Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports Trip Report January 2024 - Puerto Iguazu, Buenos Aires, El Chalten, Ushuaia.

Miriam145

Argentina has long been a dream destination for me, despite not being one of the first countries I visited. The pandemic delayed my plans, but when the borders reopened in January 2024, I jumped at the chance. Over 18 days, my partner and I explored six diverse destinations in this vast country.

Puerto Iguazu greeted us with its Wild West ambiance and served as our gateway to the breathtaking Iguazu Falls, a must-see attraction straddling Argentina and Brazil. In Salta and Jujuy we discovered landscapes reminiscent of another planet, with indigenous influences adding to the region's charm. Our stay in northwestern Argentina was enhanced by visits to unique geological formations and colorful towns.

Buenos Aires, South America's second largest city, captivated us with its European flair and vibrant neighborhoods. Architectural wonders and picturesque plazas enchanted us at every turn. Its cosmopolitan atmosphere and varied culinary offerings made it an outstanding destination.

El Chaltén, nicknamed the hiking capital, offers exhilarating excursions amidst breathtaking scenery. We tackled challenging trails to Laguna de Los Tres and Laguna Torre, rewarded with incomparable views of the Patagonian landscape. Nearby El Calafate gave us access to the iconic Perito Moreno Glacier, a fascinating natural wonder.

Ushuaia, known as the "end of the world," charmed us with its remote location and unpredictable weather. Despite the harsh conditions, we ventured into Tierra del Fuego National Park and embarked on a Beagle Channel cruise to spot wildlife. A visit to Martillo Island allowed us to observe penguins in their natural habitat, a highlight of our southernmost adventure.

Navigating Argentina's vast expanse was made easier by its well-connected flight network, although road travel remains an option. Despite the logistical difficulties, the country's affordability surprised us, as the ability to exchange currency on the black market meant considerable savings.

Argentina's rich culinary landscape delighted our taste buds, with first-class steaks and indulgent desserts such as dulce de leche. Argentine culture is steeped in European influences, evident in its architecture, language and cuisine. Despite some logistical setbacks, the warmth and hospitality of the Argentines made our trip memorable.

In short, Argentina offers a perfect introduction to South America, with its diverse landscapes, vibrant cities and rich cultural heritage just waiting to be explored.

Why Argentina is one of the best countries in the world?​

As of writing this, I have visited six other countries in South America (Brazil, Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay) and four other Latin American countries (Panama, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Costa Rica). Until now Colombia, Peru and Costa Rica were or are my top3 in this category and after the Argentina trip the question arises where I would rank this country.

When you look at all the places you can visit in Argentina, plus the food, the people and how easy and stress-free it is to travel around the country, I think Argentina is one of the best destinations in the world. Add to that the tremendously low prices thanks to the blue dollar, and Argentina offers some of the best value for money in the world. Maybe even the best.
Before this trip to Argentina, Colombia was my number one country on the continent. This place now goes to Argentina. For now at least. While I spent 18 days in Argentina, it was only 10 in Colombia. With a second trip and additional places visited, Colombia might pass again. Or not. It doesn’t really matter anyway, because both countries are great.

Of all the places we saw in Argentina, I couldn’t even say which was the highlight. All places were great. With the Iguazu Falls in their tropical environment, the dry and barren landscapes of Salta and Jujuy, the metropolis Buenos Aires, the alpine landscapes of Patagonia and the windy and wild end of the world in Ushuaia, we have experienced a trip that would not have been possible more diverse.

The good thing is that there are still enough exciting places in Argentina which I couldn’t visit on this first trip. For example Mendoza, Córdoba, Bariloche plus one or the other national park. And then there is Buenos Aires, a city that will inspire me a second time. So Argentina is guaranteed to be a country that will see me again someday.

Excellent trip report and I agree with you that Argentina is the best country in the continent. Nothing comes close. Thanks for sharing.

Argentina is beautiful. I have also been traveling around. Iguazu was breathtaking. Calafate was like nothing I have ever seen. What a vast country.

Each destination is a unique experience. Very well organized trip for all the areas you visited. Which one would you say was the best?

Each destination is a unique experience. Very well organized trip for all the areas you visited. Which one would you say was the best?
Well, I don't know which one is the best because they are all different. If you like the city and touring old things Buenos Aires is the best. Now you like to live with nature, the best is Iguazu. And if you like to connect with nature the best option is Chalten where you can hike through beautiful landscapes. The only one I don't recommend to stay in Ushuaia is Ushuaia because there are not many activities other than the ones I put...

Well, I don't know which one is the best because they are all different. If you like the city and touring old things Buenos Aires is the best. Now you like to live with nature, the best is Iguazu. And if you like to connect with nature the best option is Chalten where you can hike through beautiful landscapes. The only one I don't recommend to stay in Ushuaia is Ushuaia because there are not many activities other than the ones I put...

That's true, thank you very much for your opinion

Back