Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Banking Credit Card real-world rate "MEP" transaction repo (Dec2023)

The reason the owner of Silk Road got so much jail time is so others don't start these kind of websites
spoken like the usual boot-licking NPC that you usually are, on this forum. your worship of the State and all its decisions are very strange in a world where Argentina's peronist cabal destroyed a massive country with huge resources and intelligent people. the USA is perpetuating a forever-war on Ukraine and the Middle East (and still messing-around in S America and Africa, always) and laundering money to elites in other countries as "foreign aid." the national USA debt is past 34 trillion and we can barely print enough money to pay the interest to China and others. would you criticize any of these policies, that harm the average citizen of Argentina and the USA?

if you criticize them, what for? can the federal/national government be making unethical choices, or only when your "guy" is in office? would you criticize Biden or Trump for doing what the other one did, and if so, why not?

the State is a leviathan that will do anything to retain and grow its power; this is human politics in all of history. the reason Ulbricht got double-life sentencing was because the Federal government was lobbied, judges were bribed, intellectual property (IP) laws were changed, and he was to be a symbol of what the global elite want the world to look like: private individuals should not be allowed to exchange goods and services without the government being able to read, censor, control, and tax this conduct. the entire point of the system of global elites is to make it so people watch the "news" and feel they are informed about the goodness of their tribe/country, while aristocrats lobby legislators and executive-branch staff to gain a monopoly on more and more of the economy and society.

This is not a fair argument. You can't compare someone starting a website to share information with Silk Road where many illegal drugs and other illegal services was the main purpose of the website. It is apples and rocks trying to compare the two. The point is that Ulbricht started an illegal website to buy and sell illegal substances. He is an intelligent person. He knew the risks and now he is paying for it.

Ulbricht offered a website where you could trade with someone else across the world, in an anonymous transaction, with a mostly-anonymous currency, for various things. it wouldn't matter if SilkRoad was a proto-Etsy where people in Bolivia were crafting t-shirts for meme fans in Kazakhstan; the premise would be the same, where the State can't allow decentralization and deregulation of even the most basic acts.

Napster and Kazaa and BitTorrent in the past 30 years have shown that massive corporations will use politicians to exact ruthless reprisals on lowly individuals who are rejecting the system they've been forced to exist in. have you ever downloaded music, movies, photos, articles, magazines, etc. online without paying the creator? then you ought to go to prison for life, right? if you haven't, you're either a fucking weirdo or a liar, or ignorant of how many international and national laws you are currently breaking without even knowing. have you ever rented in Argentina pre-2024 in Dollars, not Pesos? sounds like you need to go to Argentine prison, right? have you ever exaggerated your tax liability, or valued your properties/deductions at a different amount than the government would say? again, prison, right?

you think you're so different than Ulbricht, but you aren't. we all break arbitrary, victimless crimes every year. if the Argentine and US governments agreed that any pets were a carbon harm to the environment and they made pet ownership illegal for "the good" would you comply? or would you secretly have pets and go to a black-market veterinarian for your healthcare needs? these are all eerily reminiscent of the Nazi and Soviet strategies for totalitarianism; make some things/people illegal, create a fear of wrong-doing, and seize power in the name of law and order.

Ulbricht was made an example of, yes. this is the only thing you've described honestly. but for every 'bad' website you think exists (which you have no clue what percentage of criminality was ongoing, by the way), there are also harmless services/sites that are in violation of some law, somewhere. Ulbricht was implementing the peer-to-peer deregulated and decentralized way of life that humans are pursuing in the 21st century, with the advent of cheap internet and globalization. this takes power from the State, and he probably knew, like Snowden did, that any challenge to the professional lobbying corporations (Dreamworks, Raytheon, etc.) will be met with government violence, since their coffers are almost always filled by the corporate elite who want 'rules for thee, but not for me'

have you even ever listened to the other side of the Ulbricht argument, @Vero? i would guess not, based on your overall lack of nuance and compassion for people who you view to be 'bad' or 'evil' in your Sowellian desire to be on the "Side of the Angels" all the time. for those who aren't robotic serfs who will continually praise their subjugation, here are many arguments for why Ulbricht should not be in prison 2013-2024 for making a website:
he didn't "own" anything on that website, in the same sense that earlyretirement doesn't "own" anything here on this forum. you always ignore my challenges to your contradictions an instead argue some childish view of the world that could have only come from the TV Man.

you have no clue what was happening on the SilkRoad, and you don't care - your 'side' convinced you that he's evil and now is paying; a cartoonish view of the world where good triumphs over evil, that only a moron like Marx could have fabricated with his proletariat-overthrowing-the-bourgeoisie idiocy

i would happily be using the SilkRoad today in Argentina to buy products from around the world for competitive prices, fast shipping, using cryptocurrency, and user reviews to guide my purchases. SilkRoad is the Amazon.com of this century, but it made the mistake of not asking for permission to pay taxes to a corrupt government that wages war and aids in genocide. why should i pay taxes on my purchases, when the government does nothing but over-regulate and stifle my free trade with other peaceful humans? i don't want my money going to the endless war in Ukraine, funding Neo-Nazi battalions, nor bombing hospitals in Gaza. i want out of it. so the SilkRoad would be great, and it might actually get products here to Argentina, unlike the shitty options i have right now (Amazon won't arrive, iHerb.com gets cancelled/delayed, MercadoLibre requires a DNI, etc.)

in China, this forum would be an "illegal website" because it doesn't report every word to the communist party leadership and allow them full control. should we shut this down, then? because your worldview is what is causing people in China, NK, Cuba, Venezuela, etc. to be crushed daily under the boot of tyranny and thought control.

the greatest books to eliminate the desire to be subjugated like digital serfs in 2024 are: 1984, Animal Farm, War is a Racket, Atlas Shrugged, A Conflict of Visions, The Israel Lobby, Superabundance, and of course movie-wise watch V For Vendetta every 05Nov.

of note for you, Vero, would be reading Erasmus' Praise of Folly through the lens of how stupid your boot-licking mindset would be, compared to the folly demonstrated in that book. it's also hilarious, even if you still continue to disregard everything opposing your worldview, and ignore me :)

spoken like the usual boot-licking NPC that you usually are, on this forum. your worship of the State and all its decisions are very strange in a world where Argentina's peronist cabal destroyed a massive country with huge resources and intelligent people. the USA is perpetuating a forever-war on Ukraine and the Middle East (and still messing-around in S America and Africa, always) and laundering money to elites in other countries as "foreign aid." the national USA debt is past 34 trillion and we can barely print enough money to pay the interest to China and others. would you criticize any of these policies, that harm the average citizen of Argentina and the USA?

if you criticize them, what for? can the federal/national government be making unethical choices, or only when your "guy" is in office? would you criticize Biden or Trump for doing what the other one did, and if so, why not?

the State is a leviathan that will do anything to retain and grow its power; this is human politics in all of history. the reason Ulbricht got double-life sentencing was because the Federal government was lobbied, judges were bribed, intellectual property (IP) laws were changed, and he was to be a symbol of what the global elite want the world to look like: private individuals should not be allowed to exchange goods and services without the government being able to read, censor, control, and tax this conduct. the entire point of the system of global elites is to make it so people watch the "news" and feel they are informed about the goodness of their tribe/country, while aristocrats lobby legislators and executive-branch staff to gain a monopoly on more and more of the economy and society.

Ulbricht offered a website where you could trade with someone else across the world, in an anonymous transaction, with a mostly-anonymous currency, for various things. it wouldn't matter if SilkRoad was a proto-Etsy where people in Bolivia were crafting t-shirts for meme fans in Kazakhstan; the premise would be the same, where the State can't allow decentralization and deregulation of even the most basic acts.

Napster and Kazaa and BitTorrent in the past 30 years have shown that massive corporations will use politicians to exact ruthless reprisals on lowly individuals who are rejecting the system they've been forced to exist in. have you ever downloaded music, movies, photos, articles, magazines, etc. online without paying the creator? then you ought to go to prison for life, right? if you haven't, you're either a fucking weirdo or a liar, or ignorant of how many international and national laws you are currently breaking without even knowing. have you ever rented in Argentina pre-2024 in Dollars, not Pesos? sounds like you need to go to Argentine prison, right? have you ever exaggerated your tax liability, or valued your properties/deductions at a different amount than the government would say? again, prison, right?

you think you're so different than Ulbricht, but you aren't. we all break arbitrary, victimless crimes every year. if the Argentine and US governments agreed that any pets were a carbon harm to the environment and they made pet ownership illegal for "the good" would you comply? or would you secretly have pets and go to a black-market veterinarian for your healthcare needs? these are all eerily reminiscent of the Nazi and Soviet strategies for totalitarianism; make some things/people illegal, create a fear of wrong-doing, and seize power in the name of law and order.

Ulbricht was made an example of, yes. this is the only thing you've described honestly. but for every 'bad' website you think exists (which you have no clue what percentage of criminality was ongoing, by the way), there are also harmless services/sites that are in violation of some law, somewhere. Ulbricht was implementing the peer-to-peer deregulated and decentralized way of life that humans are pursuing in the 21st century, with the advent of cheap internet and globalization. this takes power from the State, and he probably knew, like Snowden did, that any challenge to the professional lobbying corporations (Dreamworks, Raytheon, etc.) will be met with government violence, since their coffers are almost always filled by the corporate elite who want 'rules for thee, but not for me'

have you even ever listened to the other side of the Ulbricht argument, @Vero? i would guess not, based on your overall lack of nuance and compassion for people who you view to be 'bad' or 'evil' in your Sowellian desire to be on the "Side of the Angels" all the time. for those who aren't robotic serfs who will continually praise their subjugation, here are many arguments for why Ulbricht should not be in prison 2013-2024 for making a website:
he didn't "own" anything on that website, in the same sense that earlyretirement doesn't "own" anything here on this forum. you always ignore my challenges to your contradictions an instead argue some childish view of the world that could have only come from the TV Man.

you have no clue what was happening on the SilkRoad, and you don't care - your 'side' convinced you that he's evil and now is paying; a cartoonish view of the world where good triumphs over evil, that only a moron like Marx could have fabricated with his proletariat-overthrowing-the-bourgeoisie idiocy

i would happily be using the SilkRoad today in Argentina to buy products from around the world for competitive prices, fast shipping, using cryptocurrency, and user reviews to guide my purchases. SilkRoad is the Amazon.com of this century, but it made the mistake of not asking for permission to pay taxes to a corrupt government that wages war and aids in genocide. why should i pay taxes on my purchases, when the government does nothing but over-regulate and stifle my free trade with other peaceful humans? i don't want my money going to the endless war in Ukraine, funding Neo-Nazi battalions, nor bombing hospitals in Gaza. i want out of it. so the SilkRoad would be great, and it might actually get products here to Argentina, unlike the shitty options i have right now (Amazon won't arrive, iHerb.com gets cancelled/delayed, MercadoLibre requires a DNI, etc.)

in China, this forum would be an "illegal website" because it doesn't report every word to the communist party leadership and allow them full control. should we shut this down, then? because your worldview is what is causing people in China, NK, Cuba, Venezuela, etc. to be crushed daily under the boot of tyranny and thought control.

the greatest books to eliminate the desire to be subjugated like digital serfs in 2024 are: 1984, Animal Farm, War is a Racket, Atlas Shrugged, A Conflict of Visions, The Israel Lobby, Superabundance, and of course movie-wise watch V For Vendetta every 05Nov.

of note for you, Vero, would be reading Erasmus' Praise of Folly through the lens of how stupid your boot-licking mindset would be, compared to the folly demonstrated in that book. it's also hilarious, even if you still continue to disregard everything opposing your worldview, and ignore me :)
Jeff Bezos, Ulbricht was not. I don't know about all illegal websites you talk about. I don't break laws. I understand Argentina have white and black system. But buying dollars on black market is not like buying cocaine on black market. You can't compare the two.

I don't know about all illegal websites you talk about. I don't break laws.
yeah, okay, i'm sure you report all your taxes and pay what the laws actually say. this would make you the literal only person in Argentina who follows the letter of the law. so, no, you don't...you're a liar and haven't responded to any of the things i said that contradict your infantile view of legality. moving on:

MEP real-world for you folks: 939 all holiday weekend. and now looks like we're going down even more: sub-900 this week?

yeah, okay, i'm sure you report all your taxes and pay what the laws actually say. this would make you the literal only person in Argentina who follows the letter of the law. so, no, you don't...you're a liar and haven't responded to any of the things i said that contradict your infantile view of legality. moving on:

MEP real-world for you folks: 939 all holiday weekend. and now looks like we're going down even more: sub-900 this week?

It almost impossible to do all things in white in my country. If anyone says they do 100% in white it lie. My father accountant and he said impossible here to operate or live all in 100% white.

What all you people think will happen with blue dollar? My father say official and blue dollar will merge and will be much higher later this year. I wonder what expat think rate will go.

impossible here to operate or live all in 100% white.
claro que si - es el problema con millones de leyes, y regulación de todo : ) personas regulares son criminales, solo por existir (menos de Vero, quien sigue completamente en el blanco!)

today we're at 939 real-world and dropping! @Che Vos looks like it is headed down, down, down:

along with prices in Pesos, hopefully:

claro que si - es el problema con millones de leyes, y regulación de todo : ) personas regulares son criminales, solo por existir (menos de Vero, quien sigue completamente en el blanco!)

today we're at 939 real-world and dropping! @Che Vos looks like it is headed down, down, down:

along with prices in Pesos, hopefully:

I agree it is impossible to live all in white here. People shouldn't get judgmental. In this country impossible to be all in white. I don't think anyone know what will happen in this country. My savings are in dollars but every week I have to sell my savings to pay expenses.

The stores must discount like that because no one is buying. No one can afford to pay for things. Imagine that coffee for almost 10,000 pesos - $10 USD and the typical worker here makes maybe $600 US per month to 600,000 pesos per month. Take that for each item in store and it very expensive for locals. All the sales falling. Food, electronics, cars everything.

MEP dropped sub-1000 just now Monday 08Apr2024! i haven't posted recently, but the weekend MEP official was 1001 and now post-weekend we're at 985 and dropping! just a heads-up for those of you making large purchases and withdrawing from ATMs...you're going to get much less than a few weeks ago.

Western Union sitting at 1025 still from the weekend. it should go down as well, but it's been higher recently than the MEP, as we discussed previously.

update more soon!

MEP dropped sub-1000 just now Monday 08Apr2024! i haven't posted recently, but the weekend MEP official was 1001 and now post-weekend we're at 985 and dropping! just a heads-up for those of you making large purchases and withdrawing from ATMs...you're going to get much less than a few weeks ago.

Western Union sitting at 1025 still from the weekend. it should go down as well, but it's been higher recently than the MEP, as we discussed previously.

update more soon!
Depressing watching it keep going lower. No telling where it will end up.

looking pretty stable at 1000 Pesos per dollar (official MEP rate), so how long will this last? and does anyone else notice prices have stayed the same for premium items for the past 2 months, whereas basics (milk, coffee, cuts of meat like Falda) are dropping slightly? i just got a liter of fresh whole milk at Cordiez supermarket in Cordoba Province this week for 600 Pesos! that's 1/3 of the price you see it elsewhere...milk got up to 1200-1500 Pesos per liter about a month ago.

looking pretty stable at 1000 Pesos per dollar (official MEP rate), so how long will this last? and does anyone else notice prices have stayed the same for premium items for the past 2 months, whereas basics (milk, coffee, cuts of meat like Falda) are dropping slightly? i just got a liter of fresh whole milk at Cordiez supermarket in Cordoba Province this week for 600 Pesos! that's 1/3 of the price you see it elsewhere...milk got up to 1200-1500 Pesos per liter about a month ago.

That is some good pricing on milk. I haven't noticed it that cheap in BA. My maid buys all my groceries and seems like lately this month it has come down or at least stayed the same except for good coffee and bread also is very expensive lately.

That is some good pricing on milk. I haven't noticed it that cheap in BA. My maid buys all my groceries and seems like lately this month it has come down or at least stayed the same except for good coffee and bread also is very expensive lately.
Why does your maid buy all your groceries? I don't enjoy shopping at supermarkets here as I did back in the States, but I do it because I like to choose my own food.

Why does your maid buy all your groceries? I don't enjoy shopping at supermarkets here as I did back in the States, but I do it because I like to choose my own food.
I also don't enjoy going to the supermarket. My maid also does all the shopping for my family. She knows what we like after 8 years working for us. I didn't mind it in the US as there were many brands I liked and more variety. The grocery stores here mostly are limited and don't have much that I like compared to home. Every December I visit my folks in the US and I love going to the store there. Much more expensive but great variety and fruits and vegetables are organic and fresh at places like Whole Foods.

the maid thing makes sense, if i had fuckaround money, because to get good deals you really have to go to 5 different places (Hypermarket, Fruit/Veggie, Butcher, etc. all located on different blocks). i have been trying Disco (same Cencosud company as Jumbo and Vea) home delivery (no car and groceries are 30-45 mins away walking) and i've just been dealing with whatever they have.

some weeks i can't find fresh milk sachets for under 1200-1500 Pesos, and so i'll buy Long-Life tetra-pak milk for 600-900 Pesos (75 cents to $1 USD). grocery stores are for sure pretty limited, even in huge cities like Cordoba and CABA. Argentines must sh*t themselves when they go to a Wal-Mart of Target for the first time in the States!

another realization i've had about Argentina is that there is a huge middle- and upper-class, and many many many people have so much savings that they don't really need to work, and don't have much expenses. the neighborhood i'm in now has Audis and VW and Ford Raptor trucks, and i see people buying things at the grocery store that i would NEVER pay for (Ramen cups for $2 USD, cuts of steak for 15,000 Pesos/kg, etc.)

the maid thing makes sense, if i had fuckaround money, because to get good deals you really have to go to 5 different places (Hypermarket, Fruit/Veggie, Butcher, etc. all located on different blocks). i have been trying Disco (same Cencosud company as Jumbo and Vea) home delivery (no car and groceries are 30-45 mins away walking) and i've just been dealing with whatever they have.

some weeks i can't find fresh milk sachets for under 1200-1500 Pesos, and so i'll buy Long-Life tetra-pak milk for 600-900 Pesos (75 cents to $1 USD). grocery stores are for sure pretty limited, even in huge cities like Cordoba and CABA. Argentines must sh*t themselves when they go to a Wal-Mart of Target for the first time in the States!

another realization i've had about Argentina is that there is a huge middle- and upper-class, and many many many people have so much savings that they don't really need to work, and don't have much expenses. the neighborhood i'm in now has Audis and VW and Ford Raptor trucks, and i see people buying things at the grocery store that i would NEVER pay for (Ramen cups for $2 USD, cuts of steak for 15,000 Pesos/kg, etc.)

I also have my maid buy things because it is a huge time suck waiting at the store. Very inefficient. I just make a list of things to buy and she buys it. It is very annoying here the lack of good quality food at store. That is what I miss from USA the most. This fake milk drives me crazy. How can a country as big as Argentina with so many cows not have an abundance of fresh milk???

Very true about the wealthy upper middle and upper class here. Especially in Recoleta or Palermo. Seems like all these restaurants are always full and they are most certainly not all tourists. People say poor country but at least in nice neighborhoods like Belgrano, Recoleta Palermo and Puerto Madero every time I go to nice place it's full of locals all spending plenty of money.

Yes for a while prices just kept going up but I notice a few things that have price cuts on them at the store. Still some things are crazy expensive. Like good toilet paper and bread is also expensive here which seems crazy.

Going around to 5 different places is why many here send their maids. The maid for my Novia's family goes around and gets beef, vegetables, groceries, etc. all in different places. Many of her friends seemingly don't really have a good high paying job yet they all live in nice places but their parents pay for it. That seems common here.

Back