Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Banking Actual money exchange house (cueva) vs. prices quoted on financial websites

Pink Panther

I went to exchange money at the casa de cambio (cueva) earlier this week. They were buying US Dollars at 915 pesos to $1 USD and selling for 950 pesos to $1 USD which was different from what the rate was when I checked right before going. I use https://www.ambito.com/contenidos/dolar.html and it was showing 895 and 905. The rate fluctuates so much sometimes and other times it's dead. I wonder how things will play out after Milei takes office.

The online websites displayed rates of 905 and 925 in the morning. However, my local currency exchange (cueva) offered a rate at 905. Later in the afternoon, the rates further decreased to 890 and 910. I can't help but think it will go back up over 1,000 to $1 soon.

It's a totally informal market. The rate is never what it's listed for on the websites. The rate is always changing from minute to minute before it's updated online. It will be close to the blue rate but I never have found it exactly the same. It's not updated in real time I don't think. They are good to give you a general idea but sometimes I will look at different websites and they are different even amongst the various websites.

Back