Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Education University courses/programs/degrees taught in English - are there any in BsAs, 2024?

StatusNomadicus

Coming to a crossroads in my search for a good temporary residence 1-year visa, I'm weighing the pros and cons of paying $2,000 USD for a lawyer like Gabriel Celano to apply for a Rentista/Rentier visa, or self-applying for a student 1-year visa. In my research and planning, however, I began trying to find programs here in CABA that are taught in English, or mostly in English (my Spanish is so-so).

That being said, it doesn't look like there are degree programs for foreigners, taught in English (my earlier searches in areas like Prague have shown that tons of universities around the world teach entire programs in Spanish, especially Master-level classes/programs). Here is what I found:

Quora.com: "If you are a foreign student looking to study English in Buenos Aires, there are several universities that offer English-language programs for international students. Some of the best universities for English-language programs in Buenos Aires include: Universidad de Buenos Aires (UBA): UBA is the largest and one of the most prestigious universities in Argentina, offering a variety of programs for international students, including English-language courses. Instituto Tecnológico de Buenos Aires (ITBA): ITBA is a leading technology university in Buenos Aires, offering various programs, including English-language courses. Universidad del CEMA: The Universidad del CEMA is a private university in Buenos Aires, offering a variety of programs, including English-language courses. Universidad del Salvador: The Universidad del Salvador is a private university in Buenos Aires, offering various programs, including English-language courses. Universidad de Belgrano: The Universidad de Belgrano is a private university in Buenos Aires, offering a variety of programs, including English-language courses. These universities offer high-quality English-language programs for international students, taught by experienced and qualified teachers."

GlobalScholarships.com: "Do Universities in Argentina Offer English-taught Programs? Absolutely! Argentina embraces international students with open arms, and several universities in the country offer English-taught programs to cater to diverse academic interests. Let’s dive into some notable examples. University of Buenos Aires (UBA) stands tall as one of Argentina’s leading institutions, renowned for its extensive range of English-taught courses."

BachelorsPortal.com: "Lessons in Buenos Aires are taught in Spanish, which is the national language in Argentina. However, there are courses taught in English but knowledge of Spanish is highly recommended for foreign students."

TimesHigherEducation.com: "Universidad Torcuato Di Tella – Argentina - This Buenos Aires institution is one of very few universities in South America that teaches in English, including literature, political science, economics, business, design, history, human rights, international relations and law."

Reddit various posts: professors "don't speak english, so you should be able to understand, read, write and speak spanish" to do any type of degree.
all that being said, it sounds like if you get accepted, the tuition is completely free for Argentines as well as foreigners; i wonder why the economy has collapsed so many times?? /s

and it appears there aren't strict entrance exams or requirements, other than a high-school-level diploma and a Spanish test (not certain about these)

so, my ExpatsBA.com amigos, are there just ZERO English-taught classes or degree programs, Bachelor or Master, in Buenos Aires? This would rule-out a student visa path to permanent residency, if so (for those of us that couldn't succeed in a tough degree completely in Spanish...especially the difficult Argentine Spanish here in BsAs). thanks in advance!

Coming to a crossroads in my search for a good temporary residence 1-year visa, I'm weighing the pros and cons of paying $2,000 USD for a lawyer like Gabriel Celano to apply for a Rentista/Rentier visa, or self-applying for a student 1-year visa. In my research and planning, however, I began trying to find programs here in CABA that are taught in English, or mostly in English (my Spanish is so-so).

That being said, it doesn't look like there are degree programs for foreigners, taught in English (my earlier searches in areas like Prague have shown that tons of universities around the world teach entire programs in Spanish, especially Master-level classes/programs). Here is what I found:

Quora.com: "If you are a foreign student looking to study English in Buenos Aires, there are several universities that offer English-language programs for international students. Some of the best universities for English-language programs in Buenos Aires include: Universidad de Buenos Aires (UBA): UBA is the largest and one of the most prestigious universities in Argentina, offering a variety of programs for international students, including English-language courses. Instituto Tecnológico de Buenos Aires (ITBA): ITBA is a leading technology university in Buenos Aires, offering various programs, including English-language courses. Universidad del CEMA: The Universidad del CEMA is a private university in Buenos Aires, offering a variety of programs, including English-language courses. Universidad del Salvador: The Universidad del Salvador is a private university in Buenos Aires, offering various programs, including English-language courses. Universidad de Belgrano: The Universidad de Belgrano is a private university in Buenos Aires, offering a variety of programs, including English-language courses. These universities offer high-quality English-language programs for international students, taught by experienced and qualified teachers."

GlobalScholarships.com: "Do Universities in Argentina Offer English-taught Programs? Absolutely! Argentina embraces international students with open arms, and several universities in the country offer English-taught programs to cater to diverse academic interests. Let’s dive into some notable examples. University of Buenos Aires (UBA) stands tall as one of Argentina’s leading institutions, renowned for its extensive range of English-taught courses."

BachelorsPortal.com: "Lessons in Buenos Aires are taught in Spanish, which is the national language in Argentina. However, there are courses taught in English but knowledge of Spanish is highly recommended for foreign students."

TimesHigherEducation.com: "Universidad Torcuato Di Tella – Argentina - This Buenos Aires institution is one of very few universities in South America that teaches in English, including literature, political science, economics, business, design, history, human rights, international relations and law."

Reddit various posts: professors "don't speak english, so you should be able to understand, read, write and speak spanish" to do any type of degree.
all that being said, it sounds like if you get accepted, the tuition is completely free for Argentines as well as foreigners; i wonder why the economy has collapsed so many times?? /s

and it appears there aren't strict entrance exams or requirements, other than a high-school-level diploma and a Spanish test (not certain about these)

so, my ExpatsBA.com amigos, are there just ZERO English-taught classes or degree programs, Bachelor or Master, in Buenos Aires? This would rule-out a student visa path to permanent residency, if so (for those of us that couldn't succeed in a tough degree completely in Spanish...especially the difficult Argentine Spanish here in BsAs). thanks in advance!
Interesting. I was just wondering about this. I asked @earlyretirement for a referral to an immigration attorney and he sent me this company. https://argentinaresidency.com/our-services

Maybe ask Lorena there for a free initial consultation and she might be able to explain it.

What is your rationale for a student visa? Why do you want residency here? Argentina is a very easy country to live in permanently without getting residency here. I met many expats that have been living here for years. Most just take the ferry over to Uruguay every 3 months. Some that I met just said they over stay and pay a small penalty. They said Argentina doesn't care at all.

Why hassle with residency here at all? I'm just curious. I'm going through the motions of maybe buying something here but I can't see any strong reasons to get a DNI here and it adds complexity of worldwide assets that I own that might be subject to asset taxes if I got residency here.

Lorena was the most fea person i've talked to in my Immigrations search. she was dismissive, rude, and kept just saying 'trust me, don't ask why anything needs to happen'

whereas Gabriel Celano just doesn't get back to you at all, and his office is too busy to handle new clients.

i want to live here legally. see other threads about people getting denied entry to Argentina for breaking the law (border crossings are illegal). to me, having a Rentista or Student residency seems like the cheapest option to follow the law. i know this is 03Dec and other threads are newer, but i just saw this.

Back