Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Why is President Milei teaming up with Peronistas in his administration?

MikeYoung

Admittedly, I am totally new to Argentina. I thought Milei was going to change the status quo. I just read this article below. Why is he naming former Peronist ministers to his cabinet??? Wasn't Scioli the Kirchner candidate for President that ran against Macri??

Is this strange or is this normal for Argentina? It seems to go against everything he said during his speeches.

Admittedly, I am totally new to Argentina. I thought Milei was going to change the status quo. I just read this article below. Why is he naming former Peronist ministers to his cabinet??? Wasn't Scioli the Kirchner candidate for President that ran against Macri??

Is this strange or is this normal for Argentina? It seems to go against everything he said during his speeches.

I have to admit this was a very strange oddball pick for me. It seems like a favor was cashed in or something but very bizarre selection.

No to answer your question this is NOT normal. Here is another article talking about how strange it is. It is one thing to hire Macri's chronies but quite another to start adding Kirchner's handpicked staff.

I thought this was a joke until I clicked in and saw it was real.

Very odd. No one knows why he made this move. It will be interesting to see how this plays out but some odd selections to be sure.

Yes he wasn't just any Peronista! He was VP under Kirchner and also a likely candidate to run for President in the future. Very strange.
Watch and see. Milei won't finish his term and most likely Scioli will take over.

When will you Milei voters realize you made a mistake.
this is kinda funny, because you and CheVos and maybe 1 or 2 other Peronists (Flamingo?) might be the only ones that actually vote in BsAs. @Betsy Ross do you vote? @earlyretirement do you vote? a handful of other Expats who may be able to vote? (and that doesn't mean they even did)

everything always comes back to "Milei bad" for you - classic Milei Derangement Syndrome. you must think 76% of Cordoba Province and over 50% of CABA are idiots, too, huh?

I was willing to give Milei a chance but him teaming up with the kind of people he warned against is very odd indeed.
maybe this is his way of doing a sort of Ranked-Choice democracy? so the Peronists/Kirchnerists can see they have some representation, too?

no one knows. but it reminds me of how Trump said he'd drain the Swamp, then he hired Acosta, Fauci, Pompeo, etc. and basically did 90% the same as Obama and now Biden. i hope Milei isn't a Fake-Drainer, too! so far, i'll take all the de-regulation with a weird Israel obsession and one Kirchnerist cabinet member.

Watch and see. Milei won't finish his term and most likely Scioli will take over.
lol, @Avocado who is a local Peronist and spends hours a day on an Expat forum, is here to teach us all with their wisdom! great crystal ball prediction you have there. since Milei is the only one saying not to print more money, and everyone else has failed with hyperinflation and 50% poverty, anything is better than the old status quo

What could be the reason he would do something like this? Sounds like someone is cashing in an I owe you chip or something?
I have been told from local friends that Milei must do this to help get support from the political party. So a necessary evil. It remains to be seen if these people can actually drum up support. My friends that voted Milei actually HATE Macri and say he is to blame as much or more than Peronistas. It sounds like all of these past Presidents have been horrible.

this is kinda funny, because you and CheVos and maybe 1 or 2 other Peronists (Flamingo?) might be the only ones that actually vote in BsAs. @Betsy Ross do you vote? @earlyretirement do you vote? a handful of other Expats who may be able to vote? (and that doesn't mean they even did)

everything always comes back to "Milei bad" for you - classic Milei Derangement Syndrome. you must think 76% of Cordoba Province and over 50% of CABA are idiots, too, huh?

maybe this is his way of doing a sort of Ranked-Choice democracy? so the Peronists/Kirchnerists can see they have some representation, too?

no one knows. but it reminds me of how Trump said he'd drain the Swamp, then he hired Acosta, Fauci, Pompeo, etc. and basically did 90% the same as Obama and now Biden. i hope Milei isn't a Fake-Drainer, too! so far, i'll take all the de-regulation with a weird Israel obsession and one Kirchnerist cabinet member.

lol, @Avocado who is a local Peronist and spends hours a day on an Expat forum, is here to teach us all with their wisdom! great crystal ball prediction you have there. since Milei is the only one saying not to print more money, and everyone else has failed with hyperinflation and 50% poverty, anything is better than the old status quo
No, I can't vote in the elections. You have to be a citizen to vote. I have been a permanent resident for 20 years but I haven't gotten my passport yet. I easily qualify and 2 of my kids were born in Argentina and already have passports but I haven't gotten around to it but I will once I permanently move back to Argentina.

The only expats that can vote are those who have gone through the citizenship process to become Argentine citizens. I know very few expats that have gotten Citizenship even though they qualify for it. Even if you look at popular Twitter/X locals that have lived in Buenos Aires for over a decade and quality, you will find that they haven't gotten Citizenship there for one reason or another.

I would imagine that Milei has gotten these various casta like Scioli, Macri, Barrionuevo in his administration to help get bills and legislation passed. However, it remains to be seen how effective they will be and it is a big turn off for some that have supported him. I wish the other side would allow him to try his changes. Things could be at a stalemate for a while which is sad for Argentina.

Back