Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Security in Buenos Aires

SoulHU

Hello, I want to go on vacation to Buenos Aires and I would like to know how is the security situation in the streets, is there any danger?

Not if you move in tourist areas. It's good EU is not to be noticed going out with Rolex. I go 4 times a year. On average, nothing ever happened to me? I stay in safe neighborhoods and if I go out at night. I take cabs. Recoleta, San Nicolas, Puerto Madero, are usually safe.1

Hello, I want to go on vacation to Buenos Aires and I would like to know how is the security situation in the streets, is there any danger?

Not more dangerous than many large cities: the types of robberies that predominate in tourist places are snatchings (being very distracted with your cell phone, someone running by or on a bicycle or motorcycle, and snatching your cell phone. The same thing can happen if you are in a cab with the window down. It does not happen all the time, but you have to be attentive) and pickpockets in public transportation or on street corners when there are many people (in those situations carry your backpack forward, and pay attention all the time to where you have your wallet).

Buenos Aires has been very safe in recent years. You have to be careful with the problems that big cities have: robberies. Be careful with the cell phone in the street and if you travel by public transport such as buses.

Back