Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer How to flag down a genuine taxi

kann

Hello, I'm a bit nervous about traveling alone and want to ensure I'm getting into a legitimate cab. Could you advise me on what to look for when hailing or getting into a cab to verify its legitimacy? My parents had a bad experience with a non-legitimate cab, so I want to be cautious.

Consider letting your hotel arrange the taxi for you. They're familiar with reputable and legal taxi services, which can help ensure a safer and more reliable journey.

While we didn't spot many taxis with "Radio Taxi" signs on their roofs, there were plenty of yellow and black taxis around. Most of the taxis we hailed had meters, except for one particular ride from Plaza Serrano to Don Julio, where the driver charged a flat rate of 3000 pesos.

One of the days, I'll be passing through, and when I return to town, I'll be staying at an Airbnb.

In Buenos Aires, a non-legitimate taxi? I've been using taxis in Buenos Aires for years, and I always hail them from the street without any issues, even late at night.

In my experience, tourist arrival hubs like Retiro bus and train station, Buquebus ferry terminal, EZE airport, and perhaps the cruise terminal can attract some non-legitimate drivers looking to take advantage. Generally, hailing a black and yellow taxi on the streets is a safe option. While using the hotel for assistance works well when you're at the hotel, it might not be as practical when you need a ride from elsewhere.

A reliable taxi guide with prices listed in US dollars, while accurate, may not reflect the current exchange rate in ARS due to inflation. For instance, the recommendation to carry banknotes of $100 ARS may not be practical, as these notes are scarce due to their low value.

No need to worry about taxis in Buenos Aires. I have lived here for years and never heard of anyone having issues flagging down taxis. Or if you are worried just use Uber, Didi or Cabify. But taxis in BA are generally known to be safe. But many rideshare apps available if you don't feel safe. I am confused about taxis listed in USD. No taxis were are quoted in USD. Some information on various blogs are old and outdated. 100 pesos is nothing now in BA.

Even that blog above dated February 2024 is not correct. There aren't 38,000 taxis in Buenos Aires anymore. There used to be but most of those have been replaced by Ubers and DiDi and private rideshare. There are far fewer taxis now. Also that blog says Uber is not legal and that is false. Even the taxis are set up to use Uber now.

Last edited:
Taxis have always been safe to take in Buenos Aires. Never heard or known anyone that has had issues flagging down a taxi in Buenos Aires. But these days most prefer to use Uber.

Back