Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Of maids and supermarkets.

We are paying 2400 pesos per hour plus traveling expenses. We also pay personal accident insurance , which is obligatory in our gated community.

This is in line with our neighbors in Escobar.

She works for 12 hours per week
So you locals do pay less than us. 2400 seems low isn’t it? What do you see happening with wages here in Argentina @GlasgowJohn? Don’t they need to go way up?

Some people are paying 3,000 per hour but in this case the girl will only be working for 4 hours - 2400 /2500 is the average right now. Wages will rise by 10% at the end of this month after that it will depend on what happens with inflation.

The more hours a girl works in a house the hourly rate falls.
I guess I'm paying the gringo tax rate. I am paying 3500 pesos per hour. @GlasgowJohn or anyone else do locals match the rate of inflation each month? How often do you raise or what is the time table? Say inflation is 10% a month. How often do you raise it? Should you expect to wait until your maid asks or should you offer it? I am just trying to figure out what is reasonable. I wouldn't assume a maid would expect me as an employer to raise her wage 10% a month if that is the true inflation? I asked my assistant but he said there really isn't an answer to that or he didn't know with maids.

Some people are paying 3,000 per hour but in this case the girl will only be working for 4 hours - 2400 /2500 is the average right now. Wages will rise by 10% at the end of this month after that it will depend on what happens with inflation.

The more hours a girl works in a house the hourly rate falls.
Are people paying any benefits? Now they are changing the laws I believe so people can't get retirement benefits without paying in. Has anyone had any issues with maids suing you? Almost everyone I know just pays cash and they aren't formal employees. I was curious about this as someone told me maids can sue in the event of a dispute.

I guess I'm paying the gringo tax rate. I am paying 3500 pesos per hour. @GlasgowJohn or anyone else do locals match the rate of inflation each month? How often do you raise or what is the time table? Say inflation is 10% a month. How often do you raise it? Should you expect to wait until your maid asks or should you offer it? I am just trying to figure out what is reasonable. I wouldn't assume a maid would expect me as an employer to raise her wage 10% a month if that is the true inflation? I asked my assistant but he said there really isn't an answer to that or he didn't know with maids.
I wouldn't look at it like that @Spend Thrift. I think you are doing good paying a bit higher than normal. I always have paid more than normal wages but my turnover with employees is almost nothing. I owned many corporations in Buenos Aires and had almost no turnover at all.

With my maid of many years in Buenos Aires when I lived there, I paid her monotributo taxes each month. But I'm not sure if that is normal or not. With many employees I paid their OSDE bill as well but admittedly it's been VERY expensive the past several months. I also paid the most basic OSDE plan with OSDE for my maid as well but she was working for me for many years.

It's a little bit of both - sometimes she asks, other times we offer. We have been increasing every two months or so.

Increasing every month though has become more common.

Are people paying any benefits? Now they are changing the laws I believe so people can't get retirement benefits without paying in. Has anyone had any issues with maids suing you? Almost everyone I know just pays cash and they aren't formal employees. I was curious about this as someone told me maids can sue in the event of a dispute.
We give every one of our employees the chance to go totally legal. We repeat the offer after they have been with us for three months. But almost everyone refuses as they are earning some sort of plan from someone. We have never had any problems with any of them apart from the case of the girl who stole my wife's necklace , relations have been good. Our current girl is pregnant and she will be replaced by her mum, when she is not able to work.

Prices have gone much higher than 2 years ago. Yes houses in my area sell out very quickly. No inventory. We have people from the Bay Area sending unsolicited letters each week to purchase.

My neighbor did a pocket listing and sold her house the next day after showing it. Never had to even list it. Sold cash for asking price.
Besides real estate, how about cost of living? Groceries, insurance, etc.

Besides real estate, how about cost of living? Groceries, insurance, etc.
It’s gotten incredibly expensive. It’s never been cheap but after COVID it’s just gotten crazy. Not just real estate but everything.

San Diego was ranked as the most expensive city in 2023/2024 in the USA. Groceries, restaurants, insurance, gas, electricity. Everything is pricey. Orange County I’m sure is in the same scenario. But it’s amazing how many people from around the world have been moving here since COVID.

It’s an amazing area to raise kids but I seriously doubt younger generations can afford to move here unless their parents are helping them buy a house or they are inheriting one.

It's the same all over, isn't? Most young people are completely screwed and they know it, that's why so many values our generation had are disappearing so fast. The why bother generation.
I think there are some places in the States that aren't too bad. But mostly undesirable cities where not many want to be or weather is bad. But I have some family in nice cities in Florida where they can't get any homeowner's insurance now. It is a nightmare as their mortgages demand it so they are trying to sell but no one will write a policy. Younger generation seem to be in trouble and no one wants to work. They only want to work from home and don't want a real job. I see it with my nephews and nieces in the States that expect everything handed to them. They won't stick it out at a job more than a few months. It's pathetic.

It's the same all over, isn't? Most young people are completely screwed and they know it, that's why so many values our generation had are disappearing so fast. The why bother generation.
Yes inflation is a factor here everywhere but I don't go anywhere in the world now that feels expensive to me after living here. Everywhere seems cheaper. Prices of things in other parts of the USA are more reasonable in other areas. Things like groceries are not too bad in other states when we travel but you would be shocked how little $100USD buys in groceries here in Southern California. I do think the younger generations are in trouble. Their mindset and values have become distorted. No one has any loyalty to companies and everyone thinks something is owed to them.

I feel fortunate to grow up in the generation I did before all of this technology. It was a time when people had a strong work ethic. I think that is mostly gone with the younger generation. They seem to complain a lot and don't want to go into an office. They complain about everything and it's going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yes inflation is a factor here everywhere but I don't go anywhere in the world now that feels expensive to me after living here. Everywhere seems cheaper. Prices of things in other parts of the USA are more reasonable in other areas. Things like groceries are not too bad in other states when we travel but you would be shocked how little $100USD buys in groceries here in Southern California. I do think the younger generations are in trouble. Their mindset and values have become distorted. No one has any loyalty to companies and everyone thinks something is owed to them.

I feel fortunate to grow up in the generation I did before all of this technology. It was a time when people had a strong work ethic. I think that is mostly gone with the younger generation. They seem to complain a lot and don't want to go into an office. They complain about everything and it's going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I went to visit my family in Seattle a few months ago and was shocked. Just shocked how much food was. I went to Whole Foods and 1 plastic bag full of items was over $95. I think the entire West Coast in the States is expensive. When I went to Florida last year it didn't seem as bad.

Here my maid just asked for a raise and I bumped it up to 3.500 pesos per hour which hopefully lasts for a while. She complained about transportation costs and regular high inflation. Most of these maids probably think we are all rich but we are on a fixed income and this inflation is painful to us as well.

How difficult is it to find a maid there? Are there agencies where you can get them? I am not sure about a live in maid or not. The apartments don't seem too big with enough room for a maid's room too. Or at least apartments with multiple rooms are more expensive. @GlasgowJohn where you live how much are people paying live in maids per month? I would assume it is less as they have a place to live as well?

Any advice on the price of live-in maids would be appreciated.

Back