Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Is the Expat party in Buenos Aires coming to an end?

I have not calculated that but I have friends living in Thailand and they are living there for a heck of a lot less than I am spending in Buenos Aires. My contract ends on my property later this year and the owner already told me they are doubling the rent. I don't have the energy to deal with another long-term rental as I have had issue after issue. My healthcare policy has skyrocketed in price over the last year.

Inflation might slow down but it might not. No matter how you slice it, I don't find Buenos Aires to be good value anymore. I feel like it is time to try something new. Many of my friends in BA have moved out or planning to soon so that does not help.
Thailand seems to be all the rage. I have heard of more and more people wanting to move there. It just was named the best country in the world to visit.

And many places now rank it as one of the absolute best cities for Digital Nomads.

There goes the neighborhood... Poor locals. 😣
I agree. I feel sorry for locals when expats all flood a new city/country. My friends in Mexico are reporting anti-tourist sentiment in their cities as the prices are getting driven up. Look at cities like Mazatlan and other cities in Mexico with Americans moving in and demanding changes to local customs. My friend told me in Mexico City she is noticing anti-American sentiment. In Colombia, my friends in Medellin are on the verge of leaving now. I hope this doesn't happen to Thailand.

Thailand seems to be all the rage. I have heard of more and more people wanting to move there. It just was named the best country in the world to visit.

And many places now rank it as one of the absolute best cities for Digital Nomads.

Funny timing. This came up on my Tik Tok feed today.

I enjoy everything about Thailand except for the weather. The food and culture and people are the best!

Have you calculated the costs of relocating to SEA, or anywhere else for that matter? How does that compare with what you'd spend living in Argentina another year or two?

We don't really know what's going to happen here, but if inflation continues to go down, there's a good chance that things will improve in the coming months. Wouldn't it make sense to wait it out a bit?

Unless, of course, you guys feel it's time to change the scenery, regardless.
After spending some time here in Argentina, I've come to appreciate the warmth of its people and the beauty of its land. Although I once considered the idea of going elsewhere, I've heard some interesting local perspectives on the country's economic future. There seem to be indications that things could improve in the coming months. So, after reflecting, I've decided to stay a bit longer to see how things unfold. Who knows, it could be an exciting experience to witness a positive economic transformation here in Argentina, something that hasn't happened in a long time.

After spending some time here in Argentina, I've come to appreciate the warmth of its people and the beauty of its land. Although I once considered the idea of going elsewhere, I've heard some interesting local perspectives on the country's economic future. There seem to be indications that things could improve in the coming months. So, after reflecting, I've decided to stay a bit longer to see how things unfold. Who knows, it could be an exciting experience to witness a positive economic transformation here in Argentina, something that hasn't happened in a long time.

150% inflation expected for 2024. That is what it was before Milei took over. Only difference is now everything is 3X the cost.

So, after reflecting, I've decided to stay a bit longer to see how things unfold. Who knows, it could be an exciting experience to witness a positive economic transformation here in Argentina, something that hasn't happened in a long time.

That's a smart decision, Amanda. It makes a lot of sense to wait it out. How long have you been here?

I agree it's wise to be patient and once you move somewhere, give it a chance to see how things unfold if there are political or economic events that need to play out. I have friends they keep wasting money on airplane tickets trying to find the cheapest and best place. By the time you add up all their wasted expenses from plane tickets, legal bills, waste of money on rental contracts, etc. it's not worth it. They always think the green is greener on the other side.

I've been here for 8 years, I really love this country so I don't want to leave, I have faith that things will get better, maybe not in the short term but I am optimistic because this is my place in the world :)

Back