Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Visas Looking to find a job to sponsor my visa - how hard is it?

FelipeMex

I'm a native English speaker with bilingual proficiency in Spanish. I will complete my Bachelor's degree in February, wrapping up my last semester on an exchange program. Over the past 11 years, I've gained extensive freelance writing experience, including recognition at a literary level with awards and nominations. Additionally, I have three years of freelance tutoring experience, primarily focused on English. Although I'm self-taught in tutoring, my university education in Spanish has equipped me with a strong understanding of grammar and teaching methodology, making it easy for me to transition into English teaching.

While I consider myself a strong candidate, I'm facing challenges in convincing potential employers to sponsor my visa. My commitment to staying long-term is driven by personal reasons, including a relationship, and I am prepared to work part-time immediately, transitioning to full-time next year. I've attempted to drop off my CV and apply online, but so far, I haven't received any positive responses.

If anyone has navigated a similar situation or has advice on securing an employer willing to sponsor a visa, I would greatly appreciate it. I am fully committed to following legal procedures, and my last option is to explore a working holiday visa after graduation. However, this visa is limited to one year and allows only six months of work annually. I'm unsure if it can be modified if I find an employer willing to sponsor me.

Judging from your post and how long you posted it, you probably had a hard time. Most employers will probably not want to hassle with this. Many employers are paying under the table in black. Let us know how things turned out.

To sponsor you the employer has to apply for a permit at immigration and this means immigration agents inspecting his busisness and fining him in 10.000 usd for every irregular worker he might have the first time, and 20.000 the second. So, nobody wants that as soon as 50 % of his employed are usually under the table.

To sponsor you the employer has to apply for a permit at immigration and this means immigration agents inspecting his busisness and fining him in 10.000 usd for every irregular worker he might have the first time, and 20.000 the second. So, nobody wants that as soon as 50 % of his employed are usually under the table.

Yes, this is true. Plus I think it opens you up to scrutiny from other entities. Year ago, I sponsored someone similar to what you're looking for. I was doing everything in white so I didn't think there would be any hassles even if we had an inspection. AFIP went through our books and even they were impressed with everything we were doing in white. But then I can't remember which entity came through for another inspection and it turns out we had some computers that our office manager installed Microsoft Office software that wasn't all registered. So it was a major hassle as I had to buy Microsoft Office licenses for EACH computer. That was a pain.

Back