Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

if anyone is unsure of what they'll get, no need to go to the WU and find out...just spend 10 seconds here https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/home.html

and see it still shows 1028, $1 USD to Pesos. quick and accurate :)
I thought people were posting so we would have a history of what the WU rate was over time? Am I mistaken. Isn't that the same as your MEP that you post? Maybe I am wrong.

I thought people were posting so we would have a history of what the WU rate was over time? Am I mistaken. Isn't that the same as your MEP that you post? Maybe I am wrong.
Yes you are correct @MikeYoung that is the reason why people are posting what they are exchanging at so people can go back in the future and see how the WU rate changed over time.

I read in another thread some expats are getting emails from their bank asking them to fill out more paperwork and getting more scrutinized. Does anyone know if WU payments are monitored by AFIP?

In theory, AFIP follows all transactions above a certain amount, which changes all the time.

To be honest, I don't think they do unless you are moving several thousand dollars per month.

I read in another thread some expats are getting emails from their bank asking them to fill out more paperwork and getting more scrutinized. Does anyone know if WU payments are monitored by AFIP?

I am not understanding the fear of people. Is this because they have undeclared income? Is that the worry? They are declaring $X as income and they are really making $XX?

I am not understanding the fear of people. Is this because they have undeclared income? Is that the worry? They are declaring $X as income and they are really making $XX?
That is correct. Argentina is notorious for its citizens not declaring all of their income or assets. Argentina has an asset tax so locals try not to declare as much as possible and many people work under the table to avoid taxes.
I didn't get the mail from Santander Rio. Maybe they know I am an honest guy....
You and I both. :)

Does anyone know the maximum limits you can send in via Western Union each transfer and is there a monthly or yearly limit?
According to this URL the limits are below but I don't think it is accurate as my friend sends more than that each month.

At any of our Western Union stores or participating agent locations, you will be able to send up to 3,588,000 ARS per money transaction and up to 3,588,000 ARS total per month.

You can also send a total of 3,744,000 ARS per calendar year. If you want to send more than 3,744,000 ARS within a calendar year, you will need to provide additional documents to be able to do so.

According to this URL the limits are below but I don't think it is accurate as my friend sends more than that each month.

At any of our Western Union stores or participating agent locations, you will be able to send up to 3,588,000 ARS per money transaction and up to 3,588,000 ARS total per month.

You can also send a total of 3,744,000 ARS per calendar year. If you want to send more than 3,744,000 ARS within a calendar year, you will need to provide additional documents to be able to do so.

I don't think that is accurate or is out of date. This link says $50,000 USD to Argentina which is I am assuming an annual limit. Click on "how much can I send to Argentina".

I got 1,087 pesos to $1 USD this morning and something strange is when I requested the transfer on my App it asked me to verify my identification info from my account. I use my USA passport but I have a DNI. I was sending funds from my bank account located in the USA. This has never happened before.

I got 1,087 pesos to $1 USD this morning and something strange is when I requested the transfer on my App it asked me to verify my identification info from my account. I use my USA passport but I have a DNI. I was sending funds from my bank account located in the USA. This has never happened before.
This along with the new banking emails and letters tells me something is changing. What I don't know. Maybe they are trying to do a better job of cross matching people that have residency here but claiming no/little income but constantly sending funds to themselves.

How did they make you verify your identity? What did you have to provide them?

How did they make you verify your identity? What did you have to provide them?
I had to upload my State ID. I don't live in the USA but I keep an updated driver's license from California. They also made me verify my social security number and an address in the USA (my sister's house as I use that for bank statements). I assume they always were tracking transactions but maybe they are trying to tie transfers to DNI numbers but not sure if there is a way to do that. My US passport number changed since I originally applied for my DNI. But the date of birth and name of course match up.

I had to upload my State ID. I don't live in the USA but I keep an updated driver's license from California. They also made me verify my social security number and an address in the USA (my sister's house as I use that for bank statements). I assume they always were tracking transactions but maybe they are trying to tie transfers to DNI numbers but not sure if there is a way to do that. My US passport number changed since I originally applied for my DNI. But the date of birth and name of course match up.
Something is definitely changing. I have a DNI that I got many years ago via pensionista. I have permanent residency here but do not declare any income here. I have never had issues sending money to myself via WU but today it is asking me to verify the source of funds and will not work. I never had issues with this.

I have a friend working at the Western Union office and she told me that Milei wants to track in greater detail all people that are sending in money and also going to track it with their passport #. And the banks and all companies are going to track money flow. Time to go back to my Cueva to send money in.

Something is definitely changing. I have a DNI that I got many years ago via pensionista. I have permanent residency here but do not declare any income here. I have never had issues sending money to myself via WU but today it is asking me to verify the source of funds and will not work. I never had issues with this.

I have a friend working at the Western Union office and she told me that Milei wants to track in greater detail all people that are sending in money and also going to track it with their passport #. And the banks and all companies are going to track money flow. Time to go back to my Cueva to send money in.

WU lately for a few friends also is asking to verify their ID's, etc. Timing doesn't seem like coincidence with the other thread about banks contacting clients about deposits, etc. I would assume many of the people sending in WU payments are tourists but maybe the government will be able to track with migrations as well as it's linked by passport #. None of the other administrations have really cared about this but Milei seems to be wanting to get Argentina out of grey status with worldwide banking sector.

I know a lot of locals get payments via Fedex for work they do. Not sure how they will get affected as I assume they aren't declaring all this income. Probably they are wanting to track that as well.

Back