Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Argentine Citizenship for parents by giving birth to child inside Argentina - Legal advice needed?

Lots of anchor babies in BA. In my building there are two Russian women. One just had a baby here and another on another floor that I met is about ready to have one in 2 months. Seems like a lot of this going on here.
That is great to hear so many are coming to Argentina to have anchor babies! Maybe you can give me some tips or advice. I am planning on moving down with my husband and we have a 3-year-old toddler already. We have been advised by a well-respected law firm that we won't have issues having an anchor baby in Argentina. I see that some Russian mothers were turned back a few months ago. Does anyone have any updates about that?

We will come in as tourists for the 90-day visa and then just take a trip over to Montevideo to extend. And then our daughter should be born shortly after that. I know in some countries this is frowned upon but it seems like from researching that there are no issues with this practice there.

I would just hate to get there in 2 months and find issues coming in. Will they ask when we are leaving if they see me pregnant? We don't have a return ticket but is it a good idea to make a fake return ticket?

That is great to hear so many are coming to Argentina to have anchor babies! Maybe you can give me some tips or advice. I am planning on moving down with my husband and we have a 3-year-old toddler already. We have been advised by a well-respected law firm that we won't have issues having an anchor baby in Argentina. I see that some Russian mothers were turned back a few months ago. Does anyone have any updates about that?

We will come in as tourists for the 90-day visa and then just take a trip over to Montevideo to extend. And then our daughter should be born shortly after that. I know in some countries this is frowned upon but it seems like from researching that there are no issues with this practice there.

I would just hate to get there in 2 months and find issues coming in. Will they ask when we are leaving if they see me pregnant? We don't have a return ticket but is it a good idea to make a fake return ticket?
Which law firm are you using? Can't they tell you about the Russian mothers and if they are being blocked more? Not sure you need to hire a law firm if you have a kid here. It is very easy from what I hear after you have a child born here to get permanent residency here after that.

Which law firm are you using? Can't they tell you about the Russian mothers and if they are being blocked more? Not sure you need to hire a law firm if you have a kid here. It is very easy from what I hear after you have a child born here to get permanent residency here after that.
We are using Celano. They told us that there would be no issues after having the baby born here. I asked their associate about all these Russian mothers coming pregnant that I saw stopped and he said they were stopping some of those groups. Apparently, there was a company selling some package to Buenos Aires and all of them were coming on the same flight. That doesn't seem smart. Generally they don't seem to care about pregnant women coming here to have kids as long as they can afford it. They told me that hospitals are going to start charging foreigners for medical services and to have kids here. So maybe the government won't care so much after that law passes.

We can easily afford to live here. We read many good things about Argentina and how the new president will improve the economy. We also feel like this is a safe country in case some war breaks out which isn't as crazy as it sounded a few years ago.

We are using Celano. They told us that there would be no issues after having the baby born here. I asked their associate about all these Russian mothers coming pregnant that I saw stopped and he said they were stopping some of those groups. Apparently, there was a company selling some package to Buenos Aires and all of them were coming on the same flight. That doesn't seem smart. Generally they don't seem to care about pregnant women coming here to have kids as long as they can afford it. They told me that hospitals are going to start charging foreigners for medical services and to have kids here. So maybe the government won't care so much after that law passes.

We can easily afford to live here. We read many good things about Argentina and how the new president will improve the economy. We also feel like this is a safe country in case some war breaks out which isn't as crazy as it sounded a few years ago.

It seems incredible to me people talk so opening about having anchor babies here. But I guess Argentina truly doesn't care.

I always read about this law firm online in searches. I am assuming they are expensive? How much do they charge to handle an anchor baby case? I thought once you had a kid here it was cut and dry so not sure what a lawyer would need to do but if you don't speak Spanish probably a necessity.

After reading all your posts, I'm half tempted to get someone pregnant in Argentina just for the passport!

My wife and I both went through the process of getting permanent residency here many years ago. But then after going through all that hassle, we had 2 kids born here. After that it is very easy to get permanent residency or even citizenship here. Argentina is one of the easiest countries in the world to get permanent residency once you have kids. It's amazing to see just how many people are having kids here.

Getting 2nd or 3rd permanent resident cards or passports is so common now. You can't go on X without getting spammed to death for companies all marketing this. Who knew this would be so desirable? I have gone through the hassle of getting several permanent residencies before it was popular. Ha, ha.

Lol how are the child support laws here
I never understand how the child support laws can be so bad in Latin America. We have had several maids with kids fathered here and when we ask if the father is helping out financially they always say no. Same thing in Mexico.

Lol how are the child support laws here
What child support laws? All my maids or their daughters have kids and sometimes by multiple different men. None of them are helping. I don't believe the court system here works for anything let alone this matter.

The child support system tends to work when the couple has been married and then separate or divorce . I know several people who have their wages sequestered by the court.

The big problem arises when the father does not recognize the paternity of the child.

The child support system tends to work when the couple has been married and then separate or divorce . I know several people who have their wages sequestered by the court.

The big problem arises when the father does not recognize the paternity of the child.
That is good that the courts are garnishing wages like the States and other first world countries. I assumed the judicial system here was so bogged down and didn't work at all. Your example @GlasgowJohn is the first time I heard anyone say they got wages taken by court. That is a positive.

Back