Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Any guesses where we think the Blue dollar exchange rate will head in 2024?

Swowbird

I formally lived in Buenos Aires and I rented out an apartment to a friend for many years. The lease is finally coming off the lease and I don't think I will renew it as I want to come back to Buenos Aires. I recently reconnected with an old amiga and want to visit her as well as some others I know (bad habits).

So, since the great mid-October snooze fest, we've been on a rollercoaster of inflation in dollars, especially during the holiday season. Things are getting pricier than a fancy cup of coffee in the US or UK according to @Larry , and we've gone from "oh, how cheap everything is" to "seriously, my wallet is crying."

Now, the million-dollar (or should I say peso?) question: What's the deal with the exchange rate? Will Argentina be throwing it back to its golden days of being wallet-draining in 2016/17, or are we in for a surprise dollar dance soon with the blue dollar rate going back up? The crystal ball is in the repair shop, and the economic magic 8-ball seems a bit confused. Stay tuned for the next episode of "Economic Adventures in Argentina: The Inflation Chronicles."

What are your guesses what will happen?

So, brace yourselves for the thrilling episode of "Argentina's Rollercoaster of Economic Woes." Here's my guess on what will happen:

1. Argentina decides to throw it back to the '90s and relives the glory days of being wallet-kryptonite, just like in 2016/2017.
  2. Wages decide to play hide-and-seek, decreasing in both nominal and, especially, real dollar terms. Because who needs money, right?
  3. Inflation is having its own wild party, hanging out in the double digits and flirting with hyperinflation like it's the latest trend (50% a month, because why not?).
  4. Nominal and real interest rates? Oh, they're negative, just to keep things spicy.
  5. GDP, consumption, and HDI decide to pull a shrinking act. Who needs growth anyway?
  6. The campo joins the party, retaliating for increased withholdings and refusing to devalue. Exporting only what's absolutely necessary to cover costs. Because why make things easy?
  7. The BCRA faces a tough decision: either ditch the crawling peg or increase it, because 2% a month devaluation is so last season.
  8. The cost of living continues its daring ascent, leaving most Argentines wondering if they're living in an economic thriller.
  9. Businesses, in a dramatic twist, decide not to adjust costs with shrinking demand. They'd rather not sell and cut off their nose to spite their face. Genius move.
  10. Now, if Milei manages to pull a magic trick and gets enough dollars to dollarize, all bets are off. But let's be real, the chances of that happening anytime soon are slimmer than a peso note.
Tune in next time for more economic drama in "Argentina: The Soap Opera We Never Asked For.

Ah, the economic chess game! Here's the strategic play-by-play by yours truly:

1. Anticipating economic turbulence, I started entering the world of plazos fijos UVA about five weeks ago, strategically aligning with inflation estimates. Not a fortune, but enough to shield against potential inflation outrunning the dollar.
  2. Twist in the plot: The powers-that-be decide to raise the minimum holding time to 6 months. Undeterred, yours truly, a financial maestro, had already positioned with maturing assets in March, April, and a dash of July 1 for good measure.
  3. In a brilliant maneuver, our strategist adds tuna and wine to the investment portfolio. Recognizing these as essential commodities, they act to mitigate potential price hikes.
  4. Witnessing a staggering 50% leap in the price of the beloved wine at the local chino, our savvy shopper swiftly shifts allegiance to another chino with unchanged prices, securing 15 bottles for future sips.
  5. Observing the shopping spree trend, our economic oracle notices empty shelves in local supermarkets, a testament to the populace's collective anticipation of inflation and the scramble for essentials.
Will these moves be the key to weathering the economic storm? The saga continues in "Navigating Inflation: A Consumer's Tale."

On Saturday, I had the opportunity to engage in a round of golf with the newly appointed President of Banco Nacion. During our game, I observed the president's demeanor, which appeared remarkably serene and unruffled. The president displayed a calm and composed disposition, seemingly impervious to the complexities of the financial world. I tried to ask him questions but he was too focused on making par!

While it's tempting to speculate on the implications of this demeanor, one must exercise caution in drawing conclusions. The golf course, often a refuge for individuals seeking respite from the demands of their professional lives, may not necessarily be a venue for discussing intricate financial strategies or unveiling economic insights.

In the absence of explicit information, it remains an intriguing observation – the juxtaposition of a tranquil golf game against the backdrop of the president's role in overseeing a national bank. Only a comprehensive analysis of Banco Nacion's policies and the economic landscape will provide a substantive understanding of the president's stewardship.

On Saturday, I had the opportunity to engage in a round of golf with the newly appointed President of Banco Nacion. During our game, I observed the president's demeanor, which appeared remarkably serene and unruffled. The president displayed a calm and composed disposition, seemingly impervious to the complexities of the financial world. I tried to ask him questions but he was too focused on making par!

While it's tempting to speculate on the implications of this demeanor, one must exercise caution in drawing conclusions. The golf course, often a refuge for individuals seeking respite from the demands of their professional lives, may not necessarily be a venue for discussing intricate financial strategies or unveiling economic insights.

In the absence of explicit information, it remains an intriguing observation – the juxtaposition of a tranquil golf game against the backdrop of the president's role in overseeing a national bank. Only a comprehensive analysis of Banco Nacion's policies and the economic landscape will provide a substantive understanding of the president's stewardship.
What I took from that is you have friends in high places.

Oh, playing golf with the president of Banco Nacion, are we? Must be nice to casually drop names like confetti at a New Year's Eve party. What's next? A tête-à-tête with Heidi Fleiss, followed by matchmaking escapades for unsuspecting @fool in love ? Oh, the glamorous life of the well-connected!

Just remember to save some anecdotes for the rest of us mere mortals who navigate the world without a VIP pass to the golf course of financial insights. Until then, we'll be over here perfecting our golf swings with the local municipal club president – because, you know, we like to keep it humble.

Oh, absolutely! Ignorance is like a luxurious spa day for the brain – no need for inconvenient facts or bothersome knowledge of a Country falling apart. Who wants the burden of understanding the world when you can bask in the warm glow of blissful unawareness?

Why bother with the complexities of reality when you can float on the serene river of blissful ignorance, right? It's not like informed decisions or critical thinking ever did anyone any favors. So, here's to embracing the blissful fog and letting the sweet waves of cluelessness wash over us. Ignorance truly is the new enlightenment!

But serious question....... did he make his par?

So, brace yourselves for the thrilling episode of "Argentina's Rollercoaster of Economic Woes." Here's my guess on what will happen:

1. Argentina decides to throw it back to the '90s and relives the glory days of being wallet-kryptonite, just like in 2016/2017.
  2. Wages decide to play hide-and-seek, decreasing in both nominal and, especially, real dollar terms. Because who needs money, right?
  3. Inflation is having its own wild party, hanging out in the double digits and flirting with hyperinflation like it's the latest trend (50% a month, because why not?).
  4. Nominal and real interest rates? Oh, they're negative, just to keep things spicy.
  5. GDP, consumption, and HDI decide to pull a shrinking act. Who needs growth anyway?
  6. The campo joins the party, retaliating for increased withholdings and refusing to devalue. Exporting only what's absolutely necessary to cover costs. Because why make things easy?
  7. The BCRA faces a tough decision: either ditch the crawling peg or increase it, because 2% a month devaluation is so last season.
  8. The cost of living continues its daring ascent, leaving most Argentines wondering if they're living in an economic thriller.
  9. Businesses, in a dramatic twist, decide not to adjust costs with shrinking demand. They'd rather not sell and cut off their nose to spite their face. Genius move.
  10. Now, if Milei manages to pull a magic trick and gets enough dollars to dollarize, all bets are off. But let's be real, the chances of that happening anytime soon are slimmer than a peso note.
Tune in next time for more economic drama in "Argentina: The Soap Opera We Never Asked For.
Absolutely agree. The prospect of Milei securing approval for the elimination of the peso and the subsequent dollarization of Argentina's economy seems highly doubtful. Such a monumental shift requires not only intricate planning but also widespread consensus, which, in the current landscape, appears challenging to achieve.

In preparation for potential economic transformations, individuals must cultivate a mindset geared towards increased productivity and enhanced savings. Being proactive in bolstering one's financial stability can act as a buffer against uncertainties, ensuring that personal savings remain intact and are not depleted hastily.

Oh, absolutely! Ignorance is like a luxurious spa day for the brain – no need for inconvenient facts or bothersome knowledge of a Country falling apart. Who wants the burden of understanding the world when you can bask in the warm glow of blissful unawareness?

Why bother with the complexities of reality when you can float on the serene river of blissful ignorance, right? It's not like informed decisions or critical thinking ever did anyone any favors. So, here's to embracing the blissful fog and letting the sweet waves of cluelessness wash over us. Ignorance truly is the new enlightenment!

But serious question....... did he make his par?
Ah, the classic Argentine bravado, where the belief in their ability to navigate uncharted economic waters reigns supreme. It's like they've got a secret playbook titled "Sorting Out the Unsortable," and they're convinced it's the key to untangling even the most perplexing financial puzzles.

In the grand tango of global economics, Argentina seems to dance to its own rhythm, fueled by an unwavering confidence that they can outwit the challenges that stump others. While the rest of the world scratches its head, Argentina dons the cap of self-assurance and strides boldly into the economic unknown. After all, why worry about the details when you've got that Argentine flair for making it work, right? ¡Vamos, Argentina!

@Bobbie Burgers funny you should name drop about your golf match with el Presidente! I happened to be in Florida on Saturday and I played Chinese checkers with President Joe Biden.

Engaging in a game of checkers with Biden was an interesting experience. I asked him about the USA economy and he seemed unfazed. I asked him about all the homeless people I saw and he said not to worry about it. I told him I saw a lot of Latinos at Home Depot that were asking about cutting my lawn and they looked like illegal aliens and he told me don't worry and be happy. I told him I spent $100 at the grocery store for 2 plastic bags at the store.

You know what he mentioned to me when he found out I lived in Buenos Aires? He told me not to complain. He said this @Larry guy was saying it's the same price for groceries in BA as Miami. So we got back to the checkers but he couldn't remember it was his turn and got angry I won and flipped over the entire table and marbles went everywhere.

I disagree with the notion that wages will decrease, as there haven't been evident signs of this. On the contrary, I closely monitor the union negotiations with the government. The starting point is already an abysmal average wage of around US$300. Thus, it is highly unlikely to drop further or stay at that level in the mid to long term. If it did, labor in Argentina would become cheaper than China and only slightly more expensive than Bangladesh. This scenario would provide fewer excuses for national manufacturing to justify their struggles in global competition or job creation.

A significant change was announced recently, removing limits on businesses making domestic USD bank-to-bank transfers using dollars acquired via the MEP (stock market) to settle domestic payments. This, along with the content of the recent DNU (Decree of Necessity and Urgency), begins to create a scenario where businesses can transact between themselves in dollars without limit within the local banking system. Additionally, as more imports start coming in, prices should begin to stabilize in hard currency terms in each market.

With the removal of pesos from circulation through businesses purchasing USD via the MEP (more expensive but cheaper than inflation), coupled with the central bank reducing ARS supply, the peso's value is expected to decrease. By the time some kind of dollarization arrives, it may not be at an extreme rate like 100,000 to 1 but perhaps at 50,000 to 1 or a similar figure, making it a "less worse" journey than it could have been.

Rather than attempting to predict the future, it is advisable to pay attention to the daily news and the detailed policy changes happening regularly. The situation is fluid, and one must assume prices will remain "expensive" until solid facts indicate otherwise.

I disagree with the notion that wages will decrease, as there haven't been evident signs of this. On the contrary, I closely monitor the union negotiations with the government. The starting point is already an abysmal average wage of around US$300. Thus, it is highly unlikely to drop further or stay at that level in the mid to long term. If it did, labor in Argentina would become cheaper than China and only slightly more expensive than Bangladesh. This scenario would provide fewer excuses for national manufacturing to justify their struggles in global competition or job creation.

A significant change was announced recently, removing limits on businesses making domestic USD bank-to-bank transfers using dollars acquired via the MEP (stock market) to settle domestic payments. This, along with the content of the recent DNU (Decree of Necessity and Urgency), begins to create a scenario where businesses can transact between themselves in dollars without limit within the local banking system. Additionally, as more imports start coming in, prices should begin to stabilize in hard currency terms in each market.

With the removal of pesos from circulation through businesses purchasing USD via the MEP (more expensive but cheaper than inflation), coupled with the central bank reducing ARS supply, the peso's value is expected to decrease. By the time some kind of dollarization arrives, it may not be at an extreme rate like 100,000 to 1 but perhaps at 50,000 to 1 or a similar figure, making it a "less worse" journey than it could have been.

Rather than attempting to predict the future, it is advisable to pay attention to the daily news and the detailed policy changes happening regularly. The situation is fluid, and one must assume prices will remain "expensive" until solid facts indicate otherwise.
Well, strap in folks, because @James Bond just came up with the ultimate anti-money-printing scheme! I call it "Unprinting Bucks Extravaganza" or UBE for short. Get this – instead of flooding the market with more cash, we'll be draining those pesos faster than you can say "hyperinflation." It's like the Houdini of economic maneuvers, but with money!

Picture this: businesses can now merrily engage in unlimited dollar transactions within the local banking system. No more limits, no more restrictions – it's a greenback bonanza! And here's the kicker – as they snatch up those precious dollars via the MEP, they'll be siphoning pesos out of circulation. Poof, gone like magic! It's the disappearing act the economy never knew it needed.

But wait, there's more! As more imports waltz into the scene, prices will start playing it cool in hard currency terms. With the peso supply dwindling faster than a discount at a Black Friday sale, we're looking at a scenario where dollarization might not be as jaw-droppingly extreme. Who needs 100,000-to-1 ratios when we can have the budget-friendly 50,000-to-1 special?

So there you have it, the Unprinting Bucks Extravaganza – where pesos vanish, dollars flow, and economic mysteries unfold. It's not just a plan; it's a spectacle. Stay tuned for the next act in this economic circus!

This is probably the most sound advice. Just watch ExpatsBA forum every day and watch things closely. Really with all the information on this website there is NO need to go to any other website. It's all here.

Well, strap in folks, because @James Bond just came up with the ultimate anti-money-printing scheme! I call it "Unprinting Bucks Extravaganza" or UBE for short. Get this – instead of flooding the market with more cash, we'll be draining those pesos faster than you can say "hyperinflation." It's like the Houdini of economic maneuvers, but with money!

Picture this: businesses can now merrily engage in unlimited dollar transactions within the local banking system. No more limits, no more restrictions – it's a greenback bonanza! And here's the kicker – as they snatch up those precious dollars via the MEP, they'll be siphoning pesos out of circulation. Poof, gone like magic! It's the disappearing act the economy never knew it needed.

But wait, there's more! As more imports waltz into the scene, prices will start playing it cool in hard currency terms. With the peso supply dwindling faster than a discount at a Black Friday sale, we're looking at a scenario where dollarization might not be as jaw-droppingly extreme. Who needs 100,000-to-1 ratios when we can have the budget-friendly 50,000-to-1 special?

So there you have it, the Unprinting Bucks Extravaganza – where pesos vanish, dollars flow, and economic mysteries unfold. It's not just a plan; it's a spectacle. Stay tuned for the next act in this economic circus!
Nothing new at all for Argentina. It turns out they have been running the "Peso Debt Buffet" for quite a while – a delicacy enjoyed by governments near and far. It's the classic recipe: let inflation loose, watch those pesos vanish, and, voila, the debt practically disappears. Like a financial Houdini, but with less dramatic flair.

And here's the inside scoop – Melconian, the maestro of economic wizardry, has been serenading us with these magical tunes all along. It's the greatest hits album of financial strategies: "Inflation's Tango," "Peso Vanishing Act," and the chart-topping "Debt Disappearing Symphony."

But wait, there's a twist in this riveting saga – if Bullrich had snagged the presidential chair, you bet we'd still be grooving to the same tunes. The Peso Debt Buffet is a bipartisan affair, a culinary masterpiece that transcends political flavors.

So, here's to Argentina's timeless traditions – where debts disappear, inflation dances, and economists serenade us with the sweet melodies of economic prestidigitation. Keep your eyes peeled for the next encore!

Absolutely, it's the dance of the currencies – a tango between the almighty dollar and the resilient peso. When the stage is set, and businesses are given the green light to shimmy and shake in dollars, who wouldn't join the currency conga line?

So, if your clients suddenly find themselves without a cloak of excuses, dodging the 'we can only pay in pesos' routine, it's USD all the way. Demand it, cha-cha your way to a more stable transaction ground, and let the ARS waltz to its own rhythm.

As for the fate of the ARS, well, let it pirouette into the background. You've got your partner in the form of the dollar, and as long as the backstage crew (banks, policies, and the elusive brecha cambiaria) ensures a smooth costume change between USD and ARS, the show goes on.

So, here's to a choreography of financial flexibility – where USD steals the spotlight, ARS has its moments, and you lead the dance of economic adaptability. Keep those currency moves sharp!

Ah, the economic telenovela continues with its twists and turns, keeping us all on the edge of our seats! So, the master plan is a 2% monthly devaluation of the official dolar – a slow and steady dance with inflation. But wait, the plot thickens! The $800 rate, once a shining star, might lose its glitter as inflation pirouettes around, making it less appealing than the parallel dollars.

Picture this: the official dolar, adorned with a 2% monthly devaluation tiara, tries to maintain its allure, but the relentless inflation drama threatens its competitiveness. And here comes the cue for the parallel dollars to take center stage, waltzing into the spotlight with a higher rate, stealing the scene once again.

Now, I'd love to spill the beans on this Spanish article's insights, but alas, my linguistic talents are a bit limited. A translator, however, could unveil the behind-the-scenes drama for those craving a peek into the economic soap opera! Stay tuned for more financial theatrics!

This article explains what so called "experts" think is going on. I think it makes sense but you be the judge:

It's like a telenovela where the exchange rates have their own dramatic storyline! In the first thrilling episode, the official exchange rate goes from 360 to 800 – a jaw-dropping twist that leaves us all gasping. But hold your popcorn, because the audience seems unfazed, and the parallel dollar stays in the shadows.

Now, in this riveting sequel, we're teased with the prospect that a modest hop from 800 to 816 could be the trigger for a dramatic surge in appetite for the parallel dollar. Who would've thought such a slight nudge could shake the financial stage so profoundly?

In the world of exchange rates, it seems the audience is quite the connoisseur, demanding just the right blend of intrigue and surprise. Will the 816 rate be the cliffhanger that finally steals the spotlight? Tune in next time for the thrilling continuation of "As the Exchange Rate Turns"!

Ah, the intricate dance of numbers and seasons in the Argentine financial tango! Picture this: the official dollar, in its monthly waltz, gracefully rises by 2%, attempting to maintain its elegant composure. Meanwhile, the mischievous inflation, a wild partner, cha-chas with a 30% flair, threatening to steal the spotlight.

Yet, on this financial dance floor, the harvest makes a grand entrance, a seasonal maestro, armed with a generous supply of dollars. Will it be the savior that keeps the exchange rate charade in check for the next few months? Only time will tell in this captivating performance of "Dollars, Inflation, and Harvest: A Tango Tale"! Stay tuned for the thrilling twists and turns!

Ah, the economic chess game! Here's the strategic play-by-play by yours truly:

1. Anticipating economic turbulence, I started entering the world of plazos fijos UVA about five weeks ago, strategically aligning with inflation estimates. Not a fortune, but enough to shield against potential inflation outrunning the dollar.
  2. Twist in the plot: The powers-that-be decide to raise the minimum holding time to 6 months. Undeterred, yours truly, a financial maestro, had already positioned with maturing assets in March, April, and a dash of July 1 for good measure.
  3. In a brilliant maneuver, our strategist adds tuna and wine to the investment portfolio. Recognizing these as essential commodities, they act to mitigate potential price hikes.
  4. Witnessing a staggering 50% leap in the price of the beloved wine at the local chino, our savvy shopper swiftly shifts allegiance to another chino with unchanged prices, securing 15 bottles for future sips.
  5. Observing the shopping spree trend, our economic oracle notices empty shelves in local supermarkets, a testament to the populace's collective anticipation of inflation and the scramble for essentials.
Will these moves be the key to weathering the economic storm? The saga continues in "Navigating Inflation: A Consumer's Tale."
Ah, the allure of the Forex stage, where currencies dance and fortunes sway in the unpredictable winds of the market! Yet, here I am, navigating the sea of tuna cans, my vessel of financial wisdom floating amidst a sea of salty uncertainty.

Who needs the adrenaline of currency speculation when you can savor the subtle art of canned goods investment? The rhythmic clinking of tuna cans mirrors the heartbeat of a shrewd investor, riding the waves of gastronomic and financial satisfaction. Join me on this culinary voyage, where the high seas of profitability meet the savory shores of canned delights!

Ah, the age-old dance of predictions and uncertainties, where the fields of soybeans become the stage for economic drama. Will the farmers sway to the tune of export opportunities, or will they play it safe and store their soy treasures?

In the grand spectacle of economic theatrics, the actors on this stage, be they Kulaks or prudent farmers, must choose their roles wisely. Milei, the director of this unfolding drama, eagerly anticipates a torrent of dollars cascading down like rain. But, as history has shown, economic forecasts can sometimes resemble elusive mirages, vanishing before fruition.

Will the campo emerge as the unsung hero, or will accusations fly like confetti in a gusty wind? Only time will reveal the twists and turns of this agro-economic tale, where soybeans, inflation, and the promise of dollars mingle in a complex choreography. The audience watches, popcorn in hand, awaiting the next act in the saga of economic performance.

Ah, the thrilling suspense of the economic rollercoaster! Will supply and demand take center stage, or will we witness a plot twist that leaves us all on the edge of our seats? Let's stay tuned to see what happens.

As the curtain rises on this economic drama, healthcare and rent emerge as the protagonists in a tale of fluctuating prices and uncertain futures. Will the market dance to the whims of supply and demand, or will external forces shape the narrative, turning healthcare and rent into the unexpected stars of the show?

In this riveting saga of inflation and cost fluctuations, the audience clutches their wallets, bracing for the impact on their daily lives. Stay tuned for the next episode of "Economic Adventures: The Quest for Stability," where the plot thickens, and the characters navigate the unpredictable twists of market dynamics.

Back