Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Ditto to @earlyretirement. I’m not quite a 21 year permanent resident, but I’m one apostilled and translated criminal record certificate away from applying for PR through marriage, not much farther away from citizenship, and I truly want my friends and family here to prosper.
Yes there is no point to free steaks if people are looting and breaking into cars. I do not want to see it come to that. It is still very safe but I don't want hyperinflation to set in and things to get desperate for people. I would rather pay more and have all the l locals benefit too.

@Howard Stern U$S 500 definitely seems low, but i used to work with dozens of Ugandans/Kenyans where most people can only earn $28-60/month. it's really all relative, though, because those co-workers would ask me (in their fabulous British English proper accent) how Americans could make so much money. i had to spoil the moment by explaining that for the average person in the USA making $30,000/year, virtually everything is taxed, depending on your state/county/city/town. i broke-down my taxes as someone making decent money at the time: 28% to Federal, 3% to State, property taxes of $2,000/year, gasoline tax and high prices, a gallon of milk costs $4.65, hiring any type of skilled labor like plumber/electrician is $135/hour in an average city (with poor results in the past 4 years), etc. those co-workers had no idea; in Uganda they would bring home USD from their Expat job, and that was the end of it; there was no property tax, federal income tax, state/county/city tax, etc. (just the usual government-imposed tariffs that caused electronics and other goods to be crazy expensive to get, like here in Argentina). so, i think the grass is certainly greener in some respects, but also the crime and ever-decreasing personal liberties are a factor in quality of life (along with the sh*t processed foods with hormones/chemicals/preservatives) to cause normal Americans to look for other places to live like Eastern Europe and South America. here's an article in Spanish about why a PS4 was $350 in the USA but got crazy expensive after import fees up to 80% for some items (ARS peso valuations from the article are are irrelevant now, of course, with hyperinflation).
@earlyretirement seems like people would contribute a few bucks for a good cause. a proposal: how about you get your BuySellBA twitter/X profile approved for Subscriptions, then offer a $5/month subscription for premium content (or even just for nothing other than a pool of money to do something cool...i'd subscribe). you could do a weekly or monthly random drawing or a vote for how to use the money. maybe in Dec2023 there's only $40 so we all vote on which forum member to buy a nice dinner. maybe Jan2024 there's $100 and you choose a local business or normal working person to gift as a sort of random act of kindness. something like that? i find the X/twitter subscription model to be really great (we just need to use the browser to subscribe, since using the iOS/iPhone app lets Apple skim off the top with a big % taken, FYI). requirements:
@Che Vos i disagree completely with you politically, from your profile avatar, username, voting for Massa, etc., but as Voltaire said, i'd defend your right to speech :) the most-accurate description of politics i've been able to find in my short life is that politicians and 'leaders' will use controversial topics to pit regular people against each other; look at the Trump/Biden/Hillary nonsense in the USA the past 5 years. regular people are trained to hate each other vehemently, and it distracts from the fact that our tax dollars are used to enrich General Dynamics and Boeing and Lockheed Martin while they make bombs to drone-strike people in faraway countries, in undeclare wars that we don't really understand or want. in the end, most people on Earth are peaceful and want to just raise families and enjoy this weird ride we call life, before we succumb to the one guarantee: death. if we had more good food, complex friendships, pursuit of art/music/hobbies/skills, giving hugs to dogs, tasty beer/wine, and international travel, less people would be so dead-set on hating other ethnicities/citizens that they actually have no idea about, any way :p i highly, highly recommend Jordan Peterson's lectures when he was a full-time professor. i've listened to every single one over a year:

i believe the cliche of 'if you aren't a liberal when you're young, you have no heart; if you aren't a conservative when you have kids and a house, you have no brain' is fairly accurate. i remember thinking we should abolish the police because 'they all are corrupt and evil' and then i became a cop for a little and saw that 99% of them are just regular people who had a story that caused them to want to be peacekeepers. i remember wanting to abolish the 'patriarchy' because something-something-glass-ceiling, and then i looked-into economics via Thomas Sowell and realized that so much of what we are instructed to believe isn't true; from women making 70%, to Black people needing reparations. #1:
and #2:

@Cupid's Daughter nice video, @Darksider415 i might have some questions for you down the road, if you feel like sharing your citizenship journey on this forum (there's going to be a ton of demand for this info since it's real-world stuff, and not just a lawyer website claiming they can do it in 2 years for $3,000). good luck!
Yes StatusNomadicus - I have traveled all over the world and in many places $500 a month is a lot. Times ARE tough here in Argentina the past few years. What I like is the locals are so friendly and I always feel like my tourism is welcomed and appreciated. I don't find that is the case in many countries. Even when I go to Paris, the locals aren't that friendly and some resent American tourists when they don't realize without tourism their country would most likely tailspin. We drive restaurants, hotels, shopping and many facets of society.

Porteños seem happy to have us in their country and they themselves are a melting pot mostly from Europe. I agree with your idea of a subscription donation service. I agree with earlyretirement we don't need something like this to do good things but imagine if we collectively as a group can see some collective donation going to work. It would be cool to see.

Thanks to everyone. I agree everything is relative in life. A fortune to one person is nothing to another. I believe in life, if you can help people out then you should. I've been doing it privately all of my life. It's only now that I'm writing my autobiography (www.3yearstolive.com) that I'm sharing more about my life and now that Netflix wants to do a Series I figure many stories will come out anyway.

Throughout my life I have helped those that are less fortunate. After I first got to Argentina after the corralito, I helped many locals. Maybe now that I'm doing my book, some of them will want to share their experiences. I set up Paypal accounts after the corralito where I helped locals and gave them a card and monthly stipend. I paid tuition for some people's kids. I think in life you have to help people out whenever/however you can.

I think that's a great idea about the subscription on X but I'm very busy. I think people don't need someone else to enable generosity but I'm happy to use my website for good and I appreciate everyone offering to donate to a good cause. I'm going to put my thinking cap on how we can best use our community for good in Argentina.

StatusNomadicus, like you, I also don't have the same philosophy politically than Che Vos. In fact, far on the other side. But I can respect others have different opinions on life, politics and anything else. I believe the world would be a very very boring place if we all liked the same things and thought the same things.

Che Vos - thanks for sharing your honest opinions. You are free to use the funds for what you want. However, I really would love you to experience Osaka at least once in your life. My office already sent you the funds so it should be in your account. Here is the confirmation below. Please let me know if that doesn't cover dinner. I just went the other night with 4 people and we ate a LOT. But just send me the receipt and I will pay the difference plus tip.

I'm proud of the community that we are already creating here on my website. Thanks everyone for making this a great community!

View attachment 426
you're such a gentle person! I hope everybody joins ExpatsBA soon :)

hello hellooo! yeah it's me! I was the one who was gifted staying in Mike's apartment! his wife and him have such kind hearts ❤️ i had to shoot content for my new clothes brand and couldn't afford 7 days of such a beautiful airbnb apartment so staying there for free was a relief of my pockets lol you can watch the review of the apartment I posted on twitter here: also i posted on my profile here in expatsBA a short written review
Fabulous video review. Would love to see the link to your clothing store?

Argentina’s restaurants shine brightly with the announcement of its first-ever MICHELIN Stars! - (Michelin Guide)​

Discover the selection of restaurants in the new MICHELIN Guide Buenos Aires & Mendoza 2024, which includes 1 Two MICHELIN Star and 6 One MICHELIN Star establishments, as well as 7 Bib Gourmands and 7 Green Stars.

View attachment 373

The world of gastronomy is in celebratory mode as it welcomes The MICHELIN Guide to Argentina, revealing the best places to eat in Buenos Aires and Mendoza.
The selection is curated by our inspectors, who were overwhelmed by the hospitality they received in Argentina, and the breadth and depth of the cooking they experienced. The Guide showcases a total of 71 establishments (52 in Buenos Aires and 19 in Mendoza), where diners will quickly appreciate that Argentinian cuisine offers so much more than just its famous grilled meats. There is a high level of technique across the selection, along with establishments that show great consideration for sustainability and a desire to champion the plethora of ingredients grown or produced around the country.

The magnificent city of Buenos Aires is dazzling from every perspective, demonstrating high levels of culinary expertise, whether you’re eating in a small bistro or a highly exclusive restaurant. Mendoza, less well-known than the capital, proves to also be an undoubted attraction in its own right. Here, the culture and heritage of food and wine go hand in hand, impressing every visitor with impressive wine bodegas that are often home to restaurants of the highest standard.
We view Argentina as a destination with myriad culinary possibilities and we are certain that you will be truly captivated by your visit to the country.

The 2024 MICHELIN Guide Buenos Aires & Mendoza counts:​

- 1 Two MICHELIN Star restaurant (Buenos Aires)
- 6 One MICHELIN Star restaurants (2 in Buenos Aires and 4 in Mendoza)
- 7 MICHELIN Green Star restaurants (4 in Buenos Aires and 3 in Mendoza)
- 7 Bib Gourmand restaurants (all in Buenos Aires)
- 57 restaurants also recommended for the quality of their cuisine (42 in Buenos Aires and 15 in Mendoza)
Let’s take a closer look at the awarded establishments!

1 Two MICHELIN Star restaurant​

Aramburu, Buenos Aires
Everyone is talking about this restaurant and the chef at the helm, Gonzalo Aramburu, who captivates guests’ taste buds with his imaginative, highly technical and mature cuisine that always showcases the best Argentinian seasonal ingredients. His thoroughly original cooking, which is designed to elicit an emotional response as well as delight the taste buds, is presented via a succession of courses (between 16 and 18) to be savoured in an unhurried fashion. Throughout this gastronomic journey, Aramburu’s aim is to introduce guests to the full extent and variety of Argentina’s bountiful produce and to explore its every facet, while deliberately avoiding beef – which can be found in almost every other restaurant in the country. The sheer excellence of his cooking is present in every mouthful!

View attachment 374

6 new restaurants awarded One MICHELIN Star​

Azafrán, Mendoza
Chef Sebastián Weigandt showcases authentic Mendoza cooking, with a focus on ingredients from across the region and his close relationship with trusted small-scale local producers. He strongly believes that the extraordinary ingredients from this area can be enjoyed in different ways and, based around this idea, his daily aim is to delight his guests’ taste buds.

Brindillas, Mendoza
If you’re keen to experience a tasting menu that showcases the local area, look no further! Here, Chef Mariano Gallego has created a space that will definitely meet and even exceed your expectations, in terms of both the cuisine and the service on offer. His modern cooking, featuring a heavy dose of imagination as well as a nod to international recipes, is centred around the best local ingredients.

Casa Vigil, Mendoza
Almost everyone is familiar with oenologist Alejandro Vigil, known more widely as ‘the Messi of Wine’, but not everybody is aware that his bodega is home to a restaurant surrounded by vineyards that takes its inspiration from Dante’s The Divine Comedy. At Casa Vigil, Chef Iván Azar demonstrates his commitment to the Mendoza region, expertly showcasing the area’s authentic flavours.

View attachment 375
Don Julio's grill during the tomato festival © Agustino Mercado/Don Julio

Don Julio, Buenos Aires
Much more than just a restaurant, Don Julio has developed into an institution for grilled meat. In Argentina, cooking on the ‘parrilla’ has acquired a cultural status that is now branded into the DNA of its people, hence the constant flow of gastronomes to this restaurant that has mastered the art. Under the auspices of Chef Guido Tassi, Don Julio focuses on the best ingredients, strong technique and even the type of charcoal it uses… all of which combine to honour this culinary technique with superb execution.

Trescha, Buenos Aires
Having trained in legendary MICHELIN-Starred restaurants in various countries around Europe, Chef Tomás Treschanski is the perfect example of someone who has returned to his homeland to showcase everything he has learnt on his travels, but with the imprint of his own personality stamped firmly on it. Exclusivity is the buzzword here, evidenced in both the ingredients he uses and the service he offers, combined with perfect control of myriad techniques that will wow diners. The tasting menu is presented in stages or ‘moments’, and changes every three months.

Zonda Cocina de Paisaje, Mendoza
This restaurant, located inside the Lagarde winery, encapsulates the true essence of Mendoza, along with the authentic character of this land situated at the foot of the Andean cordillera. In the kitchen, under the watchful eye of Chef Augusto García, the chefs’ strong bond with the region of Cuyo and its people is clearly evident; menus feature haute cuisine embedded in traditional roots and a constant commitment to local, sustainably produced ingredients.

7 MICHELIN Green Stars​

An integral aspect of The MICHELIN Guide since 2020, Green Stars are much more than a simple distinction; they recognise the endeavours of those restaurants which incorporate sustainable practices into their daily work. These establishments demonstrate an ethical commitment to their surroundings, employing every effort to ensure that the ingredients they work with - many from their own organic gardens - reach customers with the smallest possible carbon footprint and maximum traceability. In turn, this enhances guests’ knowledge about small-scale local producers who do their utmost to offer the best possible ingredients. Our inspectors were impressed by numerous sustainable initiatives (energy self-sufficiency, respect for seasonality, waste management, contribution to the local economy, championing of locally sourced ingredients, biodiversity), but what pleased them most was how these initiatives translated into what was served on every plate, showing that all of us can contribute in our own way and work together to ensure a better world.
The selection of restaurants chosen by our inspectors features seven establishments which are worthy recipients of this award, with four located in Buenos Aires and three in Mendoza.

Anchoíta, Buenos Aires
Casa Vigil, Mendoza
Crizia, Buenos Aires
Don Julio, Buenos Aires
El Preferido de Palermo, Buenos Aires
Riccitelli Bistró, Mendoza
Zonda Cocina de Paisaje, Mendoza

View attachment 376
Loin, demi-glace, romanesco, purple cauliflower, potatoes, rocket pesto and smoked paprika © Ipage/Casa Vigil

7 Bib Gourmand restaurants offering great value for money​

The Bib Gourmand, a distinction that is one of the most popular awards with our readers, was first introduced to The MICHELIN Guide in 1997 to recognise those establishments offering good quality, good value cooking. It is often mentioned that these are some of our inspectors’ favourite restaurants, as they offer straightforward, recognisable cuisine that is still full of personality. In Argentina, they have found plenty of restaurants worthy of this distinction. A visit to any of these seven restaurants won’t leave you disappointed.

Anafe, Buenos Aires
Bis Bistró, Buenos Aires
Caseros, Buenos Aires
La Alacena Trattoria, Buenos Aires
Mengano, Buenos Aires
Reliquia, Buenos Aires
República del Fuego, Buenos Aires

View attachment 377
Vegetable lasagne with tuco-pesto © Mengano

57 other restaurants, of differing styles, are also recommended by The MICHELIN Guide​

In addition to those restaurants awarded a legendary Star or Bib Gourmand distinction, The MICHELIN Guide Buenos Aires & Mendoza 2024 features a further 57 restaurants that merit inclusion for the quality of their cuisine. Of these, 42 are located in Buenos Aires and a further 15 in Mendoza.

As expected, many of these restaurants are centred around traditional and local cuisine, with a special focus on meat and the popular ‘parrilla’, such as at Benedetta, Duhau Restaurant & Vinoteca, El Preferido de Palermo and La Carniceria in Buenos Aires and Abrasado, Fogón Cocina de Viñedo, Quimera Bistró and Renacer in Mendoza.

Alternatively, if you’re looking for international cuisine and restaurants that take your taste buds on a journey of discovery, you’ll find an impressive selection in Buenos Aires that showcase the best of Mediterranean (Basa), Japanese (Buri Omakase, Kōnā, Uni Omakase), Israeli (Mishiguene), Korean (Na Num), Italian (La Alacena Trattoria, Raggio Osteria, Sottovoce) and even Scandinavian (Sál) flavours.

View attachment 378
Smoked lentil pâté, red onion gherkins, pumpkin and sriracha crisps © Palacio Duhau-Park Hyatt Buenos Aires/Gioia Cocina Botánica

The MICHELIN Guide presents its Special Awards for Young Chef and Sommelier​

In line with other countries, The MICHELIN Guide is also keen to recognise Argentina’s most talented professionals, hence its two Special Awards.

• MICHELIN Young Chef Award 2024 - Tomás Treschanski (Trescha, Buenos Aires)​

This award recognises the work of Chef Tomás Treschanski, who, at just 25 years of age, is delighting the taste buds of his guests in the kitchens of Trescha. Trained at the prestigious Le Cordon Bleu in London and in restaurants of global standing such as Azurmendi in Spain, Frantzén in Sweden and the erstwhile 108 in Denmark, he is a chef that views gastronomy as a true art form. After a period working abroad, he returned to his homeland due to the pandemic, and it was then that he took the decision to open his own restaurant, incorporating all the techniques and processes learnt elsewhere but adding his own unique personality in a constant quest for individuality – he displays fun interaction with his other chefs too.

• MICHELIN Sommelier Award 2024 – Martín Bruno (Don Julio, Buenos Aires)​

Martín Bruno, who is in charge of the wine cellar at Don Julio, receives the Sommelier award in recognition of his hard work over the years, which has deservedly elevated him to his status as one of the most influential wine experts on the entire South American continent. His selection of wines and his level of service are quite simply spectacular, showcasing highly renowned wines from across Argentina and original labels from small, almost unheard-of vineyards. Don Julio’s superb cuisine reaches another level through his pairings, which focus on diversity to bring added appeal to the tasting menu, and which are presented with great passion and enthusiasm. In the words of Martín Bruno himself: “A good sommelier is one who listens and who makes wine more accessible to people.”
The full list of restaurants and detailed information about them, including all those in Buenos Aires and Mendoza, can be viewed on the MICHELIN Guide website and app (available on iOS and Android).

This list of restaurants is complemented by The MICHELIN Guide hotel selection, which showcases the most original and trend-setting places to stay in Argentina and across the globe. Every hotel in The MICHELIN Guide is selected for its unique style, service and personality (with options for every budget), and can be booked directly on the MICHELIN Guide’s website and app. The MICHELIN Guide is a respected reference point in the world of gastronomy. Today, it is setting new standards of quality in the hotel sector as well.

Source: https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/ar...announcement-of-its-first-ever-michelin-stars
So many wonderful restaurants in Argentina and of course some of the best Vino in the world! I love love love Mendoza and that region.

Che Vos,

Thanks for participating in the forum. Happy birthday! Please send me a DM with your bank alias. I'd like to treat you and your boyfriend to a birthday dinner. You pick the place. I doubt you can get into Don Julio but if you can get reservations let me know. I'll pay for your birthday meal.

Also, check out my Twitter. I do contests each week and we award cash prizes as well as FREE stays in our properties. Even locals have won and done "date nights". I'd love to do something special for your birthday. Cheers. - https://x.com/BuySellBA/status/1722282369661772197?s=20
Hello everyone!! This is my first post ever here at ExpatsBA. I'm so happy to see it's now a reality! Buenos Aires for sure needed such a beautiful, relevant, active forum where locals & the expat community could come together and benefit from one another. Brilliant idea!

I was lucky enough to come across @earlyretirement on X a couple of months ago, and just like @Cupid's Daughter I was actually awarded one of his amazing prizes! In my case, it as a completely FREE stay in a beautiful Recoleta apartment (see below). They offered me a full week there, but since I already live in BA I chose to take just a night off with my partner (no kids!) and celebrate our 15th anniversary. It was really close to the restaurant & bars where we had been planning to spend the night, so everything was incredibly magical and convenient.

The thing is, at first my friends couldn't believe this was for real. No one can imagine that such generosity exists in the world. But yes, I'm a proof of that and - more than just a free stay - I feel that I earned a life lesson. Thanks again, @earlyretirement and crew!! And @Che Vos, hope you enjoy your special night out!

Hello everyone!! This is my first post ever here at ExpatsBA. I'm so happy to see it's now a reality! Buenos Aires for sure needed such a beautiful, relevant, active forum where locals & the expat community could come together and benefit from one another. Brilliant idea!

I was lucky enough to come across @earlyretirement on X a couple of months ago, and just like @Cupid's Daughter I was actually awarded one of his amazing prizes! In my case, it as a completely FREE stay in a beautiful Recoleta apartment (see below). They offered me a full week there, but since I already live in BA I chose to take just a night off with my partner (no kids!) and celebrate our 15th anniversary. It was really close to the restaurant & bars where we had been planning to spend the night, so everything was incredibly magical and convenient.

The thing is, at first my friends couldn't believe this was for real. No one can imagine that such generosity exists in the world. But yes, I'm a proof of that and - more than just a free stay - I feel that I earned a life lesson. Thanks again, @earlyretirement and crew!! And @Che Vos, hope you enjoy your special night out!

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to sign up for our ExpatsBA community. We feel honored to have good people on our website. Often times, people think there is some catch with our generosity. It's a shame in today's world that people think that people don't just give and expect nothing in return. This has been our philosophy for the past 30 years. We always believe you can make money and take care of people at the same time.

When we do an unexpected good deed for someone, all we ask of them is to pay it forward and do an unexpected good deed for someone else in the next 2 months. We feel the world would be a much better place if daily people are doing random acts of kindness.

@Howard Stern U$S 500 definitely seems low, but i used to work with dozens of Ugandans/Kenyans where most people can only earn $28-60/month. it's really all relative, though, because those co-workers would ask me (in their fabulous British English proper accent) how Americans could make so much money. i had to spoil the moment by explaining that for the average person in the USA making $30,000/year, virtually everything is taxed, depending on your state/county/city/town. i broke-down my taxes as someone making decent money at the time: 28% to Federal, 3% to State, property taxes of $2,000/year, gasoline tax and high prices, a gallon of milk costs $4.65, hiring any type of skilled labor like plumber/electrician is $135/hour in an average city (with poor results in the past 4 years), etc. those co-workers had no idea; in Uganda they would bring home USD from their Expat job, and that was the end of it; there was no property tax, federal income tax, state/county/city tax, etc. (just the usual government-imposed tariffs that caused electronics and other goods to be crazy expensive to get, like here in Argentina). so, i think the grass is certainly greener in some respects, but also the crime and ever-decreasing personal liberties are a factor in quality of life (along with the sh*t processed foods with hormones/chemicals/preservatives) to cause normal Americans to look for other places to live like Eastern Europe and South America. here's an article in Spanish about why a PS4 was $350 in the USA but got crazy expensive after import fees up to 80% for some items (ARS peso valuations from the article are are irrelevant now, of course, with hyperinflation).
@earlyretirement seems like people would contribute a few bucks for a good cause. a proposal: how about you get your BuySellBA twitter/X profile approved for Subscriptions, then offer a $5/month subscription for premium content (or even just for nothing other than a pool of money to do something cool...i'd subscribe). you could do a weekly or monthly random drawing or a vote for how to use the money. maybe in Dec2023 there's only $40 so we all vote on which forum member to buy a nice dinner. maybe Jan2024 there's $100 and you choose a local business or normal working person to gift as a sort of random act of kindness. something like that? i find the X/twitter subscription model to be really great (we just need to use the browser to subscribe, since using the iOS/iPhone app lets Apple skim off the top with a big % taken, FYI). requirements:
@Che Vos i disagree completely with you politically, from your profile avatar, username, voting for Massa, etc., but as Voltaire said, i'd defend your right to speech :) the most-accurate description of politics i've been able to find in my short life is that politicians and 'leaders' will use controversial topics to pit regular people against each other; look at the Trump/Biden/Hillary nonsense in the USA the past 5 years. regular people are trained to hate each other vehemently, and it distracts from the fact that our tax dollars are used to enrich General Dynamics and Boeing and Lockheed Martin while they make bombs to drone-strike people in faraway countries, in undeclare wars that we don't really understand or want. in the end, most people on Earth are peaceful and want to just raise families and enjoy this weird ride we call life, before we succumb to the one guarantee: death. if we had more good food, complex friendships, pursuit of art/music/hobbies/skills, giving hugs to dogs, tasty beer/wine, and international travel, less people would be so dead-set on hating other ethnicities/citizens that they actually have no idea about, any way :p i highly, highly recommend Jordan Peterson's lectures when he was a full-time professor. i've listened to every single one over a year:

i believe the cliche of 'if you aren't a liberal when you're young, you have no heart; if you aren't a conservative when you have kids and a house, you have no brain' is fairly accurate. i remember thinking we should abolish the police because 'they all are corrupt and evil' and then i became a cop for a little and saw that 99% of them are just regular people who had a story that caused them to want to be peacekeepers. i remember wanting to abolish the 'patriarchy' because something-something-glass-ceiling, and then i looked-into economics via Thomas Sowell and realized that so much of what we are instructed to believe isn't true; from women making 70%, to Black people needing reparations. #1:
and #2:

@Cupid's Daughter nice video, @Darksider415 i might have some questions for you down the road, if you feel like sharing your citizenship journey on this forum (there's going to be a ton of demand for this info since it's real-world stuff, and not just a lawyer website claiming they can do it in 2 years for $3,000). good luck!
Thank you for recommending that video! I listened to it. It was very good. I am a good person and don't want to feel hatred. Sometimes I think life isn't fair. Why some people must go through hard times and other people have so much money and go to eat at expensive places.

Thanks to everyone. I agree everything is relative in life. A fortune to one person is nothing to another. I believe in life, if you can help people out then you should. I've been doing it privately all of my life. It's only now that I'm writing my autobiography (www.3yearstolive.com) that I'm sharing more about my life and now that Netflix wants to do a Series I figure many stories will come out anyway.

Throughout my life I have helped those that are less fortunate. After I first got to Argentina after the corralito, I helped many locals. Maybe now that I'm doing my book, some of them will want to share their experiences. I set up Paypal accounts after the corralito where I helped locals and gave them a card and monthly stipend. I paid tuition for some people's kids. I think in life you have to help people out whenever/however you can.

I think that's a great idea about the subscription on X but I'm very busy. I think people don't need someone else to enable generosity but I'm happy to use my website for good and I appreciate everyone offering to donate to a good cause. I'm going to put my thinking cap on how we can best use our community for good in Argentina.

StatusNomadicus, like you, I also don't have the same philosophy politically than Che Vos. In fact, far on the other side. But I can respect others have different opinions on life, politics and anything else. I believe the world would be a very very boring place if we all liked the same things and thought the same things.

Che Vos - thanks for sharing your honest opinions. You are free to use the funds for what you want. However, I really would love you to experience Osaka at least once in your life. My office already sent you the funds so it should be in your account. Here is the confirmation below. Please let me know if that doesn't cover dinner. I just went the other night with 4 people and we ate a LOT. But just send me the receipt and I will pay the difference plus tip.

I'm proud of the community that we are already creating here on my website. Thanks everyone for making this a great community!

View attachment 426
I still can't believe it. I went to look in my bank app 5 times today to see if the money is still there! Ha. I can't believe it still. I told my friends and they tell me that there is some catch. I showed my boyfriend and now he is angry at me. He thinks I did something bad to get the money! I can't believe. I told him that @earlyretirement is treating us to Osaka and he thinks I am dating @earlyretirement! So much drama! I make a reservation for my birthday at Osaka. Thanks again earlyretirement!
hello hellooo! yeah it's me! I was the one who was gifted staying in Mike's apartment! his wife and him have such kind hearts ❤️ i had to shoot content for my new clothes brand and couldn't afford 7 days of such a beautiful airbnb apartment so staying there for free was a relief of my pockets lol you can watch the review of the apartment I posted on twitter here: also i posted on my profile here in expatsBA a short written review
Thank you! I will show your post and also @Portenha's post to my boyfriend. Wow, I can't believe someone like this is out there helping people. I never in my life hear of something like this. Never. It makes me think of life differently now. I used to hate people that had money to waste on expensive food. Now, I am going to Osaka. I'm still not sure this is real.

Portenha - what did your husband say when you told him some strange guy gave you a free place to stay? Did he accuse you of fooling around with @earlyretirement ? Ha! My boyfriend first reaction was that I did something wrong. I told him if he doesn't want to go to Osaka I go with my mom. Soon after he told me he doesn't know how this happened but he wants to go to Osaka too!

Portenha - what did your husband say when you told him some strange guy gave you a free place to stay? Did he accuse you of fooling around with @earlyretirement ? Ha! My boyfriend first reaction was that I did something wrong. I told him if he doesn't want to go to Osaka I go with my mom. Soon after he told me he doesn't know how this happened but he wants to go to Osaka too!
@Che Vos, good question! I think that we have built so much trust over all these years that he simply believed what I said. We had been planning to book a hotel for that special night, so it just made sense to take advantage of the gift for that matter. We chose to believe, LOL! But yes, I have to admit he's not the typical jealous type and generally has a positive attitude towards life. My friends were much more intrigued.

@Che Vos, good question! I think that we have built so much trust over all these years that he simply believed what I said. We had been planning to book a hotel for that special night, so it just made sense to take advantage of the gift for that matter. We chose to believe, LOL! But yes, I have to admit he's not the typical jealous type and generally has a positive attitude towards life. My friends were much more intrigued.
Ha! Thanks for taking the time to respond. It's really surreal for me something like this. And even the fact I'm talking to another female that got something for nothing. I read @Cupid's Daughter post too. Does @earlyretirement just give prizes to females? My boyfriend asked me that! I didn't know the answer. I read on Twitter he gives prizes but I didn't find the posts of the winners. Do you know if he gave free things to males too? I hope so!

My friends don't believe me still. I sent them a screenshot of the money into my bank from my App. But my friend asked me if I was an escort! I couldn't believe it! She said that no one gives $235 US dollars -200,000 pesos for nothing!

My friends said if earlyretirement wants to buy them Osaka they will let him! Ha.

Ha! Thanks for taking the time to respond. It's really surreal for me something like this. And even the fact I'm talking to another female that got something for nothing. I read @Cupid's Daughter post too. Does @earlyretirement just give prizes to females? My boyfriend asked me that! I didn't know the answer. I read on Twitter he gives prizes but I didn't find the posts of the winners. Do you know if he gave free things to males too? I hope so!

My friends don't believe me still. I sent them a screenshot of the money into my bank from my App. But my friend asked me if I was an escort! I couldn't believe it! She said that no one gives $235 US dollars -200,000 pesos for nothing!

My friends said if earlyretirement wants to buy them Osaka they will let him! Ha.
Too funny! I'm sorry we are getting you in trouble with your boyfriend and your friends! That was NOT our intent at doing a good deed for you. Tell your friends, they too can win $200 US dollars too. We posted our latest poll on our Twitter - https://x.com/BuySellBA/status/1730421634300039610?s=20

Just enter and we do random prizes each week. Sometimes we even award prizes to people that don't win. We have given more prizes to males vs. females. It's all random. You can see here how we select. We put in a random spin.

You can see last week's winner here - https://x.com/BuySellBA/status/1728228299393147378?s=20

The week prior was a male - https://x.com/BuySellBA/status/1706077551540789596?s=20

Good luck! Remember we give you 5 entries if you can post and tell about our website on the www.BAexpats.org website.

Once you get a grasp of what his life philosophy is, his attitudes will make much more sense. It's not only about money, it's about attention too. Sometimes I can't believe I get to chat with him as if I knew him personally. Very, very kind and super respectful at all times. And yes, he absolutely gives away prizes to males too! Indeed, on X/Twitter you can't really guess someone's gender. And frankly, when I first read your post based on your avatar I actually thought you were a gay couple. He would've awarded you the prize regardless.

Once you get a grasp of what his life philosophy is, his attitudes will make much more sense. It's not only about money, it's about attention too. Sometimes I can't believe I get to chat with him as if I knew him personally. Very, very kind and super respectful at all times. And yes, he absolutely gives away prizes to males too! Indeed, on X/Twitter you can't really guess someone's gender. And frankly, when I first read your post based on your avatar I actually thought you were a gay couple. He would've awarded you the prize regardless.

People have a bad perception of Che Guevara. People don't realize how intelligent he was. He was an author, physician and diplomat.

Like Che, I studied medicine and I'm a doctor. I'm very proud of accomplishments that have been made since his era. I'm a female physician and proud of my career and helping people. Che traveled all throughout South America and was shocked by the poverty, hunger and disease he witnessed. It was only his desire to help overturn what he saw as the capitalist exploitation of Latin America by the USA prompted his involvement in Guatemala's social reforms. He met Fidel Castro in Mexico City and then went to Cuba.

He is misunderstood by most people. He helped implement nationwide literacy campaigns. He was a prolific writer and a best selling author. The CIA is the one that captured him and executed him. That was horrible and I'm against the USA for crimes against humanity like this.

Time Magazine even named him as one of the 100 most influential people in the 20th century.

Ok, this is something straight out of a movie. Wait what??? You talk to him? Like on the phone? Does your husband care? I don't want to ask how you are talking on the phone. My boyfriend wouldn't be ok with that! Osaka or no Osaka. Ha. Ha. No, not gay but I have a few gay friends that are very intrigued with all of this.

That is great to hear I would have been awarded even if I were a male. Being in Argentina you probably realize that this isn't the norm. I have lived here all of my life and never had an experience like this or anyone giving me something for free but I'm grateful nonetheless. Thanks for responding.

People have a bad perception of Che Guevara. People don't realize how intelligent he was. He was an author, physician and diplomat.

Like Che, I studied medicine and I'm a doctor. Che traveled all throughout South America and was shocked by the poverty, hunger and disease he witnessed. It was only his desire to help overturn what he saw as the capitalist exploitation of Latin America by the USA prompted his involvement in Guatemala's social reforms. He met Fidel Castro in Mexico City and then went to Cuba.

He is misunderstood by most people. He helped implement nationwide literacy campaigns. He was a prolific writer and a best selling author. The CIA is the one that captured him and executed him. That was horrible and I'm against the USA for crimes against humanity like this.

Time Magazine even named him as one of the 100 most influential people in the 20th century.
I'm not a lesbian but I think I'm in love with you Avocado! This is exactly why I love Che Guevara so much. Not for the rebellious leftist side. But it was for his intellect and his good works. I believe he is the most misunderstood person in the 20th Century. I never met anyone that could explain the essence of how wonderful a person he was then you just did!

Do you like Osaka? If my boyfriend continues being mad at me then it's either my mom or you! We talk about Che all night!

Ok, this is something straight out of a movie. Wait what??? You talk to him? Like on the phone? Does your husband care? I don't want to ask how you are talking on the phone. My boyfriend wouldn't be ok with that! Osaka or no Osaka. Ha. Ha. No, not gay but I have a few gay friends that are very intrigued with all of this.

That is great to hear I would have been awarded even if I were a male. Being in Argentina you probably realize that this isn't the norm. I have lived here all of my life and never had an experience like this or anyone giving me something for free but I'm grateful nonetheless. Thanks for responding.
My significant other would NOT allow me to talk to strange guys on the phone that have gifted me a free place to stay. Or even a meal. I don't want to discount from the generosity being displayed as I agree it's something I have not seen in the past several decades. It is beautiful. But my S.O. would kill me if I got caught talking on the phone with him.

I'm not a lesbian but I think I'm in love with you Avocado! This is exactly why I love Che Guevara so much. Not for the rebellious leftist side. But it was for his intellect and his good works. I believe he is the most misunderstood person in the 20th Century. I never met anyone that could explain the essence of how wonderful a person he was then you just did!

Do you like Osaka? If my boyfriend continues being mad at me then it's either my mom or you! We talk about Che all night!
Thank you for your kind words about my post. Che Guevara is a polarizing figure to some but I know truly intelligent people when they understand all the good he did in life. I would love to chat with you about Che. I will DM you my WhatsApp.

and #2:

I wholeheartedly agree. I have watched these videos and they are very good. I never thought I'd see them on a food blog post! But it made my day to see kindness amongst strangers.

I would also pay a monthly $10 US subscription to donate to someone or some cause. It would be cool to give to a charity each month and get photos.

First of all, thanks for providing this excellent list of restaurants. Secondly, this entire chain of posts is quite remarkable. It reminds me of my University days. I was a struggling student in London and I was a waiter in an expensive restaurant. Many of the customers would order wine that was more expensive than what I made in 1 month. I also secretly resented them. They were usually poor tippers too. The nerve of ordering a $1,000 dollar bottle of wine and maybe leaving a few dollars.

When I finished my law degree and started making significant income, I understood it's all relative in life. But being a waiter, I tip well if service is good. I read that in Argentina 10% is standard. Can you leave that tip on a credit card? Or only cash?

@Avocado unfortunately the commies have painted Che as some sort of inspirational figure, whereas in reality he wasn't a role model (unless someone is on the side of murderous overthrow). have you done any reading other than Motorcycle Diaries? there is a lot of history on Che:

1. Murderer - "During the revolution, Che is known to have personally performed summary executions of accused collaborators, including peasants thought to have supplied government troops. After the communist takeover, he was put in charge of a revolutionary kangaroo court that swiftly ordered the executions of as many as several hundred alleged counter-revolutionaries. When even those in his inner circle began to beg clemency for the condemned, Che Guevara famously dismissed due process. “To send men to the firing squad, judicial proof is unnecessary. These procedures are an archaic bourgeois detail. This is a revolution! And a revolutionary must become a cold killing machine motivated by pure hate." https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/your-che-guevara-shirt-celebrates-a-bloodthirsty-maniac

2. Gay-hater - "Che's homophobia is expressed in the poster placed at the entrance to the forced labor camp, where homosexuals were confined, which read: 'The work will make you men,' replica of the slogan 'The work will make you free' used in the Nazi concentration camps. It intended to correct the homosexual behavior applying rigorous punishments with the intention of modifying this social deviation" https://www.cubanet.org/htdocs/CNews/y09/enero09/23_O_3.html

3. Racist - "Guevara also espoused racist views. In his diary, he referred to black people as 'those magnificent examples of the African race who have maintained their racial purity thanks to their lack of an affinity with bathing.' He also thought white Europeans were superior to people of African descent, and described Mexicans as 'a band of illiterate Indians.' In the article 'My Cousin, El Che,' Alberto Benegas Lynch Jr. describes how Che Guevara enjoyed torturing animals —a trait common to serial killers. His record of murdering and torturing people is extensive. Researchers have documented 216 victims of Che Guevara in Cuba from 1957 to 1959. Suspicion was all that was needed to end a life. There was no need for trial" https://humanprogress.org/the-truth-about-che-guevara-racist-homophobe-and-mass-murderer/

4. Not a doctor - "Che was, most of all, he was a liar. He lied about everything. He lied about being a doctor. He wasn't. There is no record that he ever graduated from medical school. He lied about being a military genius. He wasn't. He botched just about every military operation he ever led. He lied about knowing how to manage an economy. In fact, he trashed a growing Cuban economy during his brief span as Minister of Industries. People have long forgotten that Cuba in the 1950's—before Fidel and Che took over—was one the strongest economies in Latin America." https://www.prageru.com/gloria-alvarez-who-celebrates-che-guevara

6. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/are-...to-a-concentration_b_59cc0d9ee4b0b99ee4a9ca1e

7. "many gay rights activist and intellectuals consider Che Guevara a homophobic figure within the Cuban Revolution. In Gay Cuban Nation, Emilio Bejel refers to Che Guevara as 'one of the staunchest homophobic leaders of the revolutionary period' (100)." https://revista.drclas.harvard.edu/che-to-che/

Highly recommend you read all of those, if you feel so strongly about Che.

Also, unrelated, but all this talk about jealously...is this normal that partners are rabidly jealous and accusative, requiring secrets to be kept? seems crazy. just send your dude the forum link or tweet! and if it's an issue, sounds like it's an abusive relationship, to begin with.

Back