Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Be careful with taxi cabs with a rigged meter that runs quicker than usual

After almost two years of taxis in BA, I finally drew a fast meter last night. 4k pesos from Scalabrini Ortiz y Jufre to the big Coto on French.

Normal is between 2500 and 3k, on the same route.
That's a really nice Coto. Did you tell the cabby that he had a fast meter?

After almost two years of taxis in BA, I finally drew a fast meter last night. 4k pesos from Scalabrini Ortiz y Jufre to the big Coto on French.

I have lived in a few countries in Latin America and I have always gotten a few at one point or another. Try to take Uber as much as I can and from what I have read uber works great in BA.
My wife was with me and I didn’t want to raise too much of a fuss. I figure with me taking cabs 3x/week for nearly 2 years, only getting one fast one ain’t bad.
I usually try to make it a point to say something. But don't argue with them about it. My husband always argues and threatens to turn them in and inevitably they tell him to pay the real price.

Once you live here long enough you will run into one of these in BA. It doesn't happen too often but a few times a year I will get one. They listen if you are a local or not. I believe foreigners get scammed more. I love that Coto there. A bit of everything there.

Once you live here long enough you will run into one of these in BA. It doesn't happen too often but a few times a year I will get one. They listen if you are a local or not. I believe foreigners get scammed more. I love that Coto there. A bit of everything there.
As I said, after two years, I figured it was about time I drew one... Especially when I'm in taxis a minimum of three round trips per week, and oftentimes more.

As I said, after two years, I figured it was about time I drew one... Especially when I'm in taxis a minimum of three round trips per week, and oftentimes more.
Yes that isn't bad at all then. Problem with them used to be much worse than it disappeared for a while and now it seems like it is coming back. A few friends also ran into it lately.

Happened to me last week also. Was at Tufic Helederia having an ice cream and then went to La Biela. Not too far from your distances @Darksider415 and the taxi wanted almost 5,000 pesos. I told him there is no way that is right and I just took almost the same route the day before. I gave him 4,000 and left but it is usually a 3,000 ride.

Same thing happened to me yesterday Darksider415 so don't feel bad. I had it happening more over a decade ago but first time since then. That may be an indicator for things to come. I hope not.

That's why I haven't taken taxi cabs for a long time, don't you use ride apps? there are several and they are quite efficient, like Uber, Didi, Cabify...so far I haven't had any problems.

Even with my one case of piripipi, the cabs have been averaging cheaper than Uber or Cabify lately. The piripipi basically raised cab fare from taxi to UberX levels, so I'll stick with grabbing a cab unless I _know_ for sure when I'm leaving, or it's late at night.

Even with my one case of piripipi, the cabs have been averaging cheaper than Uber or Cabify lately. The piripipi basically raised cab fare from taxi to UberX levels, so I'll stick with grabbing a cab unless I _know_ for sure when I'm leaving, or it's late at night.
I think prices on Uber went up a bit. I don't think the cost difference is too great with taxi vs. Uber. Cabify seems to have the cheapest levels but still it's not too much more. I like the dependability of Uber. Besides the really crappy cars, I haven't had issues with it. Taxis now are mostly newer.

Uber is idiot proof for those of us that don't speak Spanish. I hate having to show a taxi my phone or trying to pronounce cross streets. Uber makes it easy.

Back