Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Is anyone else cutting back on vacation with the inflation? Most of my friends are.

Betsy Ross

Has any one cut back on their travel or vacation? Just about all of my local friends have cut back on travel. Some friends that used to go to Punta del Este or Brazil just went to Mar del Plata this year or Pinamar. Many that used to go to Miami or the USA skipped out this year due to worry about inflation or their jobs. I myself have cut back with fear of the unknown.

This article spells out how a lot of locals fee. Any one else cutting back?

Has any one cut back on their travel or vacation? Just about all of my local friends have cut back on travel. Some friends that used to go to Punta del Este or Brazil just went to Mar del Plata this year or Pinamar. Many that used to go to Miami or the USA skipped out this year due to worry about inflation or their jobs. I myself have cut back with fear of the unknown.

This article spells out how a lot of locals fee. Any one else cutting back?

Yes, same for me. The blue dollar is going back up which helps out with my budget but I feel bad for my local friends. Those who formally traveled to the USA say it's almost impossible for them now. I want to see how things play out.

We still take our annual trip to NYC each Christmas to see my folks and also escape the heat. But yeah a lot of my friends and even my wife's family has skipped out this year from international travel. Many have cut down # of days on their trips and also stayed inside Argentina.

I met a few amigas and besides trips back to see family in Paraguay they aren't traveling. I met a few girls from Venezuela that have lived here for many years but throwing in the towel. I asked them where they will go and they said Spain. I'm not sure how they will end up in Spain as I'd assume getting a visa to visit EU isn't easy for Venezuelans but a few mentioned they were heading to Spain to try their luck.

Strangely enough, having not been back for years I'm thinking of going to Scotland this year for a visit. Our problem has always been the looking after of all our pets while we're away rather than the travelling costs. I'll probably end up having to go on my own leaving the missus to look after them all. Her fault, as she acquired most of them!!

Strangely enough, having not been back for years I'm thinking of going to Scotland this year for a visit. Our problem has always been the looking after of all our pets while we're away rather than the travelling costs. I'll probably end up having to go on my own leaving the missus to look after them all. Her fault, as she acquired most of them!!
Your Mrs. sounds interesting with all her pets and her guns! Ha.

I have not only cut back on trips but also cut back on going out to eat at restaurants. I used to always dine out a few times a week and now I mostly just cook at home. Most of my local friends have been getting raises at work. I'm not clear if this is mandatory or not but one as much as 25% more which is nice. No one is giving me a 25% increase.

I have local friends that have cut out an entire meal out of their day and only eating 2 times per day instead of 3. 2 of my friends are having to cut their private healthcare coverage which they never thought they would have to do. Real sacrifices are being made now.

I have not only cut back on trips but also cut back on going out to eat at restaurants. I used to always dine out a few times a week and now I mostly just cook at home. Most of my local friends have been getting raises at work. I'm not clear if this is mandatory or not but one as much as 25% more which is nice. No one is giving me a 25% increase.

I have local friends that have cut out an entire meal out of their day and only eating 2 times per day instead of 3. 2 of my friends are having to cut their private healthcare coverage which they never thought they would have to do. Real sacrifices are being made now.
Hi @Bill Yes I know a few people who aren't dining out as much either. I am cooking more lately at home vs. dining out. There is a big difference in prices eating at home vs. dining out. But to be fair people have been cutting back for over a year now that I know. Almost 50% of Argentines were below the poverty level before President Milei won the election. Over 32% of permanent full-time workers were below the poverty win before his victory. In fact, that is why he won. People wanted a change.

These cutbacks aren't anything new. It's been going on for a long time now. I have many friends and my maid and other people I know that have been in savings mode for a long time now. I'm not sure if people are trying to equate misery and cutting back due to Milei but that simply isn't the case. A good argument can be made if MIlei didn't win and Massa was President, we would have it much worse with hyper-inflation.

Back