Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Milei’s presidency has Peronism at a crossroads

CFK should be in jail. If she ever got back in office I would definitely move out of Argentina and never come back.
Say what you want about CFK or her husband. Things were much better during their reign. I fondly remember Nestor as President. It was when I first moved here and the economy was better. He inherited a disaster and he turned things around. The IMF debt was also paid off. Prices were not high like today. Poverty rates were nothing like now. Some will argue that Milei inherited this mess but they have gotten much worse in a short amount of time.

Many locals did not make much money but they had a living wage and quality of life was better.

Say what you want about CFK or her husband. Things were much better during their reign. I fondly remember Nestor as President. It was when I first moved here and the economy was better. He inherited a disaster and he turned things around. The IMF debt was also paid off. Prices were not high like today. Poverty rates were nothing like now. Some will argue that Milei inherited this mess but they have gotten much worse in a short amount of time.

Many locals did not make much money but they had a living wage and quality of life was better.
Are you crazy? CFK is the reason why we have all the issues today. Look at all the money she robbed and all the grift. I do agree Nestor was better than his wife but he also got really fortunate with great harvests and record prices. Quickly went down hill after his wife took over.

Milei did not cause this crazy inflation. It was already horrific when he took over and we would be in hyper-inflation under Massa. Not too many people would argue against that. Milei has stated that his measures WILL temporarily cause inflation to go up but it was necessary to fix the economy. Everything he has said he would do he has done. No surprises.

Inflation is slowing down and hopefully by end of the year it will be greatly improved.

Are you crazy? CFK is the reason why we have all the issues today. Look at all the money she robbed and all the grift. I do agree Nestor was better than his wife but he also got really fortunate with great harvests and record prices. Quickly went down hill after his wife took over.

Milei did not cause this crazy inflation. It was already horrific when he took over and we would be in hyper-inflation under Massa. Not too many people would argue against that. Milei has stated that his measures WILL temporarily cause inflation to go up but it was necessary to fix the economy. Everything he has said he would do he has done. No surprises.

Inflation is slowing down and hopefully by end of the year it will be greatly improved.
I disagree with you that we would be in hyperinflation under Massa. He followed a similar policy than CFK and inflation is higher now than any time during CFK or her party. I am convinced if Massa won we wouldn't have the high prices like we are seeing now in pesos or USD. Unemployment and poverty are higher now and imagine how bad things will be at the end of this year. Both will get worse as prices keep going up. If they can't afford prices now do you think they will be able to later. No, things will get worse.

People were much happier back then. Life is miserable now.

I disagree with you that we would be in hyperinflation under Massa. He followed a similar policy than CFK and inflation is higher now than any time during CFK or her party. I am convinced if Massa won we wouldn't have the high prices like we are seeing now in pesos or USD. Unemployment and poverty are higher now and imagine how bad things will be at the end of this year. Both will get worse as prices keep going up. If they can't afford prices now do you think they will be able to later. No, things will get worse.

People were much happier back then. Life is miserable now.
Now definitely seems worse than before. It was no party back then after the corralito. But I feel like it's worse now. Healthcare costs are crazy. Things are expensive. Maybe I'm selfish but I much preferred life as an expat with a strong blue dollar. That is probably how much expats really feel even though they may secretly say they want a better Argentina for the locals.

Back before those with US dollars were joyful and locals were suffering in pesos. Now both are suffering!

Now definitely seems worse than before. It was no party back then after the corralito. But I feel like it's worse now. Healthcare costs are crazy. Things are expensive. Maybe I'm selfish but I much preferred life as an expat with a strong blue dollar. That is probably how much expats really feel even though they may secretly say they want a better Argentina for the locals.

Back before those with US dollars were joyful and locals were suffering in pesos. Now both are suffering!
Truthful post! All the Milei supporters that whine about Cristina ironically were much better off with the looting she did. Everyone is suffering now!

Truthful post! All the Milei supporters that whine about Cristina ironically were much better off with the looting she did. Everyone is suffering now!
Personally I agree that I had a better time with a strong blue dollar vs. now. But I do think as someone that will live in Argentina for the long term that they finally fix the economy. Give Milei a chance. And when I say a chance I don't mean months. See how things are in 2-3 years. Short of that is not fair.

@Larry you are always complaining about how expensive it is here. You compare it to the prices in USA or Europe. I can promise you that life here is NOT as expensive as the States. You are living in a false reality. Go try living in the USA for what you spend in Argentina and I can promise you it's not possible.

Yeah prices of food have gone up. Same with healthcare. Try living in the USA or many other cities for what it cost in Argentina. I own my own place so I don't have rent. Take my budget and I certainly can't move back to the USA or probably most decent cities around the world.

Stop complaining or if you do so much just leave Argentina.

Argentina definitely would be under hyperinflation if Milei did not win. Things are a mess but the country has to at least get on the right track. If Milei can't do it, Argentina is doomed.

Looks like CFK is trying to nudge her way back into politics. Scary.

Back