Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Today, I visited the federal court (juzgada federal) to inquire about the necessary documents for applying for citizenship. The experience was surprisingly smooth and welcoming. Upon entering, I was warmly greeted by a friendly woman close to my age, who seemed knowledgeable about the process. I informed her about my intent to apply for citizenship and showed her my DNI when asked if I was "radicated."

She reviewed my DNI, pointed out the specific pages that needed copying, and then engaged in a conversation about potential concerns regarding losing my US citizenship. I assured them that I was aware of the implications, and the other women in the office agreed.

Next, I presented a photocopy of the translation of my bank trust document, refraining from showing the Apostilled English version as my accountant had it, and Migraciones possessed the original. The woman at the desk, along with a letter from my accountant certifying the deposits, took these into another office for a brief period. When she returned, she informed me that all I needed were my birth certificate, an updated letter from my accountant, and a certificado de domicilio.

Surprised, I asked if there was anything else required. The response was a simple "No." The checklist now included my birth certificate, a new letter from the accountant, and the certificado de domicilio, to be presented within 48 hours of issuance.

I left the office with a clear understanding of the documents needed and an optimistic outlook on the process. While I acknowledge there might be additional requests from the judge, such as the English version of the trust agreement or an "original" birth certificate without the Apostille or translation, I am already prepared with these documents. I'll continue to share updates on the citizenship application process as it unfolds.

I'm pleased to hear about your positive experience, especially considering your initial skepticism when I first discussed the citizenship process.

I'll avoid steering your thread in a different direction, but I wanted to provide some additional insights.

Captain Cheetah, the selection of your judge is based on your address. When you visit, they assign you a judge based on the available ones in your area. Different districts, such as Capital Federal, might have multiple judges (12 in this case), while others, like San Martin or Lomas de Zamora, may have fewer.

In terms of the residency requirement, some judges may accept an application with only 1 year of residency in the country since the entire procedure typically spans around 1 year.

Feel free to reach out if you have further questions or need more information.

Best regards.

It has been posted several times, but SEVERAL TIMES, that you don't have to give up US citizenship.

That being said, every few weeks, feel free to post otherwise, it always spices up a thread.

BC2's post provides an interesting comparison, particularly the fear points (5a and b). I share the perspective that long-term thinking is crucial. However, let me offer a counterpoint to consider. If you become a citizen, the master nationality rule comes into play, potentially leading to the loss of diplomatic protection from your country of origin. In a hypothetical scenario where Argentina faces significant challenges, such as imprisonment or strict exit permits, being solely an Argentine citizen may mean lacking consular assistance or struggling to leave the country. While this might seem extreme, recent events in other regions, like expats fleeing North Africa, emphasize the importance of considering such possibilities.

For those contemplating dual citizenship, thorough research is imperative to understand all potential consequences, with tax implications being just one aspect. In my opinion, temporary or permanent residency may not be as intimidating as some make it out to be, regardless of differing opinions.

My friend has completed a significant part of the citizenship process. After publishing the judicial edict in the newspaper and providing fingerprints (twice), she's wondering about the next steps. Based on bajocero's post, it seems there are two reports that take about seven months. However, what happens afterward? Does the court issue a document declaring citizenship, or is there a requirement to appear in court before the judge physically? Any insights into the subsequent stages and the conclusion timeline would be appreciated. I'm also looking to initiate this process soon.

Just by coincidence I stopped by the juzgado federal yesterday to give them my cell phone number. The secretary said my application was still in the process of being approved and all I need to do is wait for her to call me regarding publishing the notice in the local newspaper. I did not ask when she thought that would happen. It really doesn't make any difference to me.

Argentina acknowledges dual citizenship, and many Argentines hold Italian, Spanish, and German citizenship through their ancestors. As long as you don't explicitly declare the renunciation of all other citizenships, there's typically no issue. Even if you were to make such a declaration, the U.S. government doesn't consider it valid unless done in front of a U.S. agent abroad, and there's now a fee associated with renouncing U.S. citizenship.

While things may evolve, the global trend is leaning towards recognizing dual citizenship. Some individuals contemplate acquiring citizenship in their adopted country, but concerns about tax obligations and the security of being a U.S. citizen may weigh on the decision. At present, Argentina's tax requirements for citizens abroad are less stringent than those of the U.S., but this could change. Additionally, maintaining U.S. citizenship offers a level of protection, even if the likelihood of embassy assistance is low.

For those not deeply connected to Argentina or undecided about long-term residency, obtaining temporary or permanent residency might be a more feasible path.

To get a citizenship is not regarding nationalism, with all my respect, it is all about to be protected "under the flag" while you are in Argentina. That`s all, you have more rights in reality because they are aeasier to enforce. Regards

Can you comment on how the procedure goes once documents have been submitted, fingerprints taken and the edict has been published in the newspaper? We are just curious as to what actually happens up until citizenship is officially granted. I know that you said there is a wait of about 7 months for all the reports to come in --- but then what?

I don't think it could be so easy to get citizenship in Argentina. I could be wrong and I hope I am. I've lived in Argentina for 7+ years and been a permanent resident for several years already. I remember a few years back I inquired about it and I was told it's not too easy and you have to take a test (written and oral) which included Argentina history.

Maybe things have changed since then but it doesn't seem possible with the amount of red tape I've seen in Argentina to get citizenship that easily.

I guess I'll believe it when you tell me you became a citizen. NOTHING is quick or easy in Argentina.

And definitely you can have citizenship in the USA and Argentina at the same time with no problems. My kids have citizenship in Argentina and the USA and passports for both countries.

I think Jiminpalermo made the best point that the people that this probably makes the most sense for is people that own lots of real estate in Argentina and that own businesses there. That is exactly how I feel.

Back