Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports 5 Beautiful days in Buenos Aires

Travel01

We just got back from our trip, which included 5 days in Buenos Aires before and after our cruise to Antarctica. I started following this forum a few months before our trip, so I wanted to share our experience.

Money was a common concern, but we found it quite easy. We exchanged $150 US to pesos at our hotel without bothering to check rates elsewhere, and used credit cards for almost everything. Only one restaurant didn't accept cards.

Uber was a lifesaver. We signed up just before leaving home and used it about 10 times. It was incredibly convenient, with short wait times for pick-ups. Plus, it's cheap. Many drivers didn't speak English, but they appreciated my attempts at Spanish. When we arrived, we used the Taxi Ezezia counter, which was easy, though the car was a bit rough.

The museums were a highlight. MALBA had a stunning collection, MAMBA was smaller but free, and the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes was excellent and also free when we visited. The tour of Teatro Colon was a must-do.

We splurged on a private day tour covering La Boca, San Telmo, and Recoleta. It was pricey but worth it for the insider knowledge. And of course, we couldn't miss a tango show – we're tourists, after all.

Buenos Aires is gorgeous, with plenty of green spaces and fascinating architecture. Despite its reputation, we never felt unsafe. My husband navigated with his phone, and we took the usual precautions. We heard about thefts, but we never travel with jewelry, even at home.

English was limited, so my rusty Spanish came in handy. It's funny how visitors to Toronto get help in English, but we managed fine with just a bit of Spanish in the restaurants.
Despite inflation, Buenos Aires is surprisingly affordable for visitors. We didn't stress about tourist prices, unlike in some other places we've been.

The airport (EZE) was smooth sailing both ways, with no lines as some had warned. Overall, it was a fantastic trip, and Buenos Aires left a lasting impression.

Happy travels!

Great report and you visited some of my favorite places. It is great to hear that your hotel exchanged pesos for you. This is more and more common after Milei won the Presidential elections. It is good to read recent trip reports to confirm to others that prices are really still very affordable for Americans or Canadian tourists. There is much unnecessary doom and gloom by expats but they forget it is still very affordable here compared to other cities. I saw a recent Tik Tok from a New Yorker that recently went to Toronto and was shocked how expensive things were there.

Many are shocked to see just how affordable Ubers are here. There are so many drivers now that wait times these days is almost never long. Glad you had a good trip.

Back