Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Banking Banking in Uru

If you are officially employed here, or have a verifiable source of income that can be certified by a local (arg) accountant, then yes.

Anyone can open an account on an Uruguayan bank with just a personal recommendation, (not even with proof of residence anywhere).

Just ask someone who already has an account to officially 'recommend' you

Anyone can open an account on an Uruguayan bank with just a personal recommendation, (not even with proof of residence anywhere).

Just ask someone who already has an account to officially 'recommend' you
I don't think this works anymore. I know many years ago that used to be the case as I referred a friend and they were able to open up an account.

If you happen to be HSBC Premier in the USA or UK they can help you open an account.

But gone are the days of just opening up an account in Uruguay with no proof of residence and no proof of income for the most part.

If you are officially employed here, or have a verifiable source of income that can be certified by a local (arg) accountant, then yes.
You can open a account in BROU bank in Montevideo in 15 minutes in the bank. But you need to travel there. You need to have a address proof, passport, proof of income or employment, speak Spanish or have a translator with you. I have done it myself so I am sure 100% about it.

You can open a account in BROU bank in Montevideo in 15 minutes in the bank. But you need to travel there. You need to have a address proof, passport, proof of income or employment, speak Spanish or have a translator with you. I have done it myself so I am sure 100% about it.
Yes. This is correct. I'm not sure about BROU but in other banks, this is the same type of stuff my friends that opened accounts there had to provide.

They live in Buenos Aires and they had to show 2 utility bills with their name and address along with proof of income. I think my friends just showed bank statements they had in Argentina as they had their salaries directly deposited into their accounts each month.

Back