Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer How much does it cost to live well in Buenos Aires?

In general terms, yes, it is enough, but I defined a nice place and how many rooms haha, because the numbers get smaller...

Basically the rent/expensas/taxes is what takes the big number... A car in CABA is another detail, they will charge you more for garage, insurance (risk) but you didn't mention that, so I'm just telling you to give you an idea.
You don't live in any of those neighborhoods with that kind of money....

You don't live in any of those neighborhoods with that kind of money....
What these areas have is that there is a lot of Airbnb that already charge in dollars, and with the discontinuity of the rent law plus inflation, I do not think that a monkey in recoleta/belgrano area is less than 300/350 lucas (and it seems to me that it is low, but I reiterate, the expenses are an issue in CABA, they should be around 40/60 lucas). Clearly this is in your budget, but housing expenses already eat you more than half of it.

Another issue is as another comment said, your salary is generally adjusted for inflation? because the new rents are adjusting every 3 or 6 months and with this inflation they are going to move every short period of time.

Can you live in Buenos Aires with 700 thousand pesos (2024)?
Is it possible to live in the city of Buenos Aires being single and renting in a nice place and living well with that money? What do you think.
Fair and square the truth. Because the rents of nice places in nice neighborhoods, in my opinion, are going to eat at least 50% of that salary (rent + expenses + utilities). Travel expenses. Food. And initially furnishing an apartment is expensive. Look how much a sommier costs. Or a washing machine, even a used one. A TV. A table. A chair.

I think that with a thousand dollars you can live well, 1/3 is spent in a normal rent, and with 700 dollars you can live comfortably, not exaggeratedly but if you manage well you can go out 2 or 3 times a week and not worry too much. Now to live well in a good apartment probably 2000 usd, a nice apartment for 1 person in a good area is around 700usd.
I think more or less so far up to now this is correct. It depend what you consider 'live well'. For me and my boyfriend we make around $1,000 USD combined and I would not say we live well but we get by. We do not eat out much unless my parents invite us. I agree to have really good life and go out as we prefer with $2,000 USD each month we could do it.

Back