Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink Best Sushi in all of Buenos Aires - Osaka

earlyretirement

I have been a Permanent Resident of Buenos Aires for the past 21 years. I'm American but I lived in Buenos Aires for 9 years full-time. There really aren't any truly good Sushi places in Buenos Aires except Osaka and Restaurante Lima Estilo Nikkei Pacheco in Recoleta isn't bad either. But it can't compare to Osaka. However, bring your wallet as by Buenos Aires standards it's expensive.

Food is very cheap in Buenos Aires right now. But this is still a place you will spend a lot of money if you like Sushi. I used to go to the one in Palermo Hollywood but the old restaurant across from the car wash closed down. I drove by a newer location in Palermo Hollywood and it looked gorgeous.

The two locations for Osaka are:

Puerto Madero - https://maps.app.goo.gl/sg9nJiGoUygUNCJP9

Palermo Hollywood - https://maps.app.goo.gl/7Zu2616mQgHgKAPi8

I also attached the current (as of November 24, 2023) menus in English and Spanish in PDF form at the bottom of my post. It could very well change but many items have stood the test of time and have always been on the menu.

I've been coming to Osaka for a long time. It's always good but it's always pricey. I just visited last week with 4 people and we ate a lot of different dishes. From delicious sushi to the wagyu beef to the wagyu burgers. It was all delicious. I spent about $450 for the 4 of us plus a generous tip. It is the most expensive restaurant in town. But keep things in perspective. A meal like this would have cost more than $1,500+ in the USA.

Pro Tip: If you go to the Puerto Madero location, ask for Jenny. She is from Cordoba. She is super sweet and really great service. And tip generously. And definitely make sure to have a reservation. Even if they have room they will turn you away. We got there a little early waiting for our lawyer friends to arrive and although it looked like there was room, we saw 4 people try to come in without reservations and they turned all of them away. Just never go to Osaka without a reservation.

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0366.jpg

View attachment IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0372.jpgIMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0379.jpgIMG_0380.jpg

Attachments

• Carta_WEB_ENG.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • Carta_WEB_ESP.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
What an amazing review! I have been in town a few weeks but I mostly have gotten horrible sushi on Rappi and I went to a few places in Palermo Soho that were horrible. It's good to know amazing sushi is available but wow that sounds expensive. I'm used to paying next to nothing for food. I will check it out. Thanks for the great review! I love you posted the menus but unfortunately no prices on them. Probably because the prices change so much with the peso exchange rate. Thanks!

You're welcome. Yes, and now a few places don't even post their prices on their board in the front of their store as it changes so frequently. My favorite place for Medialunas, La Mantequeria doesn't even put the prices so you have to ask them. I will do a review of that place too. In case you haven't noticed, I like to eat!

But very few places will post their prices online on their website as the prices are changing so rapidly depending on the exchange rate. There is a limit to how much they can raise them so if you have US dollars it's great! Food is crazy cheap now.

You're welcome. Yes, and now a few places don't even post their prices on their board in the front of their store as it changes so frequently. My favorite place for Medialunas, La Mantequeria doesn't even put the prices so you have to ask them. I will do a review of that place too. In case you haven't noticed, I like to eat!

But very few places will post their prices online on their website as the prices are changing so rapidly depending on the exchange rate. There is a limit to how much they can raise them so if you have US dollars it's great! Food is crazy cheap now.
earlyretirement - What are some of your other favorite restaurants that won't break the bank!?

earlyretirement - What are some of your other favorite restaurants that won't break the bank!?
Buenos Aires has so many great restaurants. I LOVE to eat! Some of my all-time favorites in no certain order:

La Cabrera - Great steaks. If you go before 6 PM (you have to get there around 5:30 PM to put your name on the list). You have to pay your bill by 8 PM but if you're one of the few to get your name on the list and eat you get 40% off your ENTIRE bill but you have to finish by 8 PM so you have to order ASAP.

Picaron - Great gourmet type food. Little shared plates but it's great food. Make sure to make reservations on their website as no chance you will get a table without a reservation. The only place that has a line at 8 PM. You can book a table on their IG page.

El Sanjuanino - This place is an institution. Around over 100 years. I've been going since 2001. Same waiter the entire time too.

Sotto Vocce (Recoleta) - Bar none the best pasta in all of Buenos Aires. I used to live around the corner. I've been here more than 500 times over the past 21 years.

Helados Italia - GREAT popsicles and ice cream. There are a few locations but I go to the one in Palermo Soho.

Cucina Paradiso (Palermo Soho) - Great and fresh pasta.

Tanta Argentina - Great gourmet food downtown. Big portions so order accordingly.

Quotidiano Bar of Pastas (Several locations but I go to the one on Arenales / Callao) - There are a few locations. REALLY cheap pasta and decent quality. The owner of Sotto Vocce owns this. There are a few locations but I like the old school location here in Recoleta.

La Mar - Great cebiche and food. It's not cheap but great vibe. Although lately the service has sucked.

Gran Bar Danzon - I've been coming to this hip spot for the past 21+ years. Cool vibe, great music and good food and drinks. They have a big wine selection here.

Chori - Simple menu of mostly just choripan, fries, potato salad. You will see a line out the door most days and nights. Good and simple and delicious. It was featured on Netflix's Someone Feed Phil.

Mishiguene - Great and unique jewish food.

Artemisia - Healthy salads and sandwiches. The best lemonade in all of Buenos Aires.

Don Julio - I've been going there for the past 21 years. It used to be relatively sleepy before all the International Press. They DO have great steaks but NOT worth booking 2 months ahead of time or long lines. I see the long lines and just laugh. There are a LOT of steak places that are good.

Restaurante Lima Estilo Nikkei Pacheco - https://maps.app.goo.gl/Jsm4WyUqkfPxwVNq8 - Great food but service is really slow. Make sure you have reservations. Ask for the waiter, Alexander. He is really the best there. Love that guy.

El Preferido de Palermo - GREAT food here. Great service. Come hungry as portions are big.

Last edited:
Yikes! This is CRAZY to pay this kind of money for food in Buenos Aires. This is what my boyfriend makes in 1 MONTH working. I'm not knocking you for spending this kind of money and I realize it's all relative as this must be very expensive back home. But you should know that some people make $450 US dollars per MONTH in Buenos Aires now.

Yikes! This is CRAZY to pay this kind of money for food in Buenos Aires. This is what my boyfriend makes in 1 MONTH working. I'm not knocking you for spending this kind of money and I realize it's all relative as this must be very expensive back home. But you should know that some people make $450 US dollars per MONTH in Buenos Aires now.
Yes, I realize it's very expensive by local standards. I don't eat here daily. But eating steak and pasta day after day gets old. And I refuse to eat the nasty mall sushi or cheap sushi from Rappi. Some people think it's crazy to pay $5,000 for a business class or $10,000 for a first-class ticket to fly. But much like life, everything is relative. But thanks for taking the time to post your opinion.

Osaka is one of my absolute favorites! Great food. True you have to expect to drop a lot of money here but anything worth doing is worth doing right. This is the ONLY sushi place I can eat at in Buenos Aires. I lived in Tokyo for 2 years and after that I'm a sushi snob.

Osaka has great wines too.

We very much enjoyed our dinner here. It was my kid's favorite restaurant during our stay in Buenos Aires. Everything we had was fabulous and delicious. Some of the best sushi I have had outside of Japan.

I went here this weekend. Outstanding sushi. So far all the sushi places I have been to besides La Mar have been horrible. I ordered some sushi on Rappi and it was inedible and had to trash it. This place is very expensive but very good.

Buenos Aires has so many great restaurants. I LOVE to eat! Some of my all-time favorites in no certain order:

La Cabrera - Great steaks. If you go before 6 PM (you have to get there around 5:30 PM to put your name on the list). You have to pay your bill by 8 PM but if you're one of the few to get your name on the list and eat you get 40% off your ENTIRE bill but you have to finish by 8 PM so you have to order ASAP.

Picaron - Great gourmet type food. Little shared plates but it's great food. Make sure to make reservations on their website as no chance you will get a table without a reservation. The only place that has a line at 8 PM. You can book a table on their IG page.

El Sanjuanino - This place is an institution. Around over 100 years. I've been going since 2001. Same waiter the entire time too.

Sotto Vocce (Recoleta) - Bar none the best pasta in all of Buenos Aires. I used to live around the corner. I've been here more than 500 times over the past 21 years.

Helados Italia - GREAT popsicles and ice cream. There are a few locations but I go to the one in Palermo Soho.

Cucina Paradiso (Palermo Soho) - Great and fresh pasta.

Tanta Argentina - Great gourmet food downtown. Big portions so order accordingly.

Quotidiano Bar of Pastas (Several locations but I go to the one on Arenales / Callao) - There are a few locations. REALLY cheap pasta and decent quality. The owner of Sotto Vocce owns this. There are a few locations but I like the old school location here in Recoleta.

La Mar - Great cebiche and food. It's not cheap but great vibe. Although lately the service has sucked.

Gran Bar Danzon - I've been coming to this hip spot for the past 21+ years. Cool vibe, great music and good food and drinks. They have a big wine selection here.

Chori - Simple menu of mostly just choripan, fries, potato salad. You will see a line out the door most days and nights. Good and simple and delicious. It was featured on Netflix's Someone Feed Phil.

Mishiguene - Great and unique jewish food.

Artemisia - Healthy salads and sandwiches. The best lemonade in all of Buenos Aires.

Don Julio - I've been going there for the past 21 years. It used to be relatively sleepy before all the International Press. They DO have great steaks but NOT worth booking 2 months ahead of time or long lines. I see the long lines and just laugh. There are a LOT of steak places that are good.

Restaurante Lima Estilo Nikkei Pacheco - https://maps.app.goo.gl/Jsm4WyUqkfPxwVNq8 - Great food but service is really slow. Make sure you have reservations. Ask for the waiter, Alexander. He is really the best there. Love that guy.

El Preferido de Palermo - GREAT food here. Great service. Come hungry as portions are big.

Thank you @earlyretirement for your foodie list. I am making my way through it. I went to Osaka as you suggested and FINALLY good sushi in BA. I thought it didn't exist here. Was very expensive though....

I went here this weekend. Outstanding sushi. So far all the sushi places I have been to besides La Mar have been horrible. I ordered some sushi on Rappi and it was inedible and had to trash it. This place is very expensive but very good.
I discovered them in Bogota, they have branches in several countries. One of the best Sushi's I've ever tried. 1712517927607.png

Back