Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Luis Caputo criticized the increase in the senators' allowances and said that it gave him “other people's shame” - Infobae

All the Answers

Luis Caputo criticized the increase in the senators' allowances and said that it gave him “other people's shame” - Infobae​

1713549653178.png

Source:

April 19, 2024

The Minister of Economy also questioned the resolution approved this Thursday in the Upper House. From this, legislators will collect more than 4 million in June

1713549697301.png
Luis Caputo, Minister of Economy

The Minister of Economy, Luis Caputo, this Friday joined the wave of criticism and questions about the decision taken in the Senate Chamber, where legislators took advantage of the end of Thursday's session to discuss a draft resolution and approve an increase on their diets . From this, their salaries will go from $1.7 million to more than $4 million.

It was through his social networks where Javier Milei's official echoed the controversial increase in his assets, which was voted on by show of hands and without debate. A fact that caused discomfort in a large part of the Government and caused both the President and the Vice President to express their disagreement with what happened.

In this sense, the person in charge of the economic portfolio accused the senators of being disconnected from the reality that the country is going through and was specific when expressing his defense: “Shame on others about what happened in the Senate yesterday. The level of disconnection with the people and the current economic situation is total…” the minister wrote this afternoon.

1713549732669.png

Luis Caputo's tweet
His words add to those of the head of state, who just a few hours after the vote shared the news on his X account and took aim at the legislators who endorsed the project in question. “This is how caste moves. The only 7 who voted against are the senators from La Libertad Avanza. 2025 will be a historic beating,” Milei published.

The next to speak out about what happened in the room was the president of the Senate herself, Victoria Villarruel, one of the first to be identified by the resolution approved this Thursday. For this reason, the Vice President of the Nation quickly defended herself against the criticism received and assured that she did not have any tools to stop it.

1713549761841.png
Senators increased their allowances at the end of Thursday's session

“Today the senators from all blocks agreed to an increase in their salary that was voted by show of hands in the chamber because they had the necessary votes to do so. As President of the Senate, I am not a senator, I do not receive compensation from the Senate and I cannot interfere in those decisions . Nor can I force a nominal vote or justify the decision endorsed by everyone, because I am not a senator,” he also launched on his X account.

Furthermore, the liberal leader clarified: “I could have stood up so that my photo did not appear and some of the journalism and trolls accused me of which I have no influence whatsoever but I always show my face and today is not going to be the exception. I regret that the people are lied to and certain sectors take advantage of it to try to get me dirty, but what happened in the Senate is perfectly legal and I have no tools to stop it.”

1713549790092.png
Victoria Villarruel on the increase in diets
Villarruel also answered some questions from his followers on social networks. “How does a salary that I am not going to earn benefit me and that my own and other people's trolls come out to hit me?” He replied to a user.

The rise of diets​

The move made this Thursday was born on Wednesday during the Parliamentary Labor meeting that was held to organize the session. There, from various blocks there were complaints about some statements and movements of the Executive. “ We want to earn the same as -the presidential spokesperson, Manuel- Adorni. They also raised him recently ,” an experienced opposition senator told Infobae .

The night before, the text in question was already known to the different forces. It establishes that the per diems would be made up of 2,500 modules - today, close to $1,700 -, plus an additional 1,000 modules for representation expenses, and 500 additional modules for uprooting . In fact, one more diet will be added to the original 12 to compensate for the bonus.

In the room, the one who took the lead was the dissident Peronist senator Juan Carlos Romero , who requested the incorporation of draft resolution 615/24 - it is not yet uploaded to the Upper House website - and asked to enable it on tables. Two thirds were needed. Villarruel put the definition by show of hands and, although some legislators did not do so, it was validated. Without debate, the initiative was formally voted on again and approved. In this way, the salaries in hand of the senators would go from next June from $1.7 million to more than $4 million.

Back