Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Visas If I overstay and pay the fee, does this make any sort of black mark on my passport / records?

In Argentina you can probably always pay someone to look the other way. In 20+ years of living and working in Argentina, I've only known 2 people that got denied when they came back from a border run to Uruguay. But this was after many years of living here as a "perma-tourist". But then they waited a few weeks and got someone else and they got back in. I doubt anyone would be locked out of Argentina long-term. Maybe it's different now but I don't know anyone that has been permanently locked out of Argentina.

Let's keep things in perspective. They are letting in tons of Russians. They are allowing all the poor from Mercosur. Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, etc. They are all coming in droves. I doubt they are going to lock out any Americans or Europeans.

In Argentina you can probably always pay someone to look the other way. In 20+ years of living and working in Argentina, I've only known 2 people that got denied when they came back from a border run to Uruguay. But this was after many years of living here as a "perma-tourist". But then they waited a few weeks and got someone else and they got back in. I doubt anyone would be locked out of Argentina long-term. Maybe it's different now but I don't know anyone that has been permanently locked out of Argentina.

Let's keep things in perspective. They are letting in tons of Russians. They are allowing all the poor from Mercosur. Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, etc. They are all coming in droves. I doubt they are going to lock out any Americans or Europeans.
Hello, I just read this and have a question. I am a US expat been here for 2.5 years. My tourist visa expired in August of 2021. Migrations would not let me extend it told me I had to become a perm citizen. My wife and son are here and according to the consulate for the Argentine government I was told I have to wait until I hit the 3 year mark to apply to be a perm citizen. At that time, I can pay the overstay and apply. Reason is Argentina does a 3 year background check so if I live here for 3 years then apply all will be good. What stinks is I was told if I leave the country before then, I will not be allowed reentry for any reason meaning I would be banned from seeing my wife and child. This bothers me because of I ever need to return back to the US for an emergency between now and May of 2024, I can't. So as much as I would love to believe I can, I don't want to risk it. So if it works for someone that is great.

Sorry to hear about that. I'm not sure in your situation. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go take a Buquebus ferry over to Uruguay at least a few times a year. Cheap and easy solution. Seems risky to wait so long. I just have a friend that overstayed her tourist visa for 2+ years as well and she paid the fine. They gave her flack but she used the COVID as an excuse.

She is coming back next month so I'll post back if she has problems entering.

To pay cleans your record.
this is a post copied from the old forum BAExpats.org, in case any new people are reading this. i still think cross-posted threads should have a different color or a [MARKING] of some kind.

@bwyonsea is @Bajo_cero2 from the old forum, lawyer Christian Rubilar.

he is saying that paying the overstay fee "cleans" you, but this isn't updated since the new presidency and new year 2024. so it's all speculation until someone reports otherwise.

Maybe it's different now but I don't know anyone that has been permanently locked out of Argentina.
even the experienced @earlyretirement doesn't know about some people's experiences have been. on the old forum here:

...Rubilar/Bajo_Cero2 said in 2013 to overstay instead of border-run. seems he has been consistent in the past 10 years about that.

and @naked said: https://www.expatsba.com/threads/an...you-do-border-runs-in-argentina.537/post-3220

...he was denied entry, flown home, unknown how long he was blocked from Argentina. there's a chance now that the algorithm will deny you entry for a period of time. otherwise what would be the point of enforcing a border run, if you could fly back in, same-day? only time will tell, but i'm not risking it.

These one off situations are probably more an issue of a migraciones official having a bad day or something. Sometimes no rhyme or reason of things happening in Argentina. None of my friends have had issues doing border runs or paying penalty to overstay.

These one off situations are probably more an issue of a migraciones official having a bad day or something. Sometimes no rhyme or reason of things happening in Argentina. None of my friends have had issues doing border runs or paying penalty to overstay.
Agreed. I personally know many expats that are permatourists and just do both options. I think that no one knows but so far none have had issues going to Uruguay on border runs or paying penalty. Until we read reports consistently of issues I wouldn't read more into it.

Agreed. I personally know many expats that are permatourists and just do both options. I think that no one knows but so far none have had issues going to Uruguay on border runs or paying penalty. Until we read reports consistently of issues I wouldn't read more into it.
Yep. I talked to many that just went to Uruguay. I just plan to do that and then later in the year I have a trip planned to the US. I'm not worried about this at all. My retired friend is crossing around South America and in and out of Argentina and not had issues. I am not worried about it.

Probably not a one-size-fits-all all solution and everyone needs to assess their own situation. I have had many friends that visited me over the years and fell in love with BA and ended up staying here a year or so and they just did trips over to Brazil or Uruguay. I had one that paid the fee to overstay and she didn't have issues but IIRC it was only a few months. I am not sure I would overstay that long vs. just taking a border run. Technically both are breaking the law so I doubt anyone can definitively say one is better than another. I don't care if it's an immigration lawyer giving the advice. Another might disagree so I think you have to see your own situation.

Back