Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Villarruel defended himself after the increase in the senators' allowance: “It is perfectly legal and I have no tool to stop it” - Infobae

All the Answers

Villarruel defended himself after the increase in the senators' allowance: “It is perfectly legal and I have no tool to stop it” - Infobae​

1713542492957.png

Source:

April 19, 2024

The Vice President was embroiled in controversy after legislators voted for a salary increase from $1.7 million to more than $4 million

1713542745565.png
Vice President Victoria Villarruel

Vice President Victoria Villarruel defended herself this Thursday against the criticism she received after the senators voted to increase their allowances, which, it was reported, would go - starting next May - from $1.7 million to more than $4 million. “It is perfectly legal and I have no tool to stop it,” she clarified.

“Today the senators from all blocks agreed to an increase in their salary that was voted by show of hands in the chamber because they had the necessary votes to do so. As President of the Senate, I am not a senator, I do not receive compensation from the Senate and I cannot interfere in those decisions . Nor can I force a nominal vote or justify the decision endorsed by everyone, because I am not a senator,” Villarruel launched.

Furthermore, the Vice President clarified: “I could have stood up so that my photo did not appear and some of the journalism and trolls accused me of which I have no influence whatsoever but I always show my face and today is not going to be the exception. I regret that the people are lied to and certain sectors take advantage of it to try to get me dirty, but what happened in the Senate is perfectly legal and I have no tools to stop it.”

1713542788245.png
Victoria Villarruel's defense of the increase in senators' allowances

“How does a salary that I am not going to earn benefit me and that my own and other people's trolls come out to hit me?”, warned the Vice President when asked by her followers on social networks.

President Javier Milei also used his social networks to target the senators who voted this Thursday to increase their diet: “This is how the caste moves. The only 7 who voted against are the senators from La Libertad Avanza. “2025 will be a historic beating.”

As Infobae announced , the move made this Thursday was born yesterday, at the Parliamentary Labor meeting that was held to organize the session. There, from various blocks there were complaints about some statements and movements of the Executive. “ We want to earn the same as -the presidential spokesperson, Manuel- Adorni. They also raised him recently ,” an experienced opposition senator told Infobae .

The senators increased their allowances in the middle of the session, by show of hands and without debate
Last night, the text in question was known to the various forces. It establishes that the per diems would be made up of 2,500 modules - today, close to $1,700 -, plus an additional 1,000 modules for representation expenses, and 500 additional modules for uprooting .

In the room, the one who took the lead was the dissident Peronist senator Juan Carlos Romero , who requested the incorporation of draft resolution 615/24 - it is not yet uploaded to the Upper House website - and asked to enable it on tables. Two thirds were needed. Villarruel put the definition by show of hands and, although some legislators did not do so, it was validated .

What happened in March​

In the past, Menem and Villarruel deactivated the increase granted at the end of last February, when they agreed and validated a 16% increase as of January 1, 2024, and a more cumulative 12% from February 1. The accumulated variation compared to last December was 29.92%.

In the resolution it was made clear that the joint resolution 13/11 "signed by Amado Boudou and Julián Domínguez " was annulled "as of January 1" last year - retroactively - with regard to the equalization and automatic mobility of the Diet. , Representation and Uprooting Expenses received by national deputies and senators. That did not apply to the rest of the legislative employees.

Although the diet of senators and deputies was tied to the parity of Congress workers, that was interrupted in 2021, in the midst of the pandemic and a context of general discontent with the leadership of all parties, with strong questions to the “politics” expenses. At that time, the authorities had decided to “decouple” the legislators' allowances from the employees' salary agreements.

In that sense, a resolution was signed that stipulated that any increase in legislators' salaries must be “discussed and approved by the plenary session of both Chambers.” The strategy sought to contain the demand for increases, since legislators would avoid voting on it in the chamber to avoid public criticism.

Back