Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Desperation situation - I caught my maid of 12 years stealing from me toilet paper and food

Avocado

To tell how bad situation here is I caught my maid stealing from me. I hire her for 12 years and always very good person. Last few weeks I notice my pantry missing some food. Normally I keep more but with tight budget I can't buy so much. Today I find in my maids bag cans of tuna and toilet paper and some other things. I feel very bad. I don't know if I should fire her. This show me truly how bad the situation is here.

To tell how bad situation here is I caught my maid stealing from me. I hire her for 12 years and always very good person. Last few weeks I notice my pantry missing some food. Normally I keep more but with tight budget I can't buy so much. Today I find in my maids bag cans of tuna and toilet paper and some other things. I feel very bad. I don't know if I should fire her. This show me truly how bad the situation is here.
Sorry to hear about this. I think if you live here long enough this is one of those unfortunate situations. I had the same thing happen a few years ago. It is a horrible feeling not to be able to trust your maid. I had a maid for 3 years and she was always very good, did a great job and was honest. One day I started missing some cash that I had in a drawer. I wasn't sure but then I counted and placed some money in a drawer and sure enough it was missing.

I thought I was going crazy as sometimes I would swear that certain things were missing but I never thought anything of it. I never kept much cash at all in the house luckily. I also fired her although she would never admit it. The worst thing was I was just paying her in cash and she filed a lawsuit against me and I had to end up giving her some money just to not have to deal with it.

First of all, I am very sorry to hear about this as it must be tough since she has worked for you for so many years. 12 years would be like part of the family. Ours hasn't worked that long but she already is like family. Ours actually asks us for loans or if we can pay her in advance sometimes and although that can also be stressful I would rather do that than her have to steal from us. Once you lose that trust, you will always wonder. Not sure if you want to give her one warning. Anything else missing from your house @Avocado?

Situation is not that great for the poor. I'm not sure how they can manage. But the first time ever I'm seeing shoplifting in the stores. I have been at the supermarket a few times and see people either eating things that they are picking up or from packages or stealing and putting in their bag. All the bigger stores seem to have security guards at the exits but I don't think they care.

I have had the same type of thing happen in Brazil. You need to nip it in the bud and just fire her. You will never trust her again and she knows that. You have to be careful as in Brazil and maybe Buenos Aires also the maids know where you might keep cash or valuables and you have to worry about them robbing you if you don't live in a building with 24/7 security guards. Theft is theft. Fire her and maybe give her some severance of whatever the legal requirement is and part ways.

I have had the same type of thing happen in Brazil. You need to nip it in the bud and just fire her. You will never trust her again and she knows that. You have to be careful as in Brazil and maybe Buenos Aires also the maids know where you might keep cash or valuables and you have to worry about them robbing you if you don't live in a building with 24/7 security guards. Theft is theft. Fire her and maybe give her some severance of whatever the legal requirement is and part ways.
I would agree with this based on my experience. Once you lose trust you will never get it back.

I own properties in many countries and this is tough when you have maids or employees doing things like this. Fortunately I have only had to deal with this a few times over the past 20+ years. It is very sad to hear people having to steal food. 12 years is a long time. You must have a good relationship and happy with her work if she has lasted that long. If you haven't had any other experiences with missing items, I would probably see what she had to say but if she just told me she was hungry and not able to feed her family, I would offer to help.

Most of my maids in different countries in Latin America typically have a good enough relationship with me that they will just ask me for a loan if they are short on funds. And I always do it. Some offer to pay me in X days/weeks but I just tell them I can pay in advance and just subtract it later. I've never not gotten paid back.

It is hard to replace a really good and dependable maid so I would factor that into the mix as well. If it was me, I would give a really direct talk warning to never do it again, to just communicate if she needed help and seeing how things go.

If you can communicate with your maid in Castellano, talk to her. Tell her that you have noticed pantry items missing and that you know they are missing because "yo siempre hago una lista de lo que tengo en la alacena" and now you see that tuna cans and toilet paper rolls have disappeared. Tell her that things have become expensive to you too and you have been thinking about stopping the maid service, and now that things have started to disappear you are not sure you can trust her anymore. Most likely she will deny that she took anything and, if so, then you'll have to decide whether you want to give her another chance (since what she's stolen so far is pantry goods and not money). If she admits that she did take those things, that's a good thing, at least the woman is not a lier. In either case, it will be very difficult for you to trust her again. I wouldn't, I just can't forget that type of thing.

If your maid is reliable and performs well, dismissing her means having to search for and train a replacement, which can be quite challenging. Finding trustworthy and dependable maids isn't easy, as you know.

Yet, this unfortunate experience could lead to positive outcomes. By retaining your maid, she now knows that you keep a close eye on your belongings and feels a loss of trust. Moreover, she realizes that her income is at stake and knows that for a maid it is also not easy to find a good and fair employer, who won't exploit her.

I hope this situation can be resolved favorably for you. 🤞🏻

My mother always had two maids, a live-in, who was like a mother to me, and another woman who came three times a week to do the hard work (floors, glass, polishing, etc.). Our home had a separate service area with two small bedrooms, a bathroom, and a clever layout that kept our maid discreetly out of view. Yet, it's nearly impossible to shield everything from a live-in maid—she inevitably sees and hears things, even when we attempt to keep our conversations private. Often, when my father conducted business from home, he'd occasionally forget to shut one of the doors to his office. My mother would spend hours on the phone, often paying little attention to who might be listening.... We can never be certain what details maids may pick up about their employers' lives.

Because of that, I have never had live-in maids, keep nothing of value at home (no jewelry, nothing valuable that's easy enough for a thief to take).

BTW, I just thought that, in your case, it would help to keep a running list of what's in your pantry very visible to the maid. I know that sounds a bit too much, but it might help prevent more things from disappearing in the future.

(Sorry for such a long post!)

If you can communicate with your maid in Castellano, talk to her. Tell her that you have noticed pantry items missing and that you know they are missing because "yo siempre hago una lista de lo que tengo en la alacena" and now you see that tuna cans and toilet paper rolls have disappeared. Tell her that things have become expensive to you too and you have been thinking about stopping the maid service, and now that things have started to disappear you are not sure you can trust her anymore. Most likely she will deny that she took anything and, if so, then you'll have to decide whether you want to give her another chance (since what she's stolen so far is pantry goods and not money). If she admits that she did take those things, that's a good thing, at least the woman is not a lier. In either case, it will be very difficult for you to trust her again. I wouldn't, I just can't forget that type of thing.

If your maid is reliable and performs well, dismissing her means having to search for and train a replacement, which can be quite challenging. Finding trustworthy and dependable maids isn't easy, as you know.

Yet, this unfortunate experience could lead to positive outcomes. By retaining your maid, she now knows that you keep a close eye on your belongings and feels a loss of trust. Moreover, she realizes that her income is at stake and knows that for a maid it is also not easy to find a good and fair employer, who won't exploit her.

I hope this situation can be resolved favorably for you. 🤞🏻

My mother always had two maids, a live-in, who was like a mother to me, and another woman who came three times a week to do the hard work (floors, glass, polishing, etc.). Our home had a separate service area with two small bedrooms, a bathroom, and a clever layout that kept our maid discreetly out of view. Yet, it's nearly impossible to shield everything from a live-in maid—she inevitably sees and hears things, even when we attempt to keep our conversations private. Often, when my father conducted business from home, he'd occasionally forget to shut one of the doors to his office. My mother would spend hours on the phone, often paying little attention to who might be listening.... We can never be certain what details maids may pick up about their employers' lives.

Because of that, I have never had live-in maids, keep nothing of value at home (no jewelry, nothing valuable that's easy enough for a thief to take).

BTW, I just thought that, in your case, it would help to keep a running list of what's in your pantry very visible to the maid. I know that sounds a bit too much, but it might help prevent more things from disappearing in the future.

(Sorry for such a long post!)
Thank you all for good advice. I have good talk with her like Sunny mention. I am aware of what I buy so it was easy to see things like toilet paper missing. I only buy 4 at a time. In this case I just saw 4 rolls and then later in afternoon I see 3 rolls. I thought I going crazy. I look in her bag and I see it. My heart broke. I love this maid like sister.

She cry. I cry. We cried together how bad the economy is. We have hard times in Argentina but this time worse. I give her one more chance. She not stealing for her but for her kids at home. Great advice @Sunny. Thanks for you time.

That's very sad to read, @Avocado. It's good that you have a solution, albeit temporary.

The worst thing is that the trust you placed in her has gone.

The same thing happened to us about 7 years ago/ we had a girl who was great but then we noticed THAT SOME OF MY WIFES JEWELLEY WAS MISSING.

One piece came from Denmark and is not available in Argentina and it was fairly unique.

A week later, we spotted the piece on the girl's Facebook page.....

We sacked her immediately

Her husband, who looked after our garden, was also invited to leave.

That's very sad to read, @Avocado. It's good that you have a solution, albeit temporary.

The worst thing is that the trust you placed in her has gone.

The same thing happened to us about 7 years ago/ we had a girl who was great but then we noticed THAT SOME OF MY WIFES JEWELLEY WAS MISSING.

One piece came from Denmark and is not available in Argentina and it was fairly unique.

A week later, we spotted the piece on the girl's Facebook page.....

We sacked her immediately

Her husband, who looked after our garden, was also invited to leave.
That is terrible about the jewelry. I cannot believe she would dare to put the necklace in photos. What has this world come to when things like this happen. I think if you live in South America long enough you will experience this. I also had the same thing happen to me years ago but it wasn't with theft of my goods at home. The maid was using my debit card to make small purchases for herself. I believe she was also buying extra food at the store each time she would buy my groceries. I fired her immediately which I think is the only thing you can do.

Thank you all for good advice. I have good talk with her like Sunny mention. I am aware of what I buy so it was easy to see things like toilet paper missing. I only buy 4 at a time. In this case I just saw 4 rolls and then later in afternoon I see 3 rolls. I thought I going crazy. I look in her bag and I see it. My heart broke. I love this maid like sister.

She cry. I cry. We cried together how bad the economy is. We have hard times in Argentina but this time worse. I give her one more chance. She not stealing for her but for her kids at home. Great advice @Sunny. Thanks for you time.
My pleasure, Avocado. Glad to hear you had a good talk with her. If she is a decent person, it must've been very hard for her to face the consequences of her acts. You both learned some very important from this.

Actually, this sort of thing happens all over the world, even in the States. I have lived in three continents and six countries. In the States some of my neighbors (gated community) complained about maids and gardeners stealing from them.
This is very true. I have several properties in various countries and this problem exists everywhere not just Argentina. Just the other day here in the gated community that I live in, one of our good friends and neighbors caught her maid taking some stuff. Nothing major and just same kind of thing as @Avocado. It was food items. Our friend has a live in maid and they buy her food but her mom went into her room and she found a bag full of a bunch of food items (she goes to Tijuana on the weekends). Stuff like energy bars, beef jerky, and various food items.

The worst thing is it's so tough to find a good maid here they never confronted her about it and just put a lock on their closet in the kitchen. So this kind of thing happens everywhere. We don't have inflation as bad as Argentina but things here are very expensive as well so the lower classes are all suffering probably everywhere.

I think many of us had situations like this before. Many years ago I had a similar situation with maid in BA. I didn't tell her I knew as I didn't want to create animosity. I just told her I was going to move back to the States and ended things well with her. Here you never know.

Back