Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Have you noticed that cinemas in Buenos Aires are showing fewer and fewer English subtitled movies?

In Spain there are subtitled films, the Spanish dubbing is different than in Argentina but there are subtitled films, I refuse to watch a film in any language other than the original, regardless of the origin of the film.

In Spain there are subtitled films, the Spanish dubbing is different than in Argentina but there are subtitled films, I refuse to watch a film in any language other than the original, regardless of the origin of the film.
But in Spain there are very few theaters that show movies in the original language and with subtitles, and usually they are specialized theaters and not the big cinemas like here...

I had a period in which I stopped going to the movies... I used to go quite a lot when I was a kid/teenager in the 90's and early 2000's and I remember seeing the Back to the Future movies in English during winter vacations, especially for school kids, and I had to read it to my brother who was next to me because I was 12 and he was 8... And they were shows for kids...

And in the 2000 /2010 I stopped going to the movies and now that I have returned these last few years it is difficult to see subtitled movies and there are less and less... With my wife we used to go to see Argentine movies because she doesn't like subtitled movies, she has sight problems, and now with my baby she is a girl and the children's movies are all dubbed, but sometimes I go alone and there are not many shows with movies in original language...

But in Spain there are very few theaters that show movies in the original language and with subtitles, and usually they are specialized theaters and not the big cinemas like here...

I had a period in which I stopped going to the movies... I used to go quite a lot when I was a kid/teenager in the 90's and early 2000's and I remember seeing the Back to the Future movies in English during winter vacations, especially for school kids, and I had to read it to my brother who was next to me because I was 12 and he was 8... And they were shows for kids...

And in the 2000 /2010 I stopped going to the movies and now that I have returned these last few years it is difficult to see subtitled movies and there are less and less... With my wife we used to go to see Argentine movies because she doesn't like subtitled movies, she has sight problems, and now with my baby she is a girl and the children's movies are all dubbed, but sometimes I go alone and there are not many shows with movies in original language...
Where in Spain are you referring to? In Madrid all the big cinemas have VOSE (original version with Spanish subtitles). Cinemas like Yelmo, Cinemark and some others that I can't remember the name right now.

It depends a lot on the area where you go to the movies.
But most people can't watch and read at the same time.

This last time I started to see how people have a severe mental limitation, I don't say retarded, but a lot of things that in my opinion should be basic or natural are missing.

This last time I started to see how people have a severe mental limitation, I don't say retarded, but a lot of things that in my opinion should be basic or natural are missing.
It is a cognitive and cultural decadence, it is happening a lot in media and technology, and it is not only happening here, it simply has different degrees all over the world.
So many things are done to make access easy, quick and simple, that the person doesn't have to put in any effort or develop any skills, it's going to end up being a pre-digested regurgitation.
Not only does it end up reducing a person's skills, it also makes them apathetic and reduces their capacity for tolerance, you see people who if the app doesn't open and proceed in microseconds throw a tantrum.

I confirm, a former friend told me that she couldn't see and read at the same time, being that she considered herself "re intelligent and capable".

That's why when I go to the movies (and I do it very often) I go to Cinepolis in Recoleta.... There, you don't have to complain, you always have movies in the original language, with subtitles.
I have had to smoke movies with Spanish dubbing in the Hoyts, and some other ex-vilage today Cinepolis, but the truth is that the one in front of the cemetery in Recoleta, as they already said, has to do with the area.

That's why when I go to the movies (and I do it very often) I go to Cinepolis in Recoleta.... There, you don't have to complain, you always have movies in the original language, with subtitles.
I have had to smoke movies with Spanish dubbing in the Hoyts, and some other ex-vilage today Cinepolis, but the truth is that the one in front of the cemetery in Recoleta, as they already said, has to do with the area.
That is also the theatre that I mostly go to. I don't know if there are less movies in English but I find going to the movies extremely affordable compared to the USA where it was getting crazy.

I hate to admit it but I mostly just go to Pirate Bay and download the latest releases and watch them at home.

I didn't know that Pirate Bay was still around. Is it safe to download movies?
Pirate Bay is alive and kicking. I use it all the time. Best to use a VPN before downloading. Not sure it matters too much in Argentina but back home in the US they track and will contact your internet provider if they catch you downloading stuff.

Back