Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Thread: President Javier Milei - Decree of Necessity and Urgency (DNU) in real-time

This isn't just one sided. This should also give some protections and peace of mind to the renters as well as before they were just extended contracts informally either verbally or just informal contracts. They can have formal contracts now. Only the owner is in control as they can set terms, prices, payment terms, etc.

Simple supply and demand. The owners are running the show. I wish I was an owner and not a renter. Boo hoo.

only if supply is limited. but since the supply will open-up from this re-regulation, more owners will be willing to put their properties on the market, creating more supply and thus lower prices
But you are assuming that owners will want to do long-term rentals again. Many of my friends now have already furnished and started doing airbnb and very happy with how much they are making. It's true many are sitting empty but many are now short-term rentals. Look at the statistics and yesterday I read there are 70% more rentals on airbnb vs. before. That's a a lot!

My friends that are sitting with empty apartments said they may see how prices are going before they commit to renting again. And they are pricing in USD and not sure many have that much money to rent so let's see what happens. Getting ready of that idiotic long term rental law is a step in the right direction.

But you are assuming that owners will want to do long-term rentals again. Many of my friends now have already furnished and started doing airbnb and very happy with how much they are making. It's true many are sitting empty but many are now short-term rentals. Look at the statistics and yesterday I read there are 70% more rentals on airbnb vs. before. That's a a lot!

My friends that are sitting with empty apartments said they may see how prices are going before they commit to renting again. And they are pricing in USD and not sure many have that much money to rent so let's see what happens. Getting ready of that idiotic long term rental law is a step in the right direction.
Just keep in mind that Congress can reject the DNU I believe. He did a blanket DNU but he doesn't have a majority on the House or Senate. I read today they can just repeat the DNU. He probably should have made separate DNU's so at least they could approve the ones that made the most sense.

It's looking like they are going to reject it.

I sure h
Just keep in mind that Congress can reject the DNU I believe. He did a blanket DNU but he doesn't have a majority on the House or Senate. I read today they can just repeat the DNU. He probably should have made separate DNU's so at least they could approve the ones that made the most sense.

It's looking like they are going to reject it.

I sure hope they pass. Argentines elected him for change. And we need to see all of these changes starting so Argentina can start to get fixed.

I believe now that the law will change that there should be more rentals on the market. I agree with Milei on this change. Anyone is blind if they don't see why there is no long term rentals. Nobody can expect to be locked into 3 years only raising price once or 2 times a year. I think if this passes finally we will see owners renting again. It's true many more Airbnb and short term. The #'s don't lie. But also look at the number of people that show not even refrigerator is running for electricity. All these people should rent again soon.

We need to get more rentals on the market again. It's a very hopeless situation if not. Many of my friends and family have leases ending and they are scared as they can't find anything. One relative is living with me now as the only alternative was to stay in Airbnbs and that wasn't possible with their financial situation. I agree a contract can be made with owner and tenant for private property.

they are going to reject it.
but couldn't Milei's cabinet just do another DNU for each rejected item, and keep the ball rolling until Congress gets tired, or the constituents yell at them to stop de-regulation?

"In the past, only the Senate has rejected a DNU during Mauricio Macri’s presidency, which occurred under Alberto Fernandez’s presidency at Cristina Kirchner’s behest in 2020. The Executive Branch is obliged to submit the DNU to the Bicameral Legislative Procedure Commission within ten days for constitutionality control. The commission, comprising 16 members, has another ten days to issue an opinion. If it fails to do so, the DNU is enabled for treatment in both chambers without requiring an enabling opinion." https://bnnbreaking.com/politics/unprecedented-opposition-in-argentine-congress-over-mileis-dnu/

if only one DNU (i think i read that correctly) has ever been sent-back, it would be funny if Congress now acts to block DNUs when the laws are just being deleted and nothing is being spent or added :p

Here is a great article that talks about the DNU to end the rental contract law that didn't make much sense. Seems like this is a HUGE win for property owners.

This is HORRIBLE for tenants. While I might agree that 3 years was too long of a contract it doesn't make sense that they would make the lease term at least 1 year. It used to be 2 years. Tenants now may feel pressure to just sign any contract the owner wants to stipulate. All the power now is with the owners which isn't fair.

This is HORRIBLE for tenants. While I might agree that 3 years was too long of a contract it doesn't make sense that they would make the lease term at least 1 year. It used to be 2 years. Tenants now may feel pressure to just sign any contract the owner wants to stipulate. All the power now is with the owners which isn't fair.
I totally agree. Most landlords are greedy and will only ask for USD even though most incomes are in Argentine PESOS. This is going to create a horrible situation for tenants.

I agree the 3 years with only raising the value was NOT smart but I worry about the everyday tenant. I don't agree too much with government interference but I think that the government should at least set reasonable terms. A free for all situation where owners can set whatever terms they want doesn't seem to make sense either. A tenant has to be able to feel like they have a set term to stay in that property without worrying.

I agree the 3 years with only raising the value was NOT smart but I worry about the everyday tenant. I don't agree too much with government interference but I think that the government should at least set reasonable terms. A free for all situation where owners can set whatever terms they want doesn't seem to make sense either. A tenant has to be able to feel like they have a set term to stay in that property without worrying.
But no one is forcing any tenants to sign any contracts that they aren't comfortable with. There will still be a contract that is enforceable by law with all the terms and conditions spelled out. It must be honored so I'm not sure what the fuss is about. S/he can do whatever contract they are comfortable with.No one is going to get trapped into a contract they don't agree with. If so, they can go on to the next rental.

How in the world is this not fair? Why should the government be involved in setting terms? It's no free for all. An owner of a property should be able to set how long they want to rent for. The tenant can either agree or not agree. No one is putting a gun to their head to sign a contract. A tenant can stay without worrying. They sign a contract for as long as they are comfortable staying. What is so difficult to grasp here? This isn't rocket science.

I understand your point. I do agree there should be some reasonable term. Maybe 1 year minimum. But tenants can have issues if owners all collude not to rent for terms that are bad for tenants. I worry for renters that they will have no power at all. That's my only fear.

I understand your point. I do agree there should be some reasonable term. Maybe 1 year minimum. But tenants can have issues if owners all collude not to rent for terms that are bad for tenants. I worry for renters that they will have no power at all. That's my only fear.
It just sounds like chaos a bit with zero regulation at all. I know rental tenants that are so desperate to find something. I have some friends whose lease ends in January 2024 or February 2024 and they can't find anything. They are in Airbnbs now and paying nosebleed prices. A few friends are adults and moved in with relatives temporarily.

Contracts can be put together where it's conning tenants and in a legal dispute the rich property owner will win against poor tenants who signed a skilled contractual agreement.

I'm puzzled by all these foreign expats from the USA/Canada and UK and Australia here depending this horrible behavior. Why are you in Argentina? You are not in your home countries. Things here shouldn't work like home. Or maybe you came to Argentina because you can't hack it back "home"?

It just sounds like chaos a bit with zero regulation at all. I know rental tenants that are so desperate to find something. I have some friends whose lease ends in January 2024 or February 2024 and they can't find anything. They are in Airbnbs now and paying nosebleed prices. A few friends are adults and moved in with relatives temporarily.

Contracts can be put together where it's conning tenants and in a legal dispute the rich property owner will win against poor tenants who signed a skilled contractual agreement.

I'm puzzled by all these foreign expats from the USA/Canada and UK and Australia here depending this horrible behavior. Why are you in Argentina? You are not in your home countries. Things here shouldn't work like home. Or maybe you came to Argentina because you can't hack it back "home"?
@Jeep,

You sound unhinged my friend. Listen to yourself. Your friends are in Airbnbs because the Congress and Senate and the past President made moronic laws that were just stupid. The Congress and Senate instead of fixing the laws didn't fix it so Milei had to do it. Now finally Milei will fix things so your friends stuck in Airbnbs might have a shot at finding a long term lease. And you don't want that? Are you stupid?

Contracts are contracts to be respected by both parties. It shouldn't matter where an expat is from. Common sense should prevail. Milei is introducing common sense rules that will get the long term market working again. Don't be a fool.

Back in Toronto just like probably the USA and most first-world countries, contracts are written and respected by BOTH parties. Who enforces the laws? The tooth fairy?

Do you understand the principle of supply and demand?? It doesn't matter if your friends are desperate. It's not the government's issue or problem if your adult friends don't know how to read a contract or sign something they disagree with. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp. What don't you understand? Are you that dense?

Back in Toronto just like probably the USA and most first-world countries, contracts are written and respected by BOTH parties. Who enforces the laws? The tooth fairy?

Do you understand the principle of supply and demand?? It doesn't matter if your friends are desperate. It's not the government's issue or problem if your adult friends don't know how to read a contract or sign something they disagree with. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp. What don't you understand? Are you that dense?

You can't just look at it like that. Remember that the majority of Argentina is totally poor people. I'd say 30% live in EXTREME poverty. If someone believes in the tooth fairy it might be you.

It IS Big Brother's job to solve people becoming desperate. Because if they don't then chaos ensues. And if chaos ensues it's bad for everyone. I agree that the current long-term 3-year rentals with limited increases only in pesos wasn't a good solution. But alls some of us are probably thinking or trying to argue is that we don't think a free for all where owners set the terms of the lease and tenants are stuck agreeing might not be the solution either.

It will be interesting to see how things play out with this issue. We should be able to see fairly quickly if more rentals come on the market. I would believe that at least we WILL see that with Milei's changes.

I strongly believe we need to go back to how it was before with 2 year terms and following real estate laws for tenants and owners. The tenants had a lot of protections previously which are all gone now. The shift of power has changed where as both had power, now all the power has shifted to the property owner.

The rental contract will be drafted by the property owner and/or their lawyer. They will always have the upper hand. I worry about the protections for the basic rights of a tenant and people will be at the mercy of the rentals without any protections.

Laws are always a good thing when they protect both parties. Now, all owners will want to only charge US dollars and I doubt repairs will be down on a timely basis during the rental period. I'm not sure if there will be anywhere a tenant can complain. There doesn't sound like renters will be able to do much. The owners are in the driver's seat.

Back