Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Be careful lots of counterfeit 2,000 peso bills floating out there

Yes. I got one the other day. I now check every single bill from the money exchange firms. I would think it costs some money to make these. Hard to believe they go through all this trouble for $2 bucks.

Unfortunately people are desperate again. Last time I got a fake bill was a 100 peso note when they were worth over $25 USD. Those fakes look fairly obvious. I always check each and every bill even at cuevas I have been to many times.

Actually some of the fakes floating out there are pretty darn good. A few friends got some of those trucha 2,000 peso notes. I would have to believe that at least half of that goes towards paper and ink but I guess if they make enough of them it's a good profit still.

All the people very desperate. This is what happens when you have a very bad President. All the people desperate to eat.

I'm surprised that someone that has been around as long as BowtiedMara got conned but I guess I don't always check my bills right away when getting a lot of bills at a cueva. They just put it through a money counter in front of me and I don't always check them until I am going to use them. A good lesson to always check each and every bill before you leave the cueva. They will probably get annoyed with you checking every bill but better to be safe than sorry.

You are right! from now on you have to take the time to check every bill, I also go to the cuevas and get my bills there, I never check them...You have to look at every detail now:

1715022298027.jpeg

You are right! from now on you have to take the time to check every bill, I also go to the cuevas and get my bills there, I never check them...You have to look at every detail now:

View attachment 5163

There's no way people can check every single bill to make sure all of those things are legit. I know I couldn't. Maybe a few bills but definitely not a stack.

Perhaps paying close attention to the 2000-peso bills is necessary. I often find that I'm paid mostly with 1000-peso bills; it seems there aren't many 2000-peso bills in circulation. For instance, today I received only 10 bills of 2000 pesos, with the rest all in 1000-peso bills.

@wonka, yes, it is necessary, but I don't think I could take that much time at a teller's window checking a stack of bills. Maybe we will have to, if this becomes a serious problem. Hopefully not.

There's no way people can check every single bill to make sure all of those things are legit. I know I couldn't. Maybe a few bills but definitely not a stack.
Yes agree that it would be annoying for everyone in line. Maybe this will be solved once the new 20,000 peso notes come out but then again, most likely the con artists will perfect the 20,000 peso note since they are worth more. I hope this isn't a recurrent problem once the newer higher denomination bills come out.

@wonka, yes, it is necessary, but I don't think I could take that much time at a teller's window checking a stack of bills. Maybe we will have to, if this becomes a serious problem. Hopefully not.
Trust me that these con artists are VERY good! When I was buying my apartment many years ago I got a $100 USD bill from a cueva and it passed all the tests including money counter as they used actual paper from bills and bleached it and printed it so it will pass a money counter's safety feature. It was very good so I think once the bigger bills come out we will have to check each time even if it takes up a tellers time.

Back