Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Question to local members

I joined at the end of December 2023. Found out about the website from X. I was working here for a few months and trying to make it my home. Met a local and fell in love. Like reading and sharing information.

I also met a local (in another country) and fell in love, we were very young and I didn't think we'd last, but we've been married for 34 years! I wish you the very same luck.

November 2023 signed up. Fascinated that all the expats love my country. When I saw Milei would win Presidency I want to see what people think. Interesting perspectives here on this site. Good for read information on how people see Buenos Aires and read about economy.

Hey, Avocado. I'm glad you find our perspectives interesting, it can be quite the eye-opener how people from other cultures see your country.

Actually, I messed up this thread title. What I meant to ask was "Question for local Argentine members" because I wanted to know why you and the other Argentines post here, but the way it's been interpreted, we get to read lots of replies and such good ones.
Also, good place to rant about frustration.

I don't know about that, to be quite honest. The expat perspective comes from a very different place, life experience, and politics.

One thing we all have in common is all we love Buenos Aires.

That's right. 😊

Hey, Avocado. I'm glad you find our perspectives interesting, it can be quite the eye-opener how people from other cultures see your country.

Actually, I messed up this thread title. What I meant to ask was "Question for local Argentine members" because I wanted to know why you and the other Argentines post here, but the way it's been interpreted, we get to read lots of replies and such good ones.

I don't know about that, to be quite honest. The expat perspective comes from a very different place, life experience, and politics.

That's right. 😊
Thank you for asking. As local I like to participate to give my input too. Since Argentina is all you adopted country sometimes it helps to get perspective from local too. I don't think there are so many locals on this forum. Maybe only 7 or 8. But it good to read everyone post.

That's right. 😊
That why I also join. We had new election and I joined shortly after that. I have some friend from other countries. I always amazed how many foreigners are here in Buenos Aires. All the time I go out I meet more people that are expats. Some left but my friend also have expat friends. It is good to see how you all think.

This forum help open my mind sometimes to how I think about things. My country very broken. Sometimes we don't know how abnormal this is because we grow all our life with it. I don't have much time now but I read forum some days. All the people seem nice except for one people that call everyone bad names and communist.

I've been living in BA a long time since 2006. I mostly lurk but appreciate all of you that post and share your knowledge. I joined the forum to get my daily news about Buenos Aires as there seems to have information almost every day.

looking for information on moving here, both for purchasing and becoming a resident/citizen. More permanent move will be delayed and still love reading what's happening here esp with the constant changes.

I hope that when you get here things are less hectic. Buenos Aires is even more gorgeous in October and November, those jacarandá trees are incredible. Maybe you'll get to enjoy them this year. 🤞🏻

Even though I have lived here for 15 years, I still learn something new every day

How's life in your area? We thought about buying a place in BA province, but ended up buying in CABA. After almost three decades of suburbia in the States, we had enough. I know it is very different here (and we might regret our decision), but we feel safe here and not having to drive or travel long distances is something we longed for all those years).

Not sure I understand. What made you think that you'd learn more about President Milei here?
Because I saw at time many people posting political posts. It seem people either love Milei or hate him. That how it is in USA too with your Presidential candidates. All the time people post things about Milei here.

Is he looking for a job in the same industry?
He was going to transfer to Buenos Aires. He lived here many years ago while working for the same company. But his company is looking to possibly exit operations out of Argentina so we thought best not to disrupt our lives as we have 2 children. I visited and had a good visit but I'm not sure I would want to live there long term. It would be ok for 1-2 years.

Back