Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Pachumen

Hello everyone,

We recently came back from a trip to the USA, and during Ron's passport check at EZE on the way to Miami, he was informed that his type of DNI (the old brown booklet) would "expire" at the end of this year. They suggested getting the new updated DNI card. Interestingly, the agent who processed my passport didn't mention anything about upgrading my DNI booklet.

I'm reaching out to inquire if anyone is familiar with the process for obtaining the updated DNI, particularly for a foreigner. Does the process differ for foreign DNIs compared to those of Argentine citizens or nationals?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide!

After completing the paperwork for the new DNI card at Hipolito Yrigoyen 952 they told us it would be delivered to our home in 30 days, it is also printed on the receipt that if you don't receive it in 30 days in the mail to go to their office to pick it up. We waited 50 days and it still hadn't appeared (we're usually always home during the day) so today Ron went to their office to try and pick it up. They said the new cards will be delivered in 90 days from the time of doing the paperwork. So, now we'll wait until the end of June to see if it arrives in the mail. They did tell Ron you need to sign for it in person to receive the card so he couldn't have picked up my card if they were ready. Hopefully we'll both be home when the postman comes!

Does anyone know if the process changed at all from when these posts were made in 2014? I come to Buenos Aires once a year and each time since 2014 they tell me that the deadline is a few months to change the old book over. But then the next time I come they say the same thing. Today I arrived and they said that I have until August 2016 to change over my old booklet for the new DNI card.

Has anything changed?

Yes,it has,indeed,changed.If I were you,I would get my new DNI ASAP.It doen't take very long and they do everything in one place.It goes by Comuna,if you live in CABA.Check it out on tneir website.

Back