Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

NigjeFs

So we are planning to travel to the US in November and we did not get our baby a US passport or reported his birth to the US embassy yet ( due to several reasons and that included my own passport being expired ) If anybody has gone through this process, provided we have all the required documentation, do you think we have enough time to do it? How long did it take you to get your baby´s passport after you had your interview? I would really appreciate your input!

The other alternative is to get him a US visa, but because his dad is American citizen, the process is somewhat different and lengthy and involves two interviews, etc.

Thanks for helping out a mama! :D

So we are planning to travel to the US in November and we did not get our baby a US passport or reported his birth to the US embassy yet ( due to several reasons and that included my own passport being expired ) If anybody has gone through this process, provided we have all the required documentation, do you think we have enough time to do it? How long did it take you to get your baby´s passport after you had your interview? I would really appreciate your input!

The other alternative is to get him a US visa, but because his dad is American citizen, the process is somewhat different and lengthy and involves two interviews, etc.

Thanks for helping out a mama! :D
Hey, I have gone through this and you have PLENTY of time. When we applied it only took 2 weeks (maybe a little less) to get his passport.

Unlike Argentina, things run pretty smoothly at the US Embassy.

You will be fine, but you will need to make sure you have all your documents in order. I don't remember them all, but it was an original copy of my U.S. birth certificate, passport, spouses Argentina documentation, baby's birth certificate and documents from Argentina, and the papers you need to fill out for the Passport...oh, and 2 passport photos.

Good luck but do it quickly

You should have plenty of time, but go now. Both of you must be present for the interview. The main hurdle you have is proving that the baby is his child, as that is what confers US citizenship on the child. If your documents are in order then things should go quite smoothly. No reason to fear!

As for what Sleuth stated, there is a physical presence requirement for the father. If you were married during the birth of the child the father had to be present in the US for at least 5 years total during his life, all before the child was born, and at least two of those years after he was 14 years old. There are some exceptions to this, but no sense going into them if not necessary to do so.

You will most likely want to get a CRBA (Consular Report of Birth Abroad) at the same time as you get the passport. This is the equivalent of the standard birth certificate that is issued in the US and will be important to your child in the future, particularly if he/she works and lives in the US at any time.

All these posts above are absolutely correct. I did it twice for both of my kids born in Argentina. It couldn't have been easier and as always the US Embassy employees were very helpful. For both kids it only took about 2 weeks.

You have to fill out some paperwork and also as Sleuth mentioned I had to get my University transcript. But that is easy enough. Most major universities can simply fax it to you. They charge a fee for it but it's very quick and easy and the US Embassy accepted it. I also brought my high school transcript as well for good measure. My high school didn't charge any fee to fax it.

Definitely I agree to get the CRBA while you are there. Then you pay a DHL fee before you leave and they DHL it right to your residence in Buenos Aires. Very quick and easy. Also, you can apply for your child's social security card there in the Embassy which I'd also recommend. It's actually quicker applying for it at the Embassy vs. the USA believe it or not.

So we are going tomorrow to the embassy and I can´t find any information on where or how to pay for the passport, etc :p Anybody pretty pretty please knows how this is done? I am worried we will miss something

Also is it true ( according to the US embassy site ) that we cannot even take a toy or diaper bag or keys or glasses or purse or anything at all but our own selves????

It was very smooth for us too. But we are both US citizens. It took also about couple of weeks. Just have all the docs in order. All info on US embassy site is pretty much all you need. I also had all my doctors and hospital papers, then i was pregnant,( test results, ultrasounds etc.) and they did check it. Also had tax returns from then we were still in states. Both parents have to be there. We paid for everything there. Also did SSN there, since we do have to file taxes, have to have your child listed as dependent.
am assuming you will be going all together. Otherwise don't forget to have your husband's permission( notarized) to travel alone with the baby. Have babies argentine birth certificate and Argentine passport. Oh, and don't forget dollars in cash,(ask Cristina to give you some :)) otherwise you'll pay 15% more :) Good luck!

Also is it true ( according to the US embassy site ) that we cannot even take a toy or diaper bag or keys or glasses or purse or anything at all but our own selves????
As I recall, they did take my wife's purse and bag and they also take all your keys. They take all of it and put it in a storage cubby space. Then they give you a plastic claim ticket that you give back and they will give you your stuff as you exit.

I don't think we could use a stroller but they did allow us to carry in one of those baby car type seats that the baby could sit in. Also, my wife carried in a diaper or two without problems but I don't think you can bring your bag.

I can't remember if they allowed a toy or not but I recall we had an appointment and it was fairly quick and easy. It's NOTHING like the other side where the Porteños are with the massive lines. It's all quick and easy typically on the USA citizen side.

The US Embassy folks are great so you should be in and out with your baby. It's all relatively easy and you can pay with cash or credit card.

Ok, we had our interview today and the outcome was not so good. We were there on time for our appointment, the place was packed full for both visas and citizen services. I had taken all the documentation. After 2 hours of wait, we were told that we needed to take more stuff to prove my husband lived in the US more than 5 years...He presented his US birth certificate and passport ( which is the first passport he ever got and was issued when he was 30 years old ) SO he obviously lived in the US 30 years!!! But oh no, we have to gather school reports, statements, etc. It really is nonsense. They make it so difficult to get a tourist visa if you can apply for citizenship that we decided to finally do this ( which I think is the reason why the make the visa difficult, ie just so your children get citizenship ) We must be retarded but if you were born in the US and got your first passport when you were 30... where were you all the time? Really this reminded me of all the bs we went through with his Argentine perm residency. Not happy at all, if it wasn´t for the trip, I would not even bother going back.

Ok, we had our interview today and the outcome was not so good. We were there on time for our appointment, the place was packed full for both visas and citizen services. I had taken all the documentation. After 2 hours of wait, we were told that we needed to take more stuff to prove my husband lived in the US more than 5 years...He presented his US birth certificate and passport ( which is the first passport he ever got and was issued when he was 30 years old ) SO he obviously lived in the US 30 years!!! But oh no, we have to gather school reports, statements, etc. It really is nonsense. They make it so difficult to get a tourist visa if you can apply for citizenship that we decided to finally do this ( which I think is the reason why the make the visa difficult, ie just so your children get citizenship ) We must be retarded but if you were born in the US and got your first passport when you were 30... where were you all the time? Really this reminded me of all the bs we went through with his Argentine perm residency. Not happy at all, if it wasn´t for the trip, I would not even bother going back.
Yes, they are very clear I think on the website what documentation they need. No, it's not good enough with just a passport and birth certificate. Even tax returns aren't good enough and they won't accept.

I remember going I had to show BOTH my University transcript AND my high school transcript. But the positive thing is this is very easy to get. Just call his high school and they should be able to email or fax you it.

The University will probably charge some small fee. Mine charged like $20 to get one but they faxed it to me ASAP. My high school didn't charge anything and faxed it right away too.

Thanks for all the replies and help. As you grow old I guess it is difficult to keep some papers. A high school diploma is not enough proof either ( who goes around carrying school reports? ) We are trying to contact the school and nobody seems to answer. My MIL seems to only have Baptism, Communion, and church papers and shots. She is trying to get information on property owned. We have his criminal check ( the one we used for his Arg residency ). Oh well, I guess eventually we will come up with the stuff...

Back