Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Carpenter

Sunny

Just wanted to share this with you. I hope you'll find it helpful.

One of the Airbnbs we rented before we bought our home in CABA needed some kitchen cabinet repairs. I asked the administrator if she could arrange it before our check-in, but the place was booked back to back so she scheduled the repairs for our first week of stay. The carpenter she chose came highly recommended by a friend of a friend. The work he did, back in January: two double-door corner cabinets and three wall cabs, replacing 12 hinges; he attached them by drilling larger holes in the doors, which he filled with hard wood dowels.He completed the dowel work on the first day and returned the next day to install the hinges, adjust and align all doors and drawers. He was professional, punctual, meticulous, and charged 230,000 pesos (hardware included) when the exchange rate was 1,200 pesos per dollar.

I told him that day that we would need a similar repair for our own flat, in April. I called him three weeks ago, he came to see the job. Similar corner cabs repair, four hinges needed to be changed and all of the cabs needed overall adjustment. I also asked him to dismantle the upper part of a bookcase, leaving the lower cabinet intact, and install magnets on all our closet doors (20). Yesterday he was here at 8:00 AM, on the dot, and left at 11:00. Today, he accommodated my request for a later start, arriving at 9:30 AM, the work was completed by 5:30 PM. He charged 270,000 pesos. This man is a gem, we are hiring him for a custom cabinet project next.

I have no idea how much the same work would cost today in the States. We renovated three kitchens in the past 26 years and, even back in the 2000s, carpenters charged an arm and a leg. I didn't shop around this time because I trusted this man's expertise based on our previous interaction.

Wonderful @Sunny! It is very difficult to find dependable and most importantly HONEST people. Fortunately I have nothing to fix in my house now but when the time comes I may reach out to you for the referral! I had a handyman that was very good but he moved down South. The portero in my building is handy enough for small issues.

Anywhere you are, someone trustworthy, competent, and reliable is a priceless commodity. Good to hear of stories going well there, too often we only hear when things go south.
Totally agree these people are valuable. Fabulous @Sunny! It sounds like you are adjusting well here in BA. I agree with you @FuturoBA it is good to hear positive stories instead of just doom and gloom how the economy is bad.

Just wanted to share this with you. I hope you'll find it helpful.

One of the Airbnbs we rented before we bought our home in CABA needed some kitchen cabinet repairs. I asked the administrator if she could arrange it before our check-in, but the place was booked back to back so she scheduled the repairs for our first week of stay. The carpenter she chose came highly recommended by a friend of a friend. The work he did, back in January: two double-door corner cabinets and three wall cabs, replacing 12 hinges; he attached them by drilling larger holes in the doors, which he filled with hard wood dowels.He completed the dowel work on the first day and returned the next day to install the hinges, adjust and align all doors and drawers. He was professional, punctual, meticulous, and charged 230,000 pesos (hardware included) when the exchange rate was 1,200 pesos per dollar.

I told him that day that we would need a similar repair for our own flat, in April. I called him three weeks ago, he came to see the job. Similar corner cabs repair, four hinges needed to be changed and all of the cabs needed overall adjustment. I also asked him to dismantle the upper part of a bookcase, leaving the lower cabinet intact, and install magnets on all our closet doors (20). Yesterday he was here at 8:00 AM, on the dot, and left at 11:00. Today, he accommodated my request for a later start, arriving at 9:30 AM, the work was completed by 5:30 PM. He charged 270,000 pesos. This man is a gem, we are hiring him for a custom cabinet project next.

I have no idea how much the same work would cost today in the States. We renovated three kitchens in the past 26 years and, even back in the 2000s, carpenters charged an arm and a leg. I didn't shop around this time because I trusted this man's expertise based on our previous interaction.
Referrals are the BEST way to find good people anywhere but especially Buenos Aires.

Hi, Betsy. I'm not adjusting that well to some things. I might start a thread on that soon.
I would love to read that. I have many expat friends living here in Argentina for many years but this is the first time in over 2 decades some of them are leaving now. It very sad for me. And my friend from the UK moved here just beginning of 2023 and she say in short time it feel so different and not what she expected with economy and budget.

I tell her all the world now more expensive but she say she sad here now with bad economy. Even if she have money she say all her local friend suffering so not fun for her.

when the time comes I may reach out to you for the referral!

Sure.

The portero in my building is handy enough for small issues.

Here, the previous owners asked the portero to fix the corner cabinets; he used a very strong glue that worked for a couple of days resulting in even more damage. This experience showed me that fixing stripped cabinet hinge holes is a job for a skilled carpenter. This kitchen was renovated 20 years ago and they did a pretty good job, but the corner cabs have very heavy doors and the original hinges were damaged due to lack of upkeep and rough handling by the maid. The carpenter's hardwood dowel method works very well. A metal plate would work too.

Hi, Betsy. I'm not adjusting that well to some things. I might start a thread on that soon.
I think this is normal @Sunny. I have lived in Argentina for a long time and some things I will never get adjusted to things here. The poor economy can make it more difficult. As @Avocado mentioned, many locals are suffering and that makes it very sad even if you can survive financially it hurts to see friends all hurting. Even talking to my Portera daily gets depressing as the topic of conversation always seems to be how difficult it is for her entire extended family to survive now.

At the best of times my local friends are all complaining about something but now it is constant. Before I wasn't too excited to make journeys back to the States but now I enjoy visiting family there. Call me crazy but going back to the States now on visits makes it seem so normal in the US. Not seeing prices go up every few days is comforting.

I think this is normal @Sunny. I have lived in Argentina for a long time and some things I will never get adjusted to things here. The poor economy can make it more difficult. As @Avocado mentioned, many locals are suffering and that makes it very sad even if you can survive financially it hurts to see friends all hurting. Even talking to my Portera daily gets depressing as the topic of conversation always seems to be how difficult it is for her entire extended family to survive now.

At the best of times my local friends are all complaining about something but now it is constant. Before I wasn't too excited to make journeys back to the States but now I enjoy visiting family there. Call me crazy but going back to the States now on visits makes it seem so normal in the US. Not seeing prices go up every few days is comforting.
@Betsy Ross you must get a smile on your face when you don't have to step in dog poop all over! :p

I am still looking forward to my trip in the winter now.

@Betsy Ross you must get a smile on your face when you don't have to step in dog poop all over! :p
Jenn, you really are paranoid about that. Here, read these articles, they might help you understand that this is something that happens in many cities in the US and around the world.

Jenn, you really are paranoid about that. Here, read these articles, they might help you understand that this is something that happens in many cities in the US and around the world.

Yes, Jenn is our resident loco about dog poop. She was traumatized as a kid or something. She will find out when she comes that it's not that bad.

Sure.

Here, the previous owners asked the portero to fix the corner cabinets; he used a very strong glue that worked for a couple of days resulting in even more damage. This experience showed me that fixing stripped cabinet hinge holes is a job for a skilled carpenter. This kitchen was renovated 20 years ago and they did a pretty good job, but the corner cabs have very heavy doors and the original hinges were damaged due to lack of upkeep and rough handling by the maid. The carpenter's hardwood dowel method works very well. A metal plate would work too.
Always get a professional to get things fixed. I experienced an issue for my amiga there in BA. She asked the doorman to fix something and long story short her apartment flooded the neighbors. Always use a trained craftsman. Referrals are the best.

Always get a professional to get things fixed. I experienced an issue for my amiga there in BA. She asked the doorman to fix something and long story short her apartment flooded the neighbors. Always use a trained craftsman. Referrals are the best.

That's right. We met the neighbor upstairs, they invited us in and showed us their renovated kitchen and living room, which looked pretty nice except for the paint job, which seemed pretty sloppy to us. A few days later, I asked the portero if he would recommend a plumber for a small job. He says, "I will ask around. I don't do plumbing, but if you need a painter, I'm your guy." 😆

That's right. We met the neighbor upstairs, they invited us in and showed us their renovated kitchen and living room, which looked pretty nice except for the paint job, which seemed pretty sloppy to us. A few days later, I asked the portero if he would recommend a plumber for a small job. He says, "I will ask around. I don't do plumbing, but if you need a painter, I'm your guy." 😆
LOL, I left out the funny part: the portero did the sloppy paint job.

Back