Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Banking What's up with Coto

MisSnow

Why do some stores (Coto) insist on providing a passport number if you don't have the DNI? My wife and I have been here for 3 months and have discovered not have your DNI can certainly snag you up.

This happened to me yesterday. Can only buy up to 20k without providing DNI or passport. We were paying cash. Not sure what the policy is with credit card.

Just use a driver's license. I was just down there last week and many trips to Coto and Jumbo. I just always use an expired Driver's License from the USA and they never ever say anything. I did the same thing when I lived there and never had any issues.

Just use a driver's license. I was just down there last week and many trips to Coto and Jumbo. I just always use an expired Driver's License from the USA and they never ever say anything. I did the same thing when I lived there and never had any issues.
Very clever!

Very clever!
You have to remember these people behind the cash register are low level low paid workers. They are just following orders if someone tells them they have to enter a # then they just want to see something. The one I show them isn't even a valid license anymore and I don't live in that state but I always like to carry that one around so if something happens to it, it's no big deal and nothing lost. It's a major pain replacing a DNI or a current US driver's license so I go that route and it's always worked over 20 years of visiting and living in Argentina. They just don't care.

It serves two purposes that the name matches the credit card and they enter that # into the system.

Back