Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Can multiple names be listed on a title deed when buying an apartment?

fool in love

I am thinking about buying an apartment for my girlfriend but I am trying to decide if I should just keep my name on the title deed or if I should also add her name to the title deed. She told me I don't need to do this but I am wondering if it is possible to have both our names on the title deed? I would appreciate any advice if someone has done this before.

I am thinking about buying an apartment for my girlfriend but I am trying to decide if I should just keep my name on the title deed or if I should also add her name to the title deed. She told me I don't need to do this but I am wondering if it is possible to have both our names on the title deed? I would appreciate any advice if someone has done this before.
It is possible to have multiple names on the title deed and jointly own a property. Just keep in mind, later should you break up or if something happens to the relationship, you won't be to sell this property without the agreement of your girlfriend and vice versa. We have seen some nightmare scenarios over the years. You should think out all the pros and cons before deciding to do something like this. But it's not a problem to have multiple names on a title deed (escritura).

It is possible to have multiple names on the title deed and jointly own a property. Just keep in mind, later should you break up or if something happens to the relationship, you won't be to sell this property without the agreement of your girlfriend and vice versa. We have seen some nightmare scenarios over the years. You should think out all the pros and cons before deciding to do something like this. But it's not a problem to have multiple names on a title deed (escritura).
This happened to two of my friends that purchased an apartment together in Recoleta many years ago. One loved it and one wanted to sell it. The situation was tense. That situation was different as they both put in 50% of the funds to buy the property and furniture. I am not sure if your girlfriend @fool in love is contributing anything but in my friends situation they did not have anything agreed ahead of time.

The value went up drastically and one wanted to sell and one did not. The one that did not want to sell did not want to pay an inflated price for the other 50% and the one that wanted to sell wanted 50% of the increased value. After seeing that I would recommend that you have all the various scenarios worked out how you might handle that.

Or reading from your other post, it seems like your relationship is new. Maybe just buy the apartment and put it under your name and let her live there free and see how the relationship goes. I wouldn't rush into an apartment purchase on a new relationship. But that is just me.

Are you crazy??!! Don't do this. You are just asking for trouble. Trust me on this. I have gone through this a few times.

I am not sure if you are planning on living with her first but maybe try renting an apartment together for a year and living together first. I tell my friends that it's one thing to date someone but living together you can see what life will be like. If things work out then you can buy something together.

Everyone has made great comments on this thread. As mentioned, it's possible to do this but you should think about the possible challenges in the future. I actually was in a similar scenario 22+ years ago. I was dating a girl in Rio de Janeiro and she wanted to buy an apartment as an investment but she didn't have enough money so I went in with her on the investment. Real estate was much much cheaper at that time. We bought the apartment together and had both our names on the title deed. I used the apartment for many years as she was living in Italy as a fashion model. I more than got plenty of use out of it and would have spent more money at hotels vs. the times I used it.

I didn't really care about the money aspect of it as I wanted to help her buy it and I also wanted a place that I could use when I was in Rio. And I knew the value would drastically rise (which it did). I just told her when she sold it (if she ever did) to just pay me back what I contributed towards it. I figured she would never sell it as it was an entire floor apartment one block from the beach in Copacabana and she is living off the rental income of that property.

@fool in love if you want to do it then do it. Just think things through and all the possible scenarios. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions about your situation. I have had many clients that have done the same thing as you're planning to do.

Everyone has made great comments on this thread. As mentioned, it's possible to do this but you should think about the possible challenges in the future. I actually was in a similar scenario 22+ years ago. I was dating a girl in Rio de Janeiro and she wanted to buy an apartment as an investment but she didn't have enough money so I went in with her on the investment. Real estate was much much cheaper at that time. We bought the apartment together and had both our names on the title deed. I used the apartment for many years as she was living in Italy as a fashion model. I more than got plenty of use out of it and would have spent more money at hotels vs. the times I used it.

I didn't really care about the money aspect of it as I wanted to help her buy it and I also wanted a place that I could use when I was in Rio. And I knew the value would drastically rise (which it did). I just told her when she sold it (if she ever did) to just pay me back what I contributed towards it. I figured she would never sell it as it was an entire floor apartment one block from the beach in Copacabana and she is living off the rental income of that property.

@fool in love if you want to do it then do it. Just think things through and all the possible scenarios. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions about your situation. I have had many clients that have done the same thing as you're planning to do.
Thank you to everyone for the great comments and advice. I will think about it in greater detail. @earlyretirement thanks for sharing that wonderful story. I just sent you a DM. Thanks.

Yes I did this with my partner when we purchased many years ago. I would strongly recommend to have a last will and testament in Argentina for your interest in the property. Wills are not valid from the USA so you should think about this point as it is much easier to structure this ahead of time. Or even if you purchased a property here alone. It is a good idea to have a will detailing how you want the property to go to in the event you pass away.

This happened to two of my friends that purchased an apartment together in Recoleta many years ago. One loved it and one wanted to sell it. The situation was tense. That situation was different as they both put in 50% of the funds to buy the property and furniture. I am not sure if your girlfriend @fool in love is contributing anything but in my friends situation they did not have anything agreed ahead of time.

The value went up drastically and one wanted to sell and one did not. The one that did not want to sell did not want to pay an inflated price for the other 50% and the one that wanted to sell wanted 50% of the increased value. After seeing that I would recommend that you have all the various scenarios worked out how you might handle that.

Or reading from your other post, it seems like your relationship is new. Maybe just buy the apartment and put it under your name and let her live there free and see how the relationship goes. I wouldn't rush into an apartment purchase on a new relationship. But that is just me.
This is good advice. I purchased an apartment with a friend in Recoleta and this exact situation happened to us. I ended up selling my half of the apartment to my friend but I could have gotten much more if we sold it. This was a few years ago. Make sure you have agreement on this.

Thank you to everyone for the great comments and advice. I will think about it in greater detail. @earlyretirement thanks for sharing that wonderful story. I just sent you a DM. Thanks.
@fool in love and of course if you make an honest woman out of her and get married both names go on the title deed. I am going through this process now. Both me and my wife's name will be on the deed.

Back