Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Be careful guys.....

Colombia looks pretty bad at the moment.

I have only seen a couple of cases reported here where the Black Widows have drugged their unassuming boyfriends.

Just be on your guard guys!
Yes, I posted about this on Twitter. I also posted on TripAdvisor. It's shocking some of the reactions from locals. Even a Destination Expert on TripAdvisor posted something to the effect of, "those kind of tourists deserve it". I was shocked. I was like, "NO, NO tourist deserves to get murdered while on vacation. I don't care if you're going on a Tinder date. Seems shocking to read the mentality of some locals there.

Under NO exception should anyone have the attitude that a tourist deserves to be murdered. I've been posted for several months that Colombia is a totally overrated tourist destination. It's ok to visit and the people are really friendly but lately many foreigners being murdered in Medellin. NOT good for tourism.

My partner's sister who's a police officer was robbed two days ago (not sure if at gun point but most likely yes) and they took her car. So much for being civilized. Just saying. :ROFLMAO:
Wow this is horrible. Was this on the job or just when she wasn't working and off the job? Was it at gun point? What kind of car was it and which neighborhood? Can you post in the crime report section?

sister who's a police officer
i wondered about that; there are a HUGE number of female police in CABA. like, when i was a cop, there was one female per 35 guys, something like that, in two different counties/states. here, i see almost a 40% female spread (diversity quota?) - are Argentines just that much more respectful of females that it all works? because the thugs in big-city USA would love to take advantage of their physical advantage to commit more crimes

i wondered about that; there are a HUGE number of female police in CABA. like, when i was a cop, there was one female per 35 guys, something like that, in two different counties/states. here, i see almost a 40% female spread (diversity quota?) - are Argentines just that much more respectful of females that it all works? because the thugs in big-city USA would love to take advantage of their physical advantage to commit more crimes

It is like that in some places in South America. If you go to Peru it seems like in Lima almost all the police are females. I'm not sure why? Maybe they find criminals are less aggressive towards females? I'm not sure but I noticed it my last time in Lima.

Colombia looks pretty bad at the moment.

I have only seen a couple of cases reported here where the Black Widows have drugged their unassuming boyfriends.

Just be on your guard guys!
Yikes! This is terrible! Can you imagine going from thinking the date is going great to being killed! Reminder to myself. Don't use Tinder in Colombia.

I used to visit Colombia three or 4 times a year , when I was younger and single.

The great thing is that all my business associates were the same age with the same interests and had loads of nice female friends.

Tinder hadnt been invented but there would have been no need for it.

I used to visit Colombia three or 4 times a year , when I was younger and single.

The great thing is that all my business associates were the same age with the same interests and had loads of nice female friends.

Tinder hadnt been invented but there would have been no need for it.
I agree. I have visited Colombia many times and no need for Tinder. The country is crawling with beautiful girls/women. I didn't have any trouble meeting anyone. I went to the supermarket and would meet girls. Go to the shopping mall, My problem was meeting too many Colombianas! They seem to like foreigners.

Yes, I posted about this on Twitter. I also posted on TripAdvisor. It's shocking some of the reactions from locals. Even a Destination Expert on TripAdvisor posted something to the effect of, "those kind of tourists deserve it". I was shocked. I was like, "NO, NO tourist deserves to get murdered while on vacation. I don't care if you're going on a Tinder date. Seems shocking to read the mentality of some locals there.

Under NO exception should anyone have the attitude that a tourist deserves to be murdered. I've been posted for several months that Colombia is a totally overrated tourist destination. It's ok to visit and the people are really friendly but lately many foreigners being murdered in Medellin. NOT good for tourism.

I can give some light on this, the mayor of Medillin is very "anti gringo" and there is currently a major narrative being pushed that a flood of gringos are coming into the city, renting airbnbs and then using them for under age prostitution. Whether this is true or just a cynical political angle by the mayor, who knows, but this is the information being fed to the average Colombian citizen. Last month the mayor held 3 days in a row of press conferences talking about this "epidemic"

So when a Colombian says "these tourists deserve to die" they are talking about the underage sex tourists they have been told are invading the city en masse. Needless to say the atmosphere is very tense right now if you are a foreigner so take maximum care if travelling to Colombia especially if you can't speak spanish !!!

I can give some light on this, the mayor of Medillin is very "anti gringo" and there is currently a major narrative being pushed that a flood of gringos are coming into the city, renting airbnbs and then using them for under age prostitution. Whether this is true or just a cynical political angle by the mayor, who knows, but this is the information being fed to the average Colombian citizen. Last month the mayor held 3 days in a row of press conferences talking about this "epidemic"

So when a Colombian says "these tourists deserve to die" they are talking about the underage sex tourists they have been told are invading the city en masse. Needless to say the atmosphere is very tense right now if you are a foreigner so take maximum care if travelling to Colombia especially if you can't speak spanish !!!
The problem seems to be that the bandwagon is growing and there seems to be a general trend against tourism. I have friends living there and they are not ugly sex tourists and have lived there for many years. But they told me they feel resentment lately and there are even signs being posted saying gringos go home.

The problem seems to be that the bandwagon is growing and there seems to be a general trend against tourism. I have friends living there and they are not ugly sex tourists and have lived there for many years. But they told me they feel resentment lately and there are even signs being posted saying gringos go home.

Yeah that is exactly the problem, maybe 0.005 % of tourists are these disgusting tourists who "deserve to die" but right now the other 99 % are being lumped in and it is creating a very scarey situation

I think that Medellin has a certain percentage of tourists that are just "ugly tourists" and the type of tourist that no city wants. Many are going there just for drugs or sex. I really hate that sort of tourist. In my younger years, I visited Medellin several times and I would see that type and just avoid like the plague. Just bad news hanging out with that type.

I have many friends and clients that live in Medellin and they say the situation can be tense as tourists are getting blamed for everything under the sun for price increases, higher rents and many other things that don't have anything to do with tourism.

I know that Medellin as a vacation destination has increased with many tourists. I have female friends and even friends that took their kids there and enjoyed Colombia. Me personally, I'm not crazy about Colombia. I have visited many times but I think there are far better cities around the world vs. Medellin and some of the other cities in Colombia.

This is true. This past weekend my best friend and his wife (from Colombia) were eating dinner at my house. Her sister was in town and she lives in Medellin and I was asking her about this trend of anti-gringos and she was going on and on about how bad the sex tourism is. She said she used to be able to walk in nice malls or restaurants or bars with her husband but now it's just full of senior citizens with young girls. She said the locals used to see it and not say anything and now they are getting angry when they see that.

I told her, I doubted the guys will stop coming until the girls stop offering pay to play services. I'm not sure what % of the tourists coming to Medellin are the type portrayed by the Mayor there. I really don't enjoy spending time in Colombia at all these days. I took my family there last year but they were all just meh attitude about the country. The people there are wonderful and parts of the country are beautiful but I just find so many other better places around the world to go to.

Yeah that is exactly the problem, maybe 0.005 % of tourists are these disgusting tourists who "deserve to die" but right now the other 99 % are being lumped in and it is creating a very scarey situation
I totally agree with you @HannibalLector. It is not bad at all in Cartagena or Bogota. I am in Peru now but I spent a few weeks traveling around in Colombia and I enjoyed my visit to Colombia but I definitely felt some resentment in Medellin. There are a lot of tourists in Medellin that are well mannered and polite. I visited Comuna 13 and there were a lot of Americans in my English speaking group. But several commented they felt some resentment.

I speak some Spanish and I met up with some friends there. I went out on a date with a friend of a friend but it was the first time that I felt strange as people were gawking and felt like pointing at me. I have been to Medellin before but this was the first time I felt some hostility. I never felt like this traveling in Latin America. I don't understand this resentment. I would have to believe tourists are good for the economy but it seems like not many care right now and the Mayor's anti-gringo attitude is going to do a lot of harm to the city.

I get why many single guys like going there. I think it has some of the most beautiful girls in Latin America there. I hope things change there with the anti-gringo sentiment. I don't think any tourist deserves to die. But many murders the past few months of tourists.

Are you there now in Colombia @HannibalLector? How is the situation for an American female? My friend and I were thinking of going to Medellin and Cartagena once I get to BA in a few weeks to check the scene out. We heard they have hot guys. Would it be safe for a blonde hair blue eyed gringa?

Are you there now in Colombia @HannibalLector? How is the situation for an American female? My friend and I were thinking of going to Medellin and Cartagena once I get to BA in a few weeks to check the scene out. We heard they have hot guys. Would it be safe for a blonde hair blue eyed gringa?
Lol I've seen passport bros, it was only a matter of time to start seeing passport broads.

Back