Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Help! I'm getting married to an Argentine and have my permanent resident interview after marriage. What evidence is needed?

Esposas

So the day that I thought would never come has come! I tricked someone into marrying me! LOL. Seriously I met a great American guy. We have our interview coming up to get my husband his DNI. Can anyone who has gone through this process explain what they might want us to bring to the meeting? The notification I got in the email said to just come with my husband.

I paid an expedite fee to speed up the process. It was a fairly straight forward process. I'm used to everything taking forever and not working here in my country. But I'm quite pleased with the time frame of everything. The process from submitting all the various paperwork online, scanning all of the documents and the in person interview has only been 30 days.

Does anyone know what to bring and how long the citizenship process will take? Thanks in advance.

So the day that I thought would never come has come! I tricked someone into marrying me! LOL. Seriously I met a great American guy. We have our interview coming up to get my husband his DNI. Can anyone who has gone through this process explain what they might want us to bring to the meeting? The notification I got in the email said to just come with my husband.

I paid an expedite fee to speed up the process. It was a fairly straight forward process. I'm used to everything taking forever and not working here in my country. But I'm quite pleased with the time frame of everything. The process from submitting all the various paperwork online, scanning all of the documents and the in person interview has only been 30 days.

Does anyone know what to bring and how long the citizenship process will take? Thanks in advance.
Hey congratulations! I went through this process recently and it couldn't have been easier. I didn't know what to except but I was surprised how efficient it was. My husband is from the UK. I'm Argentine. We recently moved back to Buenos Aires to be close to my parents who have developed some dementia issues.

We brought to the interview some of our wedding photos, travel photos throughout the years as well. We showed our passports and the gentleman that was doing the interview was very nice. He had traveled to London where my husband was from so they were chatting about favorite parts of the city.

He asked if we had traveled together abroad and we confirmed we did and showed him the passport stamps. We also showed him a copy of our bank statement which was joint in the UK. He didn't even look at the photos. He asked to see our marriage certificate. That was it. VERY easy.

Congrats. My sister went through this process. She just married a Porteño. They had to show some additional documents like bank statements and also they wanted work details as well. They also had to sign some forms that stated what they were saying was the truth. So maybe be prepared to have some bank statements as well as work paystubs as well.|

She said although they were legit married, they got nervous as they separated them in the beginning and asked her some questions and then asked her husband the same questions. Very easy so they got them all correct.

Congrats @Esposas! @Jeb Spencer do you know what kind of questions they asked? I just met an American that seems like he is just marrying a local for the DNI as he doesn't want to hassle with the DNI process and he has a friend that has some financial issues and basically he offered her the same amount he would spend with a lawyer so they agreed on $6,000 USD.

They are going in next week for the interview. I just told him about this thread. He isn't on this forum. He is asking how long does the interview last? What questions exactly did they ask?? Now he is nervous as he said that all his friends that did it was very easy. Maybe this is new? If you can please help with the questions they asked.

Hey congrats on the marriage! Way to fool him! Hopefully it lasts a long time. Mine sure didn't!
Congrats @Esposas! @Jeb Spencer do you know what kind of questions they asked? I just met an American that seems like he is just marrying a local for the DNI as he doesn't want to hassle with the DNI process and he has a friend that has some financial issues and basically he offered her the same amount he would spend with a lawyer so they agreed on $6,000 USD.

They are going in next week for the interview. I just told him about this thread. He isn't on this forum. He is asking how long does the interview last? What questions exactly did they ask?? Now he is nervous as he said that all his friends that did it was very easy. Maybe this is new? If you can please help with the questions they asked.
This must be new about the interviewing of questions. I have been married 4 times. 3 of those were with locals. I didn't have to do any interview. We just submitted all our paperwork to in RADEX. Is this something new? I don't think I will get married again but you never know!

Huge congrats to you @Esposas!

I went through this process earlier this year. I actually went through this process via a Zoom video call. After the meeting they also asked for more documents that they didn't ask for on the call. They wanted to see bank statements, work stubs (I'm retired but showed my pension income statements). They wanted to see the escritura (title deed) for our property.

We have a young daughter (my wife is much younger than I am). And it was strange but they wanted to see all her shot records for her childhood vaccines. We sent in the vaccination record. I did get the DNI a about a month after that.

I'm getting ready to go through this process too so I'd also appreciate the questions they asked! I'm straight-up legit getting married but but would be so nervous they asked questions that we didn't know the answers to!
I just talked to my sister as she came over today for lunch. She said they were very nice. They separated them and asked them the same questions to see if they matched up. Things like:

- Where they first met, about first date, when they officially became a couple and their anniversary date.
- Which family members have they met from each side and approximate date and place where they met them.
- When we first came to Argentina and how many times have we been since meeting.

She said in her office another woman was going through the same process with her female partner as she is gay. And she had the same officer. So I'm not sure if there aren't that many employees that do this or it's a small office. But she said that the lady who interviewed them Cecilia was very open to them being a lesbian couple.

I did my application back in August 2023 and there was no interview whatsoever. The only thing they did was check all our paperwork and scanned all the documents. I was missing some documents so I had to go back. When I went back there was still no interview. I handed over my birth certificate that was translated by a certified translator. I had to also give them my passport that also had a certification and translated. This always seems strange to me they require the passport translated but rules are rules.

I also brought a police report from the Registro Nacional de Reincidencia stating I had no criminal record. And I had to have my arrest record from back home with Apostille. I forgot to get the Apostille so they gave me temporary while the last document was ready. I did get the document back and uploaded it and the system showed "Pendiente" for a few months. But I finally have my interview date scheduled for this coming week! I will post back how it goes.

@Esposas what is your interview date?

I did my application back in August 2023 and there was no interview whatsoever. The only thing they did was check all our paperwork and scanned all the documents. I was missing some documents so I had to go back. When I went back there was still no interview. I handed over my birth certificate that was translated by a certified translator. I had to also give them my passport that also had a certification and translated. This always seems strange to me they require the passport translated but rules are rules.

I also brought a police report from the Registro Nacional de Reincidencia stating I had no criminal record. And I had to have my arrest record from back home with Apostille. I forgot to get the Apostille so they gave me temporary while the last document was ready. I did get the document back and uploaded it and the system showed "Pendiente" for a few months. But I finally have my interview date scheduled for this coming week! I will post back how it goes.

It is this week just here in a few days so I will report back.

I'm getting ready to go through this process too so I'd also appreciate the questions they asked! I'm straight-up legit getting married but but would be so nervous they asked questions that we didn't know the answers to!
I will post back here what questions they asked us.

We just went to our interview today. They told me that my DNI will be sent via Certified Mail and my permanent residency was approved. I had to go in first and they separated us. They asked me some questions and then they asked my husband the same questions. All are easy questions that you can't really get wrong. I will outline the questions below so they can help some of you. Hopefully I get the DNI very quickly and the plan is to apply for citizenship as soon as possible.

Questions they asked us:

- When did we meet and where and how?
- Date of birth of the spouse?
- Place of birth of spouse?
- Where do we live together? What size is the mattress and describe the bedroom? What is the first room that you see when you walk in and describe how to get to the kitchen?
- What our long term professional goals are?
- How many siblings does one another have? Where do they live? What are their names? Are they married?
- What is our favorite food? Where did we go on first date.

The interview time was about 40 minutes. I was very nervous that we wouldn't get questions right even though we are legitimate. It's is our worst nightmare to get some question wrong. But they informed us after that we passed.

We just went to our interview today. They told me that my DNI will be sent via Certified Mail and my permanent residency was approved. I had to go in first and they separated us. They asked me some questions and then they asked my husband the same questions. All are easy questions that you can't really get wrong. I will outline the questions below so they can help some of you. Hopefully I get the DNI very quickly and the plan is to apply for citizenship as soon as possible.

Questions they asked us:

- Where do we live together? What size is the mattress and describe the bedroom? What is the first room that you see when you walk in and describe how to get to the kitchen?
- How many siblings does one another have? Where do they live? What are their names? Are they married?

The interview time was about 40 minutes. I was very nervous that we wouldn't get questions right even though we are legitimate. It's is our worst nightmare to get some question wrong. But they informed us after that we passed.
THANK YOU! This helps and these are all very easy questions with the exception of my spouse's brothers and sisters names as he isn't close to them and I never met them. This is helpful! Congrats.

Questions they asked us:

Interesting the interview. I have a friend that went through this process a few months ago and they didn't have to go through this interview process. I wonder if this is random or something stuck out in your application? Or if this is something totally new? Congrats!

Wow, who did you bribe ;) I mean to which immigration god did you pray to get your process going so fast? I got married in August and started the PR process right away. Only this week that they have scheduled my interview. It has been 4 months!!!

I think you and I are on the same timeline. I started the PR process in August also and had to go to migraciones twice due to some missing documents. I also had to translate my passport to Spanish :confused: but they didn't need my birth certificate. I suppose different officer, different process. No consistency. As soon as I uploaded the last document, the system also showed 'pendiente' for a few months. Finally, last week they emailed me to schedule my interview for this week.

Wow, who did you bribe ;) I mean to which immigration god did you pray to get your process going so fast? I got married in August and started the PR process right away. Only this week that they have scheduled my interview. It has been 4 months!!!
Hi @Jakoval,

Did you pay the expedite fee? My DH said he paid some expedite fee. I didn't take this to mean a bribe. But maybe it was! Ha! He said there was some expedite fee that he paid when we applied. Where did you apply? Maybe this has to do with speed. Our case was done in Moreno which is about 35 km from Capital so maybe it is quicker here. I don't know. Also, my friend that is lawyer told me if you are missing ANY part of the required it slow down many months. It kicks it out and you have to wait at bottom of a stack so it's VERY important to have ALL what they ask. That speeds things up a lot.

At least you have your interview. Is your interview in person? I forgot to mention they also ask how much money we make and to show it so maybe be prepared for that. Also if you have property or if not then rental contract, etc. Good luck. It's very easy.

I think you and I are on the same timeline. I started the PR process in August also and had to go to migraciones twice due to some missing documents. I also had to translate my passport to Spanish :confused: but they didn't need my birth certificate. I suppose different officer, different process. No consistency. As soon as I uploaded the last document, the system also showed 'pendiente' for a few months. Finally, last week they emailed me to schedule my interview for this week.
Hi @Jakoval,

Did you pay the expedite fee? My DH said he paid some expedite fee. I didn't take this to mean a bribe. But maybe it was! Ha! He said there was some expedite fee that he paid when we applied. Where did you apply? Maybe this has to do with speed. Our case was done in Moreno which is about 35 km from Capital so maybe it is quicker here. I don't know. Also, my friend that is lawyer told me if you are missing ANY part of the required it slow down many months. It kicks it out and you have to wait at bottom of a stack so it's VERY important to have ALL what they ask. That speeds things up a lot.

At least you have your interview. Is your interview in person? I forgot to mention they also ask how much money we make and to show it so maybe be prepared for that. Also if you have property or if not then rental contract, etc. Good luck. It's very easy.
Hello @Jakoval. I think @Esposas is correct. A lawyer told me that if you are missing anything then it slow down process and your application hangs in the back. If you submit everything and everything is all there then it goes very quickly and you move to the front of the line. I'm not sure if this is true as I'd think as you submit stuff but apparently if you submit everything in one go you move to the front of the line. I can't say if this is true or not but good luck with your interview! Please post back here how it goes and what they asked.

Back