Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

What accounts for the significant difference between the Western Union exchange rate and the blue dollar rate in the past month?
This is my personal interpretation, but here's my explanation.

Remittance companies like Western Union, involved in the dollar-to-peso conversion process in Argentina, play a crucial role in the Contado con Liquidación (CCL) system. In this setup, they receive pesos in Argentina and pay out dollars in the USA. The cycle depends on efficiently unloading pesos, prompting these companies to adjust their "WU rate" accordingly. When there's a surplus of pesos, they increase the rate to attract more remittance transactions. Conversely, during periods of reduced CCL activity, they can lower the rate to enhance their profit margins.

Therefore, a decrease in the WU Rate suggests that, for some reason, there's a decline in the amount of money being sent out of the country through the CCL mechanism. However, this may seem counterintuitive at first glance.

This is my personal interpretation, but here's my explanation.

Remittance companies like Western Union, involved in the dollar-to-peso conversion process in Argentina, play a crucial role in the Contado con Liquidación (CCL) system. In this setup, they receive pesos in Argentina and pay out dollars in the USA. The cycle depends on efficiently unloading pesos, prompting these companies to adjust their "WU rate" accordingly. When there's a surplus of pesos, they increase the rate to attract more remittance transactions. Conversely, during periods of reduced CCL activity, they can lower the rate to enhance their profit margins.

Therefore, a decrease in the WU Rate suggests that, for some reason, there's a decline in the amount of money being sent out of the country through the CCL mechanism. However, this may seem counterintuitive at first glance.
Certainly, considering that physical currency isn't physically sent out of the country, only orders are involved.

Western Union receives pesos from immigrants or others in Argentina who intend to pay someone abroad. These same pesos are then paid to expats in Argentina in exchange for dollars sent to Western Union abroad by a sender. The receipts that Western Union obtains abroad are then disbursed to the beneficiaries.

Wow, the lines at the Western Union offices are really long. I've never seen anything like this. I've seen long lines but not this long. Maybe it's because it's a holiday weekend?

The MEP rate today when I was looking at it was around 920 to 933 to $1 USD (https://www.dolarito.ar) and the Western Union rate was only 835 to $1 USD when I checked earlier today. This means it's probably a better deal to just use your credit card now!

Western Union might be around the same or maybe even lower. I saw this:

You will almost always get a better rate by just bringing $100 US dollar bills to Argentina and exchanging at an exchange house.

You can see today's rates at: https://www.ambito.com/contenidos/dolar.html

Money matters are a bit confusing for the typical tourist. You can see all those crazy rates for different things but if you bring $100 US bills you will get about what is printed at the Blue Dollar rate on that link.

Here is today's rate that I got sending $100 US via Western Union. 838 pesos to $1 US and I had to pay $5.99 fee. That fee adds insult to injury where I could have received 1,050 pesos to $1 US at an exchange house.

But to make matters more complicated, sometimes the Western Union rate is actually higher than the Blue Dollar rate. There were a few times this summer in July 2023 that Western Union was paying even more than the Blue Dollar rate. It's rare but it's always good to compare the exchange rate on that website above.

IMG_0464.jpg

Wow, the lines at the Western Union offices are really long. I've never seen anything like this. I've seen long lines but not this long. Maybe it's because it's a holiday weekend?

The MEP rate today when I was looking at it was around 920 to 933 to $1 USD (https://www.dolarito.ar) and the Western Union rate was only 835 to $1 USD when I checked earlier today. This means it's probably a better deal to just use your credit card now!

Western Union might be around the same or maybe even lower. I saw this:

Wow, this is great news then because this means we can just use our foreign credit card and get as good if not better rate? Great news! Thanks Javier Milei!

Today in the afternoon I got a quote to send myself a Western Union and the rate was 940 pesos to $1USD. Visa was giving 945 to $1USD. Why would anyone use Western Union for most things. Yes I know if they have to pay rent or something but why would you not use credit cards whenever you can?

Last month foreign credit cards were way behind. I hope this trend keeps up! I love getting frequent flyer points AND having a better rate than WU!

Also as an aside note, I can never get Western Union to send money to my local bank account. It never works! I have to use the Remitly App but the exchange rate isn't as good as WU but I guess the sending fee is usually lower at around $2.99 for $100. So maybe it's the same.

But what rate exactly do you get when you use a foreign credit card? Is it the MEP rate? Last week the MEP was posted around 860 pesos to $1 US but I only got 810 to $1 US. Does anyone know exactly what the rate is?
It can all be very confusing. See this post to get details about the MEP rate:

But what rate exactly do you get when you use a foreign credit card? Is it the MEP rate? Last week the MEP was posted around 860 pesos to $1 US but I only got 810 to $1 US. Does anyone know exactly what the rate is?
Crazy as that is much better than the blue dollar rate I see online

I have been checking the past several days and the rates aren't changing too much. Before that the blue dollar rate was about what Western Union was offering a few weeks ago.

It's a major hassle using WU for me because I have to go wait in line and pay fees, etc. I wish I brought more cash with me so I didn't have to hassle with WU. But great I can use my foreign credit card on everything else but I can't do that with many expenses where I need cash.

I'm not sure how I feel about crypto. It is all so confusing. I keep reading about accounts getting locked up, high fees and I saw the on the old forum!

Back