Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Banking Maintaining a bank account in the US without a US residential address

Camerer

Greetings, everyone. I'm planning to move to ARG permanently, but I'd like to keep my checking account with US Bank. However, since I won't have a residential address in the US anymore, US Bank might not keep my account open. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get around this issue, as using the address of a friend or family member won't work for me.

Look up "virtual mailbox services", pick a provider, try it out, and then update your online banking profile details.

The article in the link provided above (Top 9 Checking Accounts...) states "For many of these banks, you will need to maintain a valid U.S. mailing address and phone number while living overseas".

Believe it. I've used Schwab for many years without a problem. But when I mentioned in passing to a rep last year that I might relocate permanently to Argentina, they immediately stated they'd have to close my account if I did. I use my brother's U.S. address and don't know what I'd do without it.

I too would appreciate learning about any known ways around this issue.

Just use a friend's or relative's address. Banks used to let you use a PO Box or Registered Box/Agent but now they don't. But you can easily just use a friend's address and then change ALL your statements and notices to online only and NOTHING will go to your friend's address. That's the easiest solution.

Back