Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Question to local members

Yes, I am in Florida. I loved the lifestyle of Buenos Aires and think I would be happy there but I discounted how tough it would be to make money there. I assumed that as a bilingual nurse I could make a decent living wage there but just not the case. I tried a few different places and also private work as well for wealthy families but here but I feel fortunate my mom talked me out of attempting it and coming back home. I'm living with her to save money and I have a six-figure job here so it was just not smart to try to live there. I will attempt it when I have enough money to purchase an apartment there and have more savings.
Very wise move! BA is a good place to come if you have already made your money and are in retirement mode or if you have lots of passive income. I can't imagine too many good scenarios of moving there expecting to make decent income unless you have a remote job that is totally protected.

None of my friends living in BA make much money at all.

Hi Vino! Not only restaurant food is better, the food in general tastes much better. Vegetables and fruits, which may not look as picture perfect as in the States and Europe, but they taste SO much better. For example, those big globe red grapes that we see everywhere now, are sweeter than any of the same type I had in the US; for years I wouldn't buy plums because they were hard and tasteless. This week I can't stop eating the sweet and juicy, delicious plums.
Only complaint I have here is the lack of much spicy food. Even in Chinatown I can't find too much spice.

I signed up in Dec. '23. I was going to possibly try to relocate to BA but fortunately my mom talked me out of it. I tried looking for jobs there as a Registered Nurse and I am fully bilingual but I couldn't find any decent paying jobs. The job market there is almost impossible to make a decent living wage while at the same time prepare for retirement.

Instead I will work in the USA for several more years and then possibly try to relocate down there. Although it is shocking in just a few months since I was there prices more than doubled on many things. That was a shocking eye opener to me how unprepared I was for Argentina and possibly living there and trying to relocate there.
You've made a wise decision! Argentina is a profitable country only for those who earn in dollars. It is becoming increasingly difficult to get a good job here.

Back