Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Is Buenos Aires really SO dangerous?

Benny

My girlfriend and I are planning to visit South America in the next year or so. After meeting some locals from the region in Germany last year, I've developed a particular interest in Buenos Aires. However, I've come across numerous horror stories, including muggings being more extreme than in other South American countries (e.g., people having their noses broken over cell phones, watches, etc.). I even watched a video of someone being robbed at gunpoint by a thief on a motorcycle. While I usually take extreme scenarios I read online with a grain of salt, the sheer volume of these stories is somewhat concerning.

I've traveled to Mexico, France, Germany, Slovakia, Slovenia, Italy, Canada, Czech Republic, Poland, Austria, Denmark, as well as almost every U.S. state/major city. I've never had any issues in any of these places. I acknowledge that South America is very different from these countries/states/provinces, with the exception of Mexico.

That being said, I'd like to believe that my girlfriend and I are experienced enough travelers to know how to conduct ourselves properly in a foreign country. We don't flaunt money (if we spend money, we check our surroundings), we don't own any fancy clothing, we only use our smartphones after examining our surroundings, we make an effort to learn the local language, and we generally keep to ourselves (as we know most Americans do NOT).

Despite our somewhat over-cautious approach to international travel, what I've read about this city seems a bit more challenging. It appears that as soon as tourists set foot in any attraction, they are instantly watched and targeted with aggression. Pickpocketing and scamming I can handle. I'm not even worried about moto bandits. It's the armed mugging and physical assault that concerns me (and no, I'm not going to risk being put in an Argentine jail by fighting back against a mugger who will probably stab me for doing so).

I've read this primarily about La Boca, and yes, I am that tourist who wants to visit that area. I'm also that tourist who likes to photograph everything but prefers to deter any negative attention while taking said pictures.

So, after this lengthy explanation (for which I apologize), my question is: are we really walking into the touristic terror state that the internet has presented? Would we really be attacked with brute force immediately? Is it possible to minimize the chances of this happening if we travel with a larger group?

I apologize if I've come off as ignorant or paranoid in this post. This city seems genuinely incredible to me, and I'd love to experience it. I just want to find out for myself if the stories are as bad as they seem.

My girlfriend and I are planning to visit South America in the next year or so. After meeting some locals from the region in Germany last year, I've developed a particular interest in Buenos Aires. However, I've come across numerous horror stories, including muggings being more extreme than in other South American countries (e.g., people having their noses broken over cell phones, watches, etc.). I even watched a video of someone being robbed at gunpoint by a thief on a motorcycle. While I usually take extreme scenarios I read online with a grain of salt, the sheer volume of these stories is somewhat concerning.

I've traveled to Mexico, France, Germany, Slovakia, Slovenia, Italy, Canada, Czech Republic, Poland, Austria, Denmark, as well as almost every U.S. state/major city. I've never had any issues in any of these places. I acknowledge that South America is very different from these countries/states/provinces, with the exception of Mexico.

That being said, I'd like to believe that my girlfriend and I are experienced enough travelers to know how to conduct ourselves properly in a foreign country. We don't flaunt money (if we spend money, we check our surroundings), we don't own any fancy clothing, we only use our smartphones after examining our surroundings, we make an effort to learn the local language, and we generally keep to ourselves (as we know most Americans do NOT).

Despite our somewhat over-cautious approach to international travel, what I've read about this city seems a bit more challenging. It appears that as soon as tourists set foot in any attraction, they are instantly watched and targeted with aggression. Pickpocketing and scamming I can handle. I'm not even worried about moto bandits. It's the armed mugging and physical assault that concerns me (and no, I'm not going to risk being put in an Argentine jail by fighting back against a mugger who will probably stab me for doing so).

I've read this primarily about La Boca, and yes, I am that tourist who wants to visit that area. I'm also that tourist who likes to photograph everything but prefers to deter any negative attention while taking said pictures.

So, after this lengthy explanation (for which I apologize), my question is: are we really walking into the touristic terror state that the internet has presented? Would we really be attacked with brute force immediately? Is it possible to minimize the chances of this happening if we travel with a larger group?

I apologize if I've come off as ignorant or paranoid in this post. This city seems genuinely incredible to me, and I'd love to experience it. I just want to find out for myself if the stories are as bad as they seem.
I visited Buenos Aires and Northern Argentina for the first time in March and am already planning to return next year because I've become enamored with Argentina. It's unlike anywhere I've been in Europe (I've visited most countries) or the Far East, where I usually go annually. The country is a captivating blend of European culture with native Indian influences, especially in the Northern regions. What struck me the most is the down-to-earth friendliness and approachability of Portenos and people in general.

Regarding safety, it's evident that there is poverty amidst the smart buildings and wide avenues. There are plenty of homeless people and individuals begging in the streets, but I never experienced any aggression. Locals treat them with respect and sympathy. I took basic precautions, such as using a taxi at night and avoiding clearly dangerous areas like shantytowns (referred to locally as villas) scattered around the capital. While I refrained from using my smartphone in the streets (they are more expensive there due to high import duties), I observed many locals doing so. I never felt in danger or threatened.

It would be a shame to miss out on the chance to experience the unique attractions of South America due to concerns about personal safety.

I spent a month in Buenos Aires in December 2022, exploring a large part of the city and using buses and the subway extensively. During my visit, I personally didn't encounter any incidents of crime, nor did I witness it happening to others. However, it's important to acknowledge that my experience might not reflect the overall situation, and there's always an element of luck involved.

The locals often advise caution, suggesting that crime is present. We took similar precautions as mentioned by the previous contributor: being aware of our surroundings and exercising general caution. Despite these warnings, we had a positive experience and enjoyed the city. It's essential to be vigilant, but it's also a great city worth exploring and enjoying.

compared to where i was last at in Tampa FL (disgusting downtown surrounding areas like N Nebraska) and Miami FL, BsAs is wayyyyyyy safer in the main areas that earlyretirement recommends on this forum

Buenos Aires is a SUPER safe place. I've been living and working in Buenos Aires for the past 21+ years. I formally owned the largest property management company in Argentina. We dealt with over 100,000 tourists and the only ones that experienced crime were people wearing expensive Cartier or Rolex watches. They had them stolen. Also, we had a few gay males who brought home strangers from gay bars and also got drugged and robbed. But that's about it. Don't worry about the crime and come and enjoy one of the best countries in the world.

Back