Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Desperation situation - I caught my maid of 12 years stealing from me toilet paper and food

How much have you been paying your maid?

A bus ride is around 300 pesos (with a registered SUBE card, otherwise it's around 500), if she has to take a couple of buses to get to your place, the second bus costs less per km. In any case, a 2,000 peso bus ride per day would most likely cover it.

It is very easy these days for people to find out how much others are making 📲.
I was paying her 2,500 per hour before and no transportation. I have friends back in Seattle who are shocked it's so low but I moved here primarily to save money and I just worry how quickly things can change. BA is a nice enough city but lots of hassles too. Low cost made up for the hassles but not sure if costs continue to go up.

I am amazed how much cost of living has gone up just since last year a few months ago. People rave about how great the food is here. I agree it is much better than places like Colombia but I went to Rio de Janeiro and I find the food much better there than BA. Now I think Rio might be on par with cost of living than BA and weather is much nicer and they have beaches. I don't find it as safe there but this flaming hot cheeto likes a little spice. But I signed 12 month lease so I wouldn't leave until the lease is over. Gay scene is better in Rio vs. BA.

I am amazed how much cost of living has gone up just since last year a few months ago. People rave about how great the food is here. I agree it is much better than places like Colombia but I went to Rio de Janeiro and I find the food much better there than BA. Now I think Rio might be on par with cost of living than BA and weather is much nicer and they have beaches. I don't find it as safe there but this flaming hot cheeto likes a little spice. But I signed 12 month lease so I wouldn't leave until the lease is over. Gay scene is better in Rio vs. BA.
This is a common theme amongst some of my expat friends in BA. They say it is worth putting up with red tape here and general inefficiencies when it was so cheap. But not so much now that cost is 2-3 X what it was not too long ago and services still are horrible. Most people agree costs needed to go up but all suddenly at once is too much to bare. You see it with the healthcare cost and other things. Recipe for disaster.

This is a common theme amongst some of my expat friends in BA. They say it is worth putting up with red tape here and general inefficiencies when it was so cheap. But not so much now that cost is 2-3 X what it was not too long ago and services still are horrible. Most people agree costs needed to go up but all suddenly at once is too much to bare. You see it with the healthcare cost and other things. Recipe for disaster.
This is true and part of the reason why I was open to leaving once my girlfriend suggested Spain. BA is awesome an feels like a great city when it is cheap and affordable. But once it starts getting somewhat expensive, the shine wears off. Once it is on par with prices abroad then it absolutely seems like a city that has a lot of problems with no cost benefits. I think that is what many expats as well as locals as well are dealing with.

And into the mix the major hassles with guarantor system for long-term rentals. And literally 100% cash when buying vs. paying with mortgage in other countries and all the warts start to appear of how unappealing Argentina can be.

Because the economy is so bad, a large % of people are depressed there. Very expensive and hard to get electronics and other consumer goods vs, just ordering online and getting next day in many countries for 1/3 or 1/4 the price of Buenos Aires.

Wow I didn't realize so many people live outside of the City. Is that common there? I would guess cost of living will be lower. I am told probably the best neighborhood for us would be Palermo.
We live here becase this is where my wife is from. Although there are people living here who work in Buenos Aires they don't commute daily to the capital as it's a 2+ hour drive away.

We live here becase this is where my wife is from. Although there are people living here who work in Buenos Aires they don't commute daily to the capital as it's a 2+ hour drive away.
If you're wife wasn't from Argentina would you want to move back to your home country?

Back