Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Visas Realistic to Move to Argentina and Live Off Investments?

OdGreen

I've been doing some research online and on this site, but I'm still not 100 percent clear on this.

If I have enough in investments to support myself indefinitely, but not a passive income pension, is there a path that I could take to live in Argentina long term? It sounds like some people just overstay their visa or do boarder runs, but I'm not sure if that would work long term.

If it's not possible I can focus on somewhere else.

Thanks!

Simplifying greatly, but to answer your question in the broad terms you present it, you can apply for a temporary (12-month) residency as a "Rentista" if you can demonstrate to the Argentine authorities you have passive income from investments that pay you in the vicinity of (currently) US$1,800 per month (could be a bit more or a bit less in the future depending on how exchange rates and Argentine salary rates move). You can renew that 12-month temporary residency twice and doing so then qualifies you for permanent residency.

Do more looking around on this website. There are a number of recent threads on the topic of the "Rentista" immigration category.

Navigating PR or citizenship without a competent attorney is like going to a gunfight with a nerf knife ...... the professional service is not unrealistically expensive and gets the job done much quicker and easier ..... talk to an attorney..... not laymen that have been fumbling through the system for a considerable amount of time, causing confusion, and accomplishing nothing but frustration because they have no idea what they are doing ........ retain a sherpa

They are constantly changing the requirements, for no apparent reason, and without warning.
So if you want predictability, you may not be happy.
I always tell people- move to Argentina if you love Argentina.
Not because you heard it was cheap.
Sometimes its cheap, sometimes its not.
It has a lot of its own unique charms, and if you love it, its worth the vagueries of the system.
There is always a way to do almost anything here, but its seldom obvious, simple, or easy. It requires work, talking to people, and perseverence.
For me, there is no question its worth it.
But a lot of people dont think so.

Uruguay is more expensive than Argentina - always has been. Right now, everything costs about 50% more: groceries, gas, utilities, household help - whatever.

In my modest opinion, it will be an excellent move, becausse:
A) You income will be in USD, an the crazy local inflation will only benefit you.
B) It is easy to get a resident visa with your income
C) You can get funds without bringing any cash, there are places and people who will will give you USD in cash (with a 5 % discount)
by making a bank to bank transfer within the USA. NO Arg banking system involved.
D) Or you can get USD from ATM in neighboring Uruguay (900 USD a day).
E) It is possible that things will change and improve after the next election in Nov 2023.

You don’t need to get a resident visa. Argentina is still very easy to stay without a visa by border runs and extending tourist visa. Most of my foreign friends have lived in BA with no problems.

Better not to even get on the radar of their tax authority AFIP

Many people are in the same situation as the OP. Where they might have passive income like rentals or investment income, etc. I don't know why in the world you would want to get on the radar of AFIP (Argentina IRS). You can live in Argentina as a sort of "perma-tourist" for years.

Even if you lived in Argentina, I doubt you'd want to stay in only Argentina. There are a lot of great places to visit like Uruguay and especially Brazil. As well as trips back to the USA.

I don't see any upside at all for wanting to get permanent residency in Argentina. I'd recommend just going down there first and seeing how you like it first and then you can see.

I actually DID go through the time and trouble when I moved to Argentina many years ago to getting my DNI and I have permanent residency but I honestly don't feel like there is too many benefits vs. hassles.

Back