Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

DanielCaught

Hey all, I haven't seen anyone write on this (correct me if I'm wrong), so I thought I'd share my experience.

As most of you probably assumed, the digital nomad visa process isn't very transparent. To this day, I can't find any information about timeframes or anyone who has successfully navigated the process.

Anyway, in November, I submitted my information and initial payment ($120 USD) to apply for the digital nomad visa. In general, the website is a UX nightmare and incredibly buggy, but after a little bit of struggle, I managed to get my application started.

Then nothing. For almost three months.

A couple of weeks back (early February), I finally heard from the consulate in Chicago asking if I was still interested in the application. Even though I've been in Buenos Aires since New Year's, I figured it was worth a shot. The woman was accommodating but said that their office was not alerted about my application and she only found it through a file audit. I moved forward with the process and paid a second fee ($80 USD) and was supposed to receive a decision within 5 business days. Two weeks later, I contacted the woman at the consulate and she informed me the application was denied because I am already in Argentina. Which, I figured to be honest.

I've read in other threads about tourist visa extensions, so I know I can likely stay until the end of June. I've also read in threads about crossing the border and returning. Regardless of my status, I have to leave to the US at the end of August for a couple weeks but would like to return and stay for an additional year or so.

Based on the experiences of other folks in this group, what do you think is the best course of action? Stay until I have to leave in August and then pay the overstay fee and hope they'll let me back in? Border cross? Or extend the tourist visa until the end of June, overstay, and hope they let me back in after I return in September?

I didn't find anything in the thread search on this topic, but please point me in the right direction if there's something in the archives!

Thanks, everyone!

I would argue that if you can avoid a digital nomad visa, i.e. use a tourist visa, you should. Letting a country know you are working there remotely could open a can of worms that may be better left closed/ambiguous

The digital nomad visa is that a VISA. If you are in Argentina you need to apply for change of category.

Just overstay and pay the fine. Overstaying once is not a big deal. Just don't make it a habit. After 3 times you might be denied entry. But once is fine.

Back