Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Is there any trick of finding train tickets from Buenos Aires to Mar del Plata? Tickets always show sold out?

MikeRoss

I noticed there is a very affordable option to go from Buenos Aires to Mar del Plata via train. Fares look really low like from 4,000 pesos to about 14,000 pesos. But is there any trick with actually finding tickets? I've looked several times and it always shows sold out. I've been trying since early December. Is this just not available anymore? Or is it perpetually sold out?

I have only tried online. If I go to a station will they be available?

Hours of the times it leaves:

The links are fares are correct but you should note that tickets are typically all sold out well ahead of time during the summer/vacation period. Sometimes they will open up if people cancel but I have seen it sold out during summers. Especially this year when many are staying inside Argentina.

It goes without saying these prices are HEAVILY subsidized by the government. In case you can't figure it out,it's impossible to make any money at these prices. Fees should go up tremendously as they are too cheap at these rates for then to make money.

I've taken this train many times over the past many years. I usually take it to go to Pinamar. You actually take the train to Mar del Plata and change at General Guido). It's nothing special. Macri bought these Chinese made trains when he was President. It's no frills but gets you from point A to point B. I prefer it to the bus.

You can walk around, and the toilets are more spacious. Pullman class has a bit more space, but it's not a big difference. There used to be a great dining car, but not anymore. Now, you can only get mediocre sandwiches and light snacks. Buying tickets is a bit tricky; they sell out quickly. Check online daily when they open a few days before the travel date. It might be a bit complicated, so make sure you understand the process.

Milei will most likely sell this to a private company and that of course will mean the end of subsidized passenger service. But I'm not sure if people will pay high prices. Remains to be seen. Maybe as gas prices are expensive too.

I tried to get a ticket several times but always was sold out. I just thought the website was broken and gave up. But this explains it. Thanks all.

Back