Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Side Hustles for Older Expats

Vince

Since @Larry keeps saying the sky is falling and prices are already at the prices of the USA and Europe I was thinking for those that are staying, are you going to get a side gig? Most of the expats here seem on the older side. I read many saying they are getting pensions or social security. I wonder how old the typical Buenos Aires Expat is.

I am also figuring a pattern that many sound like they married a Porteño/a and then moved here. Any of you thinking of getting a side hustle job?

I came across this article. I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Archived Version:

Since @Larry keeps saying the sky is falling and prices are already at the prices of the USA and Europe I was thinking for those that are staying, are you going to get a side gig? Most of the expats here seem on the older side. I read many saying they are getting pensions or social security. I wonder how old the typical Buenos Aires Expat is.

I am also figuring a pattern that many sound like they married a Porteño/a and then moved here. Any of you thinking of getting a side hustle job?

I came across this article. I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Archived Version:

I read that and I was laughing out loud. The author is WAY out of touch with prices today. They are not accurate. Look at the prices she says you will spend in Costa Rica. It is already as expensive as many cities in the USA there. And the prices for Argentina are a cruel joke. I'm not sure where she is getting prices but stuff is more expensive than that.

I'm an old fart. No one wants to hire me plus I can't speak Spanish. I don't want to sound like @Larry but this place IS getting too expensive. I think I will go back to Colombia soon. It's not as nice and the food sucks but my Venezuelan girlfriend is getting bored here since I can't afford anything. She jokes she thought she was getting a "sugar daddy" and she said I'm too salty.

I think that most expats here either call in a few different camps.

1) Older senior citizens that couldn't hack it back home financially so they had to get out of dodge (USA) and living it up here much cheaper than back home. Those that were smart enough to buy something years ago are ok and will be able to ride things out here. Those that didn't buy anything will most likely need to either rent a room in someone's place or move to a cheaper less desirable country soon.

2) Younger digital expats that can work online and making great money and working here to save up some money to possibly move back to the USA to be able to afford something. Or like it so much they will stay so they are saving up money to buy a property here.

3) Younger expats that don't have much money saved up at all. Maybe some but probably less than $100k and that will quickly go away as they aren't working here. They probably don't have money in the stock market or maybe toying around with crypto and may lose it all or spend it all someday.

4) People that are thinking about moving here or in the process as they are selling properties that are expensive in their home countries and will come back and purchase something here to live in and flush with cash from their home sale. If they are coming with enough cash they will be ok or if they are buying more than 1 property (1 to live and 1 to rent out).

5) Middle age not yet in retirement age late 40s to mid 50's that possibly married someone local either older or younger and riding things out here. Maybe they could be making more money in their home countries, all their spouses family is here and they are NOT moving. Some are happy and some are very unhappy. But it is what it is.

Maybe there are more categories but the expats I met fall into these categories.

Getting on topic I saw this article about unconventional hustles.

1) Older senior citizens that couldn't hack it back home financially so they had to get out of dodge (USA) and living it up here much cheaper than back home. Those that were smart enough to buy something years ago are ok and will be able to ride things out here. Those that didn't buy anything will most likely need to either rent a room in someone's place or move to a cheaper less desirable country soon.

2) Younger digital expats that can work online and making great money and working here to save up some money to possibly move back to the USA to be able to afford something. Or like it so much they will stay so they are saving up money to buy a property here.

3) Younger expats that don't have much money saved up at all. Maybe some but probably less than $100k and that will quickly go away as they aren't working here. They probably don't have money in the stock market or maybe toying around with crypto and may lose it all or spend it all someday.

4) People that are thinking about moving here or in the process as they are selling properties that are expensive in their home countries and will come back and purchase something here to live in and flush with cash from their home sale. If they are coming with enough cash they will be ok or if they are buying more than 1 property (1 to live and 1 to rent out).

5) Middle age not yet in retirement age late 40s to mid 50's that possibly married someone local either older or younger and riding things out here. Maybe they could be making more money in their home countries, all their spouses family is here and they are NOT moving. Some are happy and some are very unhappy. But it is what it is.

Maybe there are more categories but the expats I met fall into these categories.

This sounds very accurate. I would add one more to that category and that seems to be people with no plan at all. Trying to escape reality in the USA but with no real plan. Lately I read about some expats planning on moving down here but they have a high paying job back home and some of them love those jobs and they think they can move to Argentina and make the same amount of money. I call these people the "dreamer" categories. We recently read about @RN in BA that wanted to move here but she discovered quickly you can't make much money in BA in the same profession.

I'm not knocking her. I'm just saying I see a lot of people fall in love with BA and then drop everything to move here. The only issue is many don't speak Spanish and they have NO significant savings. That's a dangerous combination.

I read another article from that author that ties in with expats.

Yep, this sounds about just about every single expat I know in BA. They fall into one of those categories.

This sounds about right.

where have you applied?
I have applied for some random online customer service type jobs that are remote. I used to work at a bank many years ago. I've been out of the game for a while. I probably would have had enough money but I had a gambling issue a few years ago. I also got a young girl pregnant while I was in my late 60's. That was unexpected. So I thought I'd just have to support myself but now supporting 2 others.

Life has also gotten much more expensive than I planned. Inflation has been brutal. You will find out kid that once you are in your 70's you're basically unemployable. No one wants to hire someone in their 70's.

I have applied for some random online customer service type jobs that are remote.
but you're old enough to know that 'beggars can't be choosers' so if you are being selective about which jobs to take (convenient laptop jobs that only <5% of the world can obtain), then the next step is probably to decrease spending or take an in-person job, right?

sounds like you've made some bad choices in the last 10 years, so why continue making poor financial choices? we were all lied to about being able to "retire" once we reach a certain age, but in the end everyone would benefit from being financially self-sufficient in both feast and famine times.
once you are in your 70's you're basically unemployable
well, on the other hand, after being an adult for over 50 years and learning how the world works, you ought to be the most set-up for success. things you have in your 70s that a 20-year-old couldn't dream of:

-work skills and certifications.
-wisdom from seeing industries completely change and adapt (as each of us should, as well).
-a network of people around the world with similar/better skills.
-investments.
-real-world experience in saving/spending and reaching goals.
-family, kids, close friends, people who would support you and enhance your life if you are hustling for a few years.
-fluency in multiple languages.

so no, i don't accept the simple narrative that 'at 70 no work' because it makes no sense. if anything, it should be incredibly easy to get a managerial job for you. in my family, several people have "retired" but then their old companies can't seem to find someone to replace them, so that person ended up working half-time as a hobby, for more spending/travel money, doing "consulting" because they've been in a field where they know almost every aspect of it, for the past 30 years.

of course a person in their 70s might not get a job on a construction site, but isn't that a good thing? because you ought to have so many life skills that you could work for that construction company as a consultant or upper management, making big decisions to gain more revenue (and ideally have profit-sharing). my uncle has been working for big companies so long that now he analyzes their spending and data and shows them how they can save millions. why wouldn't you be able to do this? he's only a little younger than you.

but you're old enough to know that 'beggars can't be choosers' so if you are being selective about which jobs to take (convenient laptop jobs that only <5% of the world can obtain), then the next step is probably to decrease spending or take an in-person job, right?

sounds like you've made some bad choices in the last 10 years, so why continue making poor financial choices? we were all lied to about being able to "retire" once we reach a certain age, but in the end everyone would benefit from being financially self-sufficient in both feast and famine times.

well, on the other hand, after being an adult for over 50 years and learning how the world works, you ought to be the most set-up for success. things you have in your 70s that a 20-year-old couldn't dream of:

-work skills and certifications.
-wisdom from seeing industries completely change and adapt (as each of us should, as well).
-a network of people around the world with similar/better skills.
-investments.
-real-world experience in saving/spending and reaching goals.
-family, kids, close friends, people who would support you and enhance your life if you are hustling for a few years.
-fluency in multiple languages.

so no, i don't accept the simple narrative that 'at 70 no work' because it makes no sense. if anything, it should be incredibly easy to get a managerial job for you. in my family, several people have "retired" but then their old companies can't seem to find someone to replace them, so that person ended up working half-time as a hobby, for more spending/travel money, doing "consulting" because they've been in a field where they know almost every aspect of it, for the past 30 years.

of course a person in their 70s might not get a job on a construction site, but isn't that a good thing? because you ought to have so many life skills that you could work for that construction company as a consultant or upper management, making big decisions to gain more revenue (and ideally have profit-sharing). my uncle has been working for big companies so long that now he analyzes their spending and data and shows them how they can save millions. why wouldn't you be able to do this? he's only a little younger than you.
Thank you for your positive and practical advice.

Back