Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Argentina Contemplates Major Economic Reforms, Including 'Dollarization'

so what will happen then? The peso keeps falling in value or will he eventually fix Argentina's fiscal state?
Actually the peso has been getting stronger not falling in value. The dollar has been getting weaker or at least not going higher on blue rate. Before everyone wanted dollars. Now it seems people aren't sure if the peso will rise in value. The jury is still out if he will fix the fiscal state. He looks like he is balancing the budget but some say he is using tricky in the numbers to achieve it. We probably won't know for a year or more if he succeeded. He will either fail miserably or be crazy successful. No one seems to know for sure yet.

so what will happen then? The peso keeps falling in value or will he eventually fix Argentina's fiscal state?
Milei has been a disaster. Prices all sky high. Tremendous dollar price inflation as well which I have never seen before in my time in Buenos Aires. My guess is people will eventually get fed up and riot. You can't keep raising prices of everything without salaries going up and expect to stay in office.

Milei has been a disaster. Prices all sky high. Tremendous dollar price inflation as well which I have never seen before in my time in Buenos Aires. My guess is people will eventually get fed up and riot. You can't keep raising prices of everything without salaries going up and expect to stay in office.
This is what Milei said in March:

"We believe that as soon as we open the cepo and the rebound in the level of activity begins, the salary will start to gain strongly, apart from the fact that with the fall of the dollar it has risen a lot."

Wage increases are still a utopia LOL

This is what Milei said in March:

"We believe that as soon as we open the cepo and the rebound in the level of activity begins, the salary will start to gain strongly, apart from the fact that with the fall of the dollar it has risen a lot."

Wage increases are still a utopia LOL

I think eventually wages will go up a bit but most people are struggling locally so it's difficult to pay more and when prices go up, consumer spending absolutely collapses. So it's a tough situation. Many businesses will have issues this year and also next year. Costs have all risen. Utility expenses are going to go up. The reality is that many companies will probably fold in the future. Milei inherited a big mess and it's going to continue to be painful for a while.

How long have you lived in Buenos Aires?

Back