Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports Castillo Guerrero Domselaar - with prior reservation

Simongutler

Castillo Guerrero Domselaar is a place full of history and tragedy that is characterized by its imposing French style: mansard roofs, columns, a high basement, attic on the roof and 24 rooms of ample size, mostly preserved thanks to the permanent refurbishment.

Inside the house are preserved relics of the time as the authentic Chinese baton with more than 150 years old that Martin de Alzaga (her husband) gave to Felicitas, a woman of high society, who was the owner of one of the largest fortunes in the country at the time, being widowed at a young age, or the 1856 mounted police lefuser revolver with which Ocampo, the scorned lover of Felicitas, killed her when she was only 25 years old.

1708430171397.png1708430201996.png

Opinion: I found this place thanks to the instagram vivamosba

It attracts to know it x the history about Felicitas Guerrero de Alzaga and her family, the rich library, ornaments and period furniture that Castle was built after her death so she did not live there. Beautiful and well kept park but the castle is said to be under repair. The castle is quite deteriorated, I hope they get the money to restore it. Entrance fee $ 2000 with guided tour. The explanation is a little long for my taste, one hour, the benches are uncomfortable, you can take your chair and your thermos to make it more enjoyable. It is very nice and interesting. The castle is quite deteriorated but you can see the splendor it once had. They do not sell anything to eat or drink. At the end of the visit you can stay and enjoy the grounds. There is no incentive to bring your mate or coffee or whatever you like. There are garbage cans to keep the place clean. It has very clean restrooms.

It is a nice Sunday walk, starting with lunch before or after at the grill next door, do not miss it! The visit starts with a 1 hour and 10 minutes story that could have lasted 30 minutes. And instead of so much talk, take advantage of the time to visit the inside of the castle, which is a bit short because you have to divide into 2 groups to enter. So it is little time to go around. But beyond that it is a nice walk.

Back