Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Registered Nurse looking for a job in Buenos Aires, Argentina

RN in BA

Hi everyone.

I am totally new to Buenos Aires, Argentina. Surprise surprise, I moved to Argentina and I don't have a job. I had a great job back in the United States as nursing is in high demand. But I just needed a change and broke up with my boyfriend and want to escape from reality for a while. Does anyone have any leads for ways I can make money?

I am a registered nurse in the USA. I worked in an intensive care unit during COVID as a travel nurse. I'm totally fluent in Spanish as my mom is originally from Mexico. I have a Master's Degree in Nursing Informatics.

Any help would be appreciated.

No offense so I hope none is taken but why would you leave the USA in a profession that is very hot right now? My sister is a nurse in Tampa and I am a physician. It seems almost reckless and irresponsible to come to a place like Buenos Aires with a very poor economy when there is such a tremendous demand for nurses in the USA.

Thank you for your service during COVID. That is very admirable. My sister was on the front lines too. I would think your skill being a bilingual RN would best be served back in the USA. If you're having a dispute with your boyfriend and want to move to another areas, the USA is a big place and RN's are making a lot of money now and in demand almost every state.

What is your legal status here? Do you have any sort of working visa or permission to work in Argentina? My wife is also a nurse for a public hospital. I don't want to be harsh like @Avocado but I do understand her concerns.

I would hope that you have some sort of legal status here. Even if it's a student visa or some type of visa to be legally living here in the country. Maybe you can care for a wealthy local that has an elderly parent at home. You may also want to contact the British Hospital that has some English-speaking patients. https://www.hbritanicoweb.com.ar/Customers/HospitalBritanico/

Good luck.

Last edited:
No offense so I hope none is taken but why would you leave the USA in a profession that is very hot right now? My sister is a nurse in Tampa and I am a physician. It seems almost reckless and irresponsible to come to a place like Buenos Aires with a very poor economy when there is such a tremendous demand for nurses in the USA.

Thank you for your service during COVID. That is very admirable. My sister was on the front lines too. I would think your skill being a bilingual RN would best be served back in the USA. If you're having a dispute with your boyfriend and want to move to another areas, the USA is a big place and RN's are making a lot of money now and in demand almost every state.
No offense taken! Yes, I can understand how it seems reckless but I was in a very toxic and abusive relationship. He beat me a few times and I had him arrested. I just needed to get out of the country for a while. I DO plan to go back but need to rest a bit and recover if you know what I mean. I am a hard worker so I'd prefer to work vs. just doing nothing. Plus I need the income.

What is your legal status here? Do you have any sort of working visa or permission to work in Argentina? My wife is also a nurse for a public hospital. I don't want to be harsh like @Avocado but I do understand her concerns.

I would hope that you have some sort of legal status here. Even if it's a student visa or some type of visa to be legally living here in the country. Maybe you can care for a wealthy local that has an elderly parent at home. You may also want to contact the British Hospital that has some English-speaking patients. https://www.hbritanicoweb.com.ar/Customers/HospitalBritanico/

Good luck.
No, I'm here on a tourist visa only. Thank you for the suggestion of the Britsh Hospital. I will go there on Monday and ask around. Also, thanks for the suggestion of a private nurse to wealthy families. Do you know where I might go about finding them?

Back