Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

WU lately for a few friends also is asking to verify their ID's, etc. Timing doesn't seem like coincidence with the other thread about banks contacting clients about deposits, etc. I would assume many of the people sending in WU payments are tourists but maybe the government will be able to track with migrations as well as it's linked by passport #. None of the other administrations have really cared about this but Milei seems to be wanting to get Argentina out of grey status with worldwide banking sector.

I know a lot of locals get payments via Fedex for work they do. Not sure how they will get affected as I assume they aren't declaring all this income. Probably they are wanting to track that as well.
I would have thought they would prefer to have as much money sent into Argentina as they could get. But what do I know. I sent my novia $500 worth of pesos today. Rate was 1071.

i transferred the money I guess I will pick it up tomorrow at western union when I arrive in BA
Cool. No worries. Many people have never used Western Union so they aren't sure what to expect but it is very easy @1031Brah. Just make sure to remember to bring your passport to pick up. You said you were going to stay in Palermo. There are some big Western Union offices there. In Soho there is a big office on Armenia.

i transferred the money I guess I will pick it up tomorrow at western union when I arrive in BA
There are many "Rapipago" places that also have WU in CABA. Many of the small Rapipago branches will tell you that they don't have enough cash on hand and most tellers do not speak English. Local people use Rapipago to pay utility bills and other obligations, that's usually done during the first week of the month, when they get their paychecks, during that week even the small Rapipago/WU branches will have enough cash.

There are many "Rapipago" places that also have WU in CABA. Many of the small Rapipago branches will tell you that they don't have enough cash on hand and most tellers do not speak English. Local people use Rapipago to pay utility bills and other obligations, that's usually done during the first week of the month, when they get their paychecks, during that week even the small Rapipago/WU branches will have enough cash.
I gave up on those Rapipago places that I would see on the Western Union App. Everytime I would waste time they would tell me they don't have enough pesos. So I ended up going to an actual Western Union office. The only one that consistently has cash is the main one on Guatemala and also the one on Costa Rica has worked for me too.

Beware for locals with DNIs that are using Western Union.

Milei seems to be really tracking everything. I have many local friends that have consulting businesses and were getting paid by Western Union and Western Union has blocked several transactions lately. They were saying that they were "friends" helping out but it seems like AFIP also is tracking Western Union payments that are sent over and over to locals. I don't believe there is any way for them to stop tourists getting funds but they are watching local transactions.

Milei seems to be really tracking everything. I have many local friends that have consulting businesses and were getting paid by Western Union and Western Union has blocked several transactions lately. They were saying that they were "friends" helping out but it seems like AFIP also is tracking Western Union payments that are sent over and over to locals. I don't believe there is any way for them to stop tourists getting funds but they are watching local transactions.
Same. My friend gets payments for work via Western Union and they flagged payments a few times now. Apparently, they are checking locals with DNI's that keep getting money each month. It sounds like they will start to see if the funds are declared with AFIP.

Seems like a good and necessary thing. Banks are doing the same thing with people that have a lot of activity. They are seeing how much funds are declared and if none are they are flagging accounts. I guess locals that aren't paying any taxes or declaring income will look at it as a bad thing. But if they want to fix their country long term they must do it.

Back